FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Kota Kinabalu - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/341728-hyatt-regency-kota-kinabalu-review-master-thread.html)

mikew99 Jul 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by 54austin (Post 21115848)
I have a two-night stay there in a few months and am wondering what the Diamond and club-level amenities are. Particularly curious about the evening drinks/hors d'ouevres. Thanks.

I was able to find the welcome letter from a past stay. Here is the partial text of the welcome letter I received in 2012:

The Regency Club Lounge on the 13th floor has recently been redesigned with an elegant and inviting look and a private meeting room has been added for the exclusive use of Regency Club guests. This area is a dedicated non-smoking environment and is open daily from 6:30am to 10:00pm. An extended Continental Breakfast will be served between 6:30am to 10:00am during Weekdays, and the hours of 6:30am to 10:30am during Weekends and Public holidays. The Lounge also offers complimentary refreshments throughout the day as well as dedicated workstations with complimentary broadband Internet access. For beautiful sunsets overlooking the dotted coral islands of Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park we would like to invite you to join us for the evening cocktail hour including canapes and premium beverages from 5:00pm to 7:00pm.

Should you wish to invite non-resident guests to the Regency Club Lounge, kindly note that a small charge applies; our colleagues at the Regency Club Reception will assist you further. The dress code for the Lounge is smart casual. A dedicated team will be delighted to assist you with your room registration and to provide you with any other Concierge services such as dinner reservations, travel requirements.
My most recent stay at the Hyatt Kinabalu was in May 2013, so if you have any other questions, let me know.

54austin Jul 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99 (Post 21116508)
I was able to find the welcome letter from a past stay. Here is the partial text of the welcome letter I received in 2012:

My most recent stay at the Hyatt Kinabalu was in May 2013, so if you have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks! That was very helpful.

Do you think the Hyatt is a better hotel than the Le Meridien (I'm SPG plat)? I'll be in BKI with my partner for 2D/2N (before embarking for Sandakan) for leisure.

mikew99 Jul 29, 2013 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by 54austin (Post 21177412)
Do you think the Hyatt is a better hotel than the Le Meridien (I'm SPG plat)? I'll be in BKI with my partner for 2D/2N (before embarking for Sandakan) for leisure.

I am only SPG Preferred, and as a Hyatt Diamond I have chosen to stay at the Hyatt rather than the LM for my visits to KK, so I don't have much basis for comparison. Both the hotels are centrally located, so that is not an issue. The Hyatt was renovated just a couple of years ago, and both the suites and the regular rooms I've stayed in are new and very comfortable.

MAN Flyer Jul 30, 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by 54austin (Post 21177412)

Definitely, although I do like the lounge in LM.

kevino Jul 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Both hotels are nice with different atmospheres. You have a very good chance of getting a suite at the LM as a Plat. At the Hyatt, you'll have to use a suite ug or use more points for a suite award.

54austin Dec 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Has anyone taken a taxi from the airport to the Hyatt recently? I'm wondering how much the hotel's upcharge is - their cost is 80 MYR or about 24 USD.

mikew99 Dec 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by 54austin (Post 21961724)
Has anyone taken a taxi from the airport to the Hyatt recently? I'm wondering how much the hotel's upcharge is - their cost is 80 MYR or about 24 USD.

It's been awhile since I took a taxi to the Hyatt from BKI (I usually have friends pick me up and drop me off), but taxis from BKI operate on a fixed price ticket system. To and From the Airport (which is useful but frequently out of date) says the cost should be about MYR 20, so figure about MYR 25-30 now. Either way, MYR 80 is two or thee times what you'll pay at the airport.

54austin Jan 16, 2014 7:28 am

Brief review

Stayed Dec 30 – Jan 1 (on the way to Kinabatangan River, a must!). The hotel is adjacent to a mall and across the street from several bars and restaurants. It’s also across the street from the water, affording it a great location. I used a suite upgrade certificate for the two nights. The suite was big, but nothing special (aside from the huge, dead cockroach we found stuck to the floor). In the bedroom, the a/c vent directed air to our heads as we slept. Hopefully, this is just the case in #509. Check-in handled at the club. Friendly service. Evening spread included chicken, vegetable samosas, “sushi”, cheeses, deserts, and soup (cream of asparagus, I believe). Self-service bar. Breakfast was fine – breads and pastries, cheeses, cereals, fruit, congee with fixings and made to order eggs. My only quibble with service is that there was no Diamond recognition. I had to ask about the amenity. There’s a taxi counter at BKI where a voucher to the hotel costs 30MYR.

danger Feb 11, 2014 7:24 pm

http://www.travelzoo.com/au/local-de...z_adid=1685418

price123 Feb 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by danger (Post 22332240)

Prefer points plus cash of 2500+$45/night...
Staying next week, don't have high expectations but cheap and a good base for a short break to see the orangs.

abitlost Feb 14, 2014 11:24 pm

I checked in last night for a week-long, and my first impressions are extremely favorable. The staff with whom I have interacted so far have been very warm, gracious, and helpful.

abitlost Feb 23, 2014 5:10 am

Hyatt Regency Kota Kinabalu - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I really loved this hotel and its warm, hard-working staff. I hope to return soon. the lounge staff were really cool with food-sensitivity issues. if anyone needs to eat gluten-free for serious medical issues, the restaurant chilli vanilla a block away is awesome.

price123 Feb 23, 2014 9:21 am

Originally Posted by abitlost (Post 22400663)
I really loved this hotel and its warm, hard-working staff. I hope to return soon. the lounge staff were really cool with food-sensitivy issues. if anyone needs to eat gluten-free for serious medical issues, the restaurant chilli vanilla a block away is awesome.

I hesitate to criticize anything here, but I would go nuts if I worked in the lounge and had to listen to the same lite jazz-ish muzak cover cd all day. The staff endure it with aplomb, though.

Agree re the CD. However, the hotel's Japanese restaurant is pretty good for a gluten-free diet too (as long as careful with order).

We had a great stay, although it felt too short. Fantastic value for money or points. Review to follow shortly.

abitlost Apr 20, 2014 10:05 pm

I returned to this hotel twice since my first posting and continue to love the place. The staff is outstanding across the board, and the town is great in general. I totally sounds like a plant but genuinely enjoy the hotel.

madguy2 Apr 22, 2014 4:57 am

Originally Posted by abitlost (Post 22734604)
I returned to this hotel twice since my first posting and continue to love the place. The staff is outstanding across the board, and the town is great in general. I totally sounds like a plant but genuinely enjoy the hotel.

Maybe posting a couple of things which you like would be better?

Also, did anyone experience any issues with noise as there are some renovations going on there?

per the website:
"Hyatt Regency Kinabalu will be undergoing major renovations works to upgrade its restaurants from December 2013 to year end 2014"