Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Beijing REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Beijing REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:50 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
Any recent stay experiences to share? I'll be here in a few weeks and am looking for any tips. I'm not expecting any type of room upgrade since I am only Platinum.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
While I will probably never stay at this hotel again due to the bad ammonia smell, I can say that in the past I have always been upgraded both as Diamond and Platinum.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:04 am

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by hawaiiansports
Any recent stay experiences to share? I'll be here in a few weeks and am looking for any tips. I'm not expecting any type of room upgrade since I am only Platinum.
Yes, pay for a Grand Club room and enjoy yourself. Don't miss Club Oasis and the Red Moon Lounge.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:38 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by stimpy
While I will probably never stay at this hotel again due to the bad ammonia smell, I can say that in the past I have always been upgraded both as Diamond and Platinum.
Funny that I have never noticed this smell in the many times I have stayed there. Let's ask Mad4Miles who is over there now for an update.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rbAA
Funny that I have never noticed this smell in the many times I have stayed there. Let's ask Mad4Miles who is over there now for an update.
I have, it could be the room cleaner they used -- maybe it's changed now.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I have, it could be the room cleaner they used -- maybe it's changed now.
I think we discussed this earlier in the thread or perhaps another GH Beijing thread, but a staff person once told me that the ammonia is seeping up from the foundation. I really don't think it is the cleaner. I've never had my nose assaulted like that at any hotel or office building in the world. At first is just mildly annoying, but when I am closed in the room for the night, I cannot stand it.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:42 pm

Well I hope the ammonia smell won't be too bad when I'm there. I'll be eating at Made In China one time for dinner, besides Peking Duck any other dishes that I should consider?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't notice any ammonia smell when I was there a couple weeks ago. There was some sort of cleaning agent scent close to the elevators but nothing near or in my room (facing the back).

Overall the place is beginning to feel tired with somewhat outdated room design. It was especially noticable after staying at IC and taking a tour of Westin. Both properties were also cheaper than Hyatt.

IC club food selection was much better and the internet was free.
At Hyatt I had to wait for 40 min to borrow a laptop from RC since 2 out of 4 were broken and the other two were in use by other guests (the laptop sticker suggesting 20 min limit didn't seem to have any effect and RC staff refused to enforce it).

On a positive side I got upgraded to a suite without any arguments, the pool area is great and the location is central for tourists. The food court downstairs was pretty good too.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:49 am

I was at the GH Beijing about 1.5 weeks ago and I didn't notice any ammonia smell. My family and I really liked this hotel. No upgrade to RC (wasn't expecting one) but I did get connecting south facing rooms near the elevators. Club Oasis was great...the pool opening until 1100PM was nice. It seemed very private as there was hardly anyone there. All GP members can get either free tea/coffee at Made In China or Lobby Lounge in the morning (45RMB value). Peking Duck at Made In China was excellent!
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The "Beggar's Chicken" at Made In China is also a tasty and fun dish, it's the one where it's baked in ceramic that you get to smash at the table.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hawaiiansports
I was just there last week. I was a Platinum at the time. I was given a standard room, and UG'd to free Grand Club access "for just this one, special time". Of course, as a Diamond, this would have been automatic. It's a very nice hotel and a nice GC. Not as nice as HKG, IMO (but also half the price). The cocktails at night are well done. The breakfast in the AM is also extensive. The rooms are well done...modern...no smell, IMO.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
I just completed a 6 night stay at the Grand Hyatt Beijing. Paid for one night and used GP points for the other 5 nights (booked a standard room @15,000 points per night). Was given a room on the 14th floor with a king bed. Since I'm a Diamond member I was given access to the Grand Club floor. Room was fine. The breakfast and evening snacks were good. Staff on the Club floor were helpful. The internet access runs 3 yuan per minute with a maximum charge of 120 yuan (about $16) for a 24 hour period. So my internet bill ran nearly $100 for a 6 night stay. Overall I was pleased with the stay and the location was great. Right over the Orient Plaza Shopping Mall and alot of other stores outside the mall. The 2008 Beijing Olympic Flagship Store is located in outside mall, right next to the McDonald's. 2008 Beijing Olympic T-shirts are running 96 yuan and hats run around 60 to 90 yuan.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 5:18 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by rbAA
I noticed the smell quite heavily in my room during my stay there last month, but there was no smell in my colleague's room. A simple room change took care of the problem for me!

I found the property to be nice, the staff very accommodating, the overall value was great, and the location was perfect. Although as other posters have indicated that it may not be as nice as other Asian properties, my stay was great.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:21 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
I'll stay at the GH Beijing in 2 weeks and was offered via e-mail an upgrade from a Grand Room to a Grand Deluxe Room (I'm Diamond) with full american breakfast. On their website, it looks like the Deluxe Rooms are quite a bit larger than the Club Room. Is this true ? If the room is indeed nicer, I'd prefer to take it and forego the evening drinks, as posters here seem to think the breakfast in the lounge is not all that.

Would be glad for advice.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:34 am

Yes, the Grand Deluxe Rooms are quite a bit larger than the normal rooms. As far as the breakfast in the lounge, I was certainly pretty happy with it when I had it, I'd say it's probably ALMOST as good as a restaurant breakfast. So basically it boils down to what you value more:
1. Bigger Room
or
2. Evening service (with free booze). The evening service is also quite good at the GH Beijing. I'd say it's a toss-up. It you are there with family, go for the bigger room, if you are there by yourself, Lounge access might be nicer............................................^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.