Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Zurich REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Zurich REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 29, 2018, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
When I hear Wow factor I think like the newest and largest cruise ships.
"Wow" and Switzerland don't really go in the same sentence for me. Unless we're talking about chocolate or an alpine landscape
PortlySpartacus likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:06 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
"Wow" doesn't have to be flashy or non-classy. It's about providing memorable experiences that go beyond the basics. (e.g. my examples at the Prince Gallery, or St. Regis Chengdu)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Just stayed here this week for one night using points and a TSU. Check In was a relative disaster.
Arrive at 11am. No room available (Obviously no problem). He says he can offer me two things.
One: He can provide me with an Ambassador Suite "typically at a rate of about 2400 CHF over the room you asked for, but today can offer for 1200 CHF". Oook. Pass.
Two: He can offer a corner suite, typically at 1200 CHF premium for 600 CHF.

I thought it was extremely tacky to try to upsell a guest on check in. Certainly I have heard of a hotel maybe saying--your room type is not available, but a lower level is available if you would like to downgrade for free.

I was hungry anyway. Front Desk recommended a few spots and said they would call when a room was available. I leave my luggage to eat and explore for a couple of hours. Return at 1:20 to check on things. Associate (different from first) says the room is not quite ready, but will be in 30 minutes. No problem. I let her know I will just relax on the couch in the lobby right next to registration. 55 minutes pass--I am about to check in with her when she comes over with a key. Luggage is in the room she says and I prepare to relax.

Luggage is not in the room. I call down to let them know--they assure me they will get right on it. 15 minutes pass. I call again--speak to a different person. Explain the situation and she assures me they will get right on it. 10 more minutes pass. I give up. I go downstairs to see what is going on. They seem perplexed and realize my luggage is still just sitting in the storage area. I take it up myself for a rather uneventful afternoon.

At checkout--I see the gentlemen that original checked me in/tried to up-sell me on the room. He said he had heard about all of the luggage troubles and apologizes. He says "I hope you enjoyed the corner suite that we upgraded you too!" I had no idea I had been further upgraded, but all I can think is "this is the same room you tried to sell me for an additional 600CHF??"

Anyway--more of a vent--but I found the service lapses to be completely unacceptable for a hotel of that standard.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
You should provide that feedback directly to the hotel. I wouldn't expect that type of treatment from any PH hotel
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
You should provide that feedback directly to the hotel. I wouldn't expect that type of treatment from any PH hotel
I fully agree. We will be staying there in October. I better not run into "service" like that.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Just stayed here this week for one night using points and a TSU. Check In was a relative disaster.
Arrive at 11am. No room available (Obviously no problem). He says he can offer me two things.
One: He can provide me with an Ambassador Suite "typically at a rate of about 2400 CHF over the room you asked for, but today can offer for 1200 CHF". Oook. Pass.
Two: He can offer a corner suite, typically at 1200 CHF premium for 600 CHF.
The suite pricing has obviously changed somewhat since the new Park Suites were introduced combining rooms x13 and x14 into just x14 (see post number 278). Around that time (June 2016) the corner suites were priced just CHF 100 more than the new Park King Suite (now seemingly called Park Suite).

The numbers quoted above make no sense at all. The original poster claimed they had a one night stay booked with points using a TSU and claimed they were offered a corner suite, typically a CHF 1200 premium for CHF 600.

Unless I am missing something, looking at the room rates, the standard rate differential between the Park Suite and Park Corner Suite is CHF 450 (not reflecting any proposed 50% discount).
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
The suite pricing has obviously changed somewhat since the new Park Suites were introduced combining rooms x13 and x14 into just x14 (see post number 278). Around that time (June 2016) the corner suites were priced just CHF 100 more than the new Park King Suite (now seemingly called Park Suite).

The numbers quoted above make no sense at all. The original poster claimed they had a one night stay booked with points using a TSU and claimed they were offered a corner suite, typically a CHF 1200 premium for CHF 600.

Unless I am missing something, looking at the room rates, the standard rate differential between the Park Suite and Park Corner Suite is CHF 450 (not reflecting any proposed 50% discount).
I believe the room they had assigned me for my TSU was a Park Junior Suite. Perhaps that explains the discrepancy? I just grabbed a random night next week and that difference was 1100 (rather than 1200)?

Either way--I wasn't checking the actual difference in pricing--that was simply what I was told, and offered. Doesn't change the fact that it was awfully tacky IMO, nor does it explain the service lapses as a whole at check-in.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:01 pm

I actually checked out of this property on the 12th as part of a 3 night stay. Sorry to hear about your issues, but I have to say that every aspect of our stay was on-par with typical PH standards. I was staying as a GOH and was upgraded to a Jr. Suite, which was a pretty nice room. Our 1 yr old was treated extremely well and had a whole host of amenities waiting for him in the room.

Only complaint was that the sunshade on the exterior of the window seemed to have a mind of its own and the controls only worked about half of the time. It never failed that the shade would suddenly raise around 3-4pm right as the sun was directly hitting the room and the little guy was napping right in front of the window in his crib. Other than that weird issue, no complaints!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
I paid 500 CHF supplement for a corner suite earlier this year. Booked a base room on FHR rate, and they had upgraded me to Jr. Suite. Explorist (and falling). It was a big discount over the published rates (was like 1100 CHF differential from Jr. Suite to Corner Suite, 1600 from my booked room).
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:49 pm

Airport Transportation

What is the best way to get to the airport on a Sunday morning with 2 large 50# bags? We don't want to pay for the hotel limo which is CHF120. Train is not feasible with this luggage. Would taxi or Uber be best? Uber shows UberX, Uber Green, and Uber Black. I've never heard of Uber Green. If Uber is better than a taxi, which category of car would we need for 2 people and this baggage (plus 2 handbags)? Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
What is the best way to get to the airport on a Sunday morning with 2 large 50# bags? We don't want to pay for the hotel limo which is CHF120. Train is not feasible with this luggage. Would taxi or Uber be best? Uber shows UberX, Uber Green, and Uber Black. I've never heard of Uber Green. If Uber is better than a taxi, which category of car would we need for 2 people and this baggage (plus 2 handbags)? Thanks for any help.
Uber Green is electric cars. Depending on how large your bags are, UberX could/should be OK with just two pax. Is there not an XL option in Switzerland?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Well, UberX or Green seem risky because you might end up with something too small. And if you're going to take Uber Black you might as well go with a taxi which will cost about the same (60-70 CHF) anyhow but without the extra hassle of trying to find your driver and match license plates.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:13 am

I would take a taxi. The taxis this hotel uses are befitting of the property. I got an S class Merc last time.

BTW, I also used the car service my first stay and it was really nice and not an unreasonable price for hotel limo. The driver walked me all the way to LX J check-in.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:33 am

I can't believe how expensive a taxi or a private transfer are (~CHF 70) for a 20-25 minute ride. How practical is it to use the train with luggage? Is there storage space on the train for 2 large bags and a carryon ?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
I can't believe how expensive a taxi or a private transfer are (~CHF 70) for a 20-25 minute ride. How practical is it to use the train with luggage? Is there storage space on the train for 2 large bags and a carryon ?
My wife (who was about 20 weeks pregnant) and I stayed here last September and had 2 large bags and backpacks. When we arrived we took a train from the airport to the main Zurich station and then walked to the hotel. When we left we took the tram (about 2 blocks away) and then the train to the airport.

The trains had small luggage areas on the second level (which was difficult to get up because of the steep steps) that we utilized. On our way in we didn't have any problems because we were after the morning rush hour. The tram was very tight with our luggage and we essentially kept it as close to us as we could in our seats.

I'd say it might make sense to take the train from Zurich airport to the main station and then possibly Uber from there or see if you feel like you can make it on foot/tram.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.