FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Grand Hyatt Beijing REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/336375-grand-hyatt-beijing-review-master-thread.html)

RichardInSF Jul 11, 2004 8:31 am

Grand Hyatt Beijing REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I am writing this from the RC in the GH Beijing where we were upgraded to a suite upon arrival (although this was not necessarily due to being diamond but rather through a lucky connection at the PHT last week). I would say that not having club access beginning September 1 would be a major degradation, although I don't know if this hotel regularly upgrades Diamonds to the club floor or not.

This is a fine hotel. Two negatives: NEVER trust anything the concierge says (if they recommend a place or a service, I get the very strong feeling there is some sort of kickback involved) and the cleanser used in the rooms leaves a strong perpetual smell of ammonia.

The pool is incredible, as everyone will tell you. The rooms are excellent. There is access to a huge luxury mall directly underneath the hotel, and one can also access the Beijing subway that way. TianAnMen Square is only a 10-15 minute walk away. The RC breakfast is fine.

Internet access is expensive in the rooms -- free wi-fi in the club, but my power is draining too much to do a review for Muerz's site. I should do that when I get home!

I'd certainly stay here again, but continue to trust my guidebook over the concierge and maybe next time buy some room air freshener.

Mad4Miles Jul 11, 2004 2:10 pm

This property is very nice, and has lots grand club, rooms and suites. In June I over heard Sarah, the grand club manager, telling some guest that effective Sep 1, only guest staying on the grand club floors will have access to the grand club.

So the next question is will all diamonds automatically receive a grand club room? I do know that there were several guests in the lounge that were on lower floors.

I thought it is the hotel policy to upgrade diamonds 1 level, hence as a diamond I always pay my corporate rate for a grand club room, and receive an executive suite on the grand club floors.

Does anyone have any experience paying for a regular room at this property and getting grand club access?

AshleyF Jul 14, 2004 4:53 am

Diamond upgrades

I have been given access to the Grand club floor at the GH Beijing whilst paying a corporate rate. Also invariably when paying the internet rate at Hyatt Regency .

Now that Hyatt have said that they will only allow access to guests actually on the GC floor, I hope that I will continue to get the upgrades,
Otherwise Hyatt will lose me. Considering that I stay Diamond the 'hard' way eg make Diamond before the last Qtr promos , and never use heavily discounted rates eg Pricepoint I am more than a little peeved ay being barred from accessing the club.

Hyatt has to find a way to ensure their higher revenue guests continue to get access to the lounge , even tho the floor might be full.

domirule Jul 23, 2004 12:32 pm

Stayed at the GH Beijing a couple of years ago. Loved the pool but the rooms were quite small for a "Grand" Hyatt.

Ditto about the concierge; they are not particularly helpful. Also be careful of the Audi cabs that sit right outside of the hotel waiting for you. 6-7 of us split up into 2 cabs going to the same destination and the 2nd cab charged almost double what the 1st cab charged. No doubt the meters in the Audi cabs have been tempered with. Be careful...

broadwayboy Jul 23, 2004 12:56 pm

RC Access

Originally Posted by domirule
Stayed at the GH Beijing a couple of years ago. Loved the pool but the rooms were quite small for a "Grand" Hyatt.

Ditto about the concierge; they are not particularly helpful. Also be careful of the Audi cabs that sit right outside of the hotel waiting for you. 6-7 of us split up into 2 cabs going to the same destination and the 2nd cab charged almost double what the 1st cab charged. No doubt the meters in the Audi cabs have been tempered with. Be careful...

I will be staying there from Aug 27 until 30 and got an upgrade to a suite using 6000 points. Does staying in a suite mean I will get access to RC as well?

Mad4Miles Jul 23, 2004 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I will be staying there from Aug 27 until 30 and got an upgrade to a suite using 6000 points. Does staying in a suite mean I will get access to RC as well?

Don't think so. You could allways burn some additional points.

gregorygrady Jul 24, 2004 3:36 am

I'm writing this from the Grand Club free Internet access laptop at the GH Beijing. This is my third 1 night stay in the last 2 weeks at this hotel (I'm using it as a central base to come back to as I jet around China). They don't seem to bend over backwards for Diamonds here as they seem to in the US. The first 2 stays they said they had no rooms on the Grand Club Floors (top 4 of the 18 floors). No upgrade to a Deluxe room (or Jr. Suite) or a Suite. They said they were sold out of those when I said that if Grand rooms weren't available do they upgrade to the next best available room? Even though 3 minutes earlier they said I could upgrade to a Deluxe room for an extra $50. 10 minutes later I checked on hyatt.com and of course all types of rooms were available. They did give me Grand Club access on all stays though. Finally, on this (my 3rd stay) I got a room on a Grand Club floor (as everybody else has said, the rooms are the exact same as on the other floors). No diamond amenity. On this my third stay I finally asked if I got a diamond ammenity and they said no, access to the Regency Club IS MY DIAMOND AMMENITY. I just checked on the Hyatt Goldpassport website and of course it says that a dimond ammenity will be given for every stay. The pool is great here as others have said. Think half as magnificent as HR Maui, but indoors. It was pretty cool IMHO. The gym is real nice. It's in a good central location in Beijing. Frankly though I'd probably stay at another hotel in Beijing after 9/1 (unless of course it was FFN season and a 1 night stay) because I could definitely see this hotel saying that no Grand Club rooms are available even if they were just so Diamonds couldn't access the Club. I think after 9/1 in Asia I will call the Hyatt hotel I have reservations at and give that hotel the option of confirming me in a Grand Club room 48 hours prior to arrival. If I can't get an RC/GC Club Level room confirmation then I will probably cancel before the cancellation deadline and stay at a Hilton/Conrad where I have a better chance at an upgrade for cheaper. BTW, the Grand Club here has not been at all full any of the days I've been here, and they even have a 2nd overflow room accross the hall that always seems to be empty.

RichardInSF Jul 24, 2004 1:05 pm

Generally speaking, the "diamond amenity" seems to be much less common in Asian Hyatts, as I believe people have noted on other threads.

I rarely saw the RC full either. It should be apparent to all by now that the Sept 1 downgrade of Diamond privileges to exclude automatic club admission is a concealed price increase. Who knows, maybe the business environment has improved sufficiently that it's appropriate -- hotel prices are hugely elastic.

Richelieu Dec 30, 2004 12:21 pm

Writing from Hyatt in Beijing right now... It may not be the heart of the tourism season here, but the hotel is still quite busy judging by the coming and goings in the lifts. However, GC is practically empty. As a result, it's quite possible to have dinner over the evening cocktail snacks without inconveniencing anyone.

Usually I can't stand people going for the buffet and emptying it, because of the lack of consideration for others this behaviour is showing. But in this case, when there are three tables used in the club, and waiters with litterally nothing to do as the buffet is not emptied quickly enough, I have no moral qualm to fill my plate with appetizers...

saimike Dec 31, 2004 8:36 am

i had 2 stays in this hotel in spring 03, and my experience is that one does not get upgraded at this hotel, diamond or not. none of my diamond colleagues got a RC flr room although they all had RC access. now if they changed that policy, it'd be interesting it means that diamonds get upgraded just so they get lounge access.

AshleyF Dec 31, 2004 8:54 pm

I stayed in the hotel first week of Dec. previous stays in 03 had seen me gain access to the GC, which back then was probably the best I had ever experienced.
This time around, I could pay $50 to upgrade to the GC floor and have access OR I could have the full buffet breakfast in the Cafe.
Apart from the irritatioj of not having coffee and pre dinner drinks, it wasn't too bad.

This attitude was probably due to the fact that they upgraded my wife and me to a junior suite, which more than made up for the lack of access.

Can't help but think that a few less Diamonds may be beneficial in the long run. Or at least basing it on the number of points earned/ revenue generated...

stimpy Apr 29, 2005 10:32 pm

I'm just a lowly Platinum member now, and I'm wondering if they upgrade Plats to Club level? Or should I try using my suite upgrade coupon here?

Michael899 May 4, 2005 1:04 am

My various stays at the GH Beijing (all at the same corporate rates) yielded wildly varying results--2 no-upgrades, 2 RC upgrades, and 1 suite upgrade. In each case, the hotel was not close to a sell-out situation.

I think the lack of consistency is one of the most frustrating aspects about this hotel--whether in terms of the front-desk response, concierge recommendations, the (in)ability to trust the bell desk for reliable, reasonable transport. I don't think I'm exaggerating in suggesting that when in China, prop up your "buyers beware" antenna.

One alternative hotel that I'll definitely visit again is the Peninsula Beijing. It's very centrally located--around the corner from the GH, charges similar rates as the GH, and has much larger and more luxurious rooms (32" plasma screen TV in the bedroom and 14" swivel LCD TVs embedded in the marble wall of the bathroom). Service quality, however, isn't any more consistent than the GH.

SanDiego1K May 4, 2005 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm just a lowly Platinum member now, and I'm wondering if they upgrade Plats to Club level? Or should I try using my suite upgrade coupon here?

Stimpy, I'd sure carry that suite upgrade coupon and use it if you don't get Club level. The hotel has a high proportion of suites, as people live short term in the hotel. It has 582 rooms, of which 102 are suites. I had a suite on a February stay; I am Diamond and was told that the Club level was fully booked. The suite was very comfortable, and had a tiny functioning kitchen.

You will not get the full breakfast in the restaurant; rather you will get a continental restaurant in the lobby.

domirule May 4, 2005 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Michael899
I think the lack of consistency is one of the most frustrating aspects about this hotel--whether in terms of the front-desk response, concierge recommendations, the (in)ability to trust the bell desk for reliable, reasonable transport. I don't think I'm exaggerating in suggesting that when in China, prop up your "buyers beware" antenna.

I think this is a training issue and Hyatt should certainly address it. I don't hear as much problems at the Grand Hyatt Shanghai...but most of us on Flyertalk seem to have encountered problems at the GH Beijing...