Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
At least until recently, the lounge was non-smoking at breakfast, at least.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 2:06 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks goodness... for breaksfast the lounge is smoke-free!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:15 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Any updated trip reports all ?
Renovations?How is the property doing?
^ or ?
Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Hyatt Cologne remains one of my favorite property because of its staff and their kindness. The only change I have seen is the closure of the Graugans, the Gourmet Restaurant. Food in the club is now very poor and reflects the lack of professionalism from the Glasshaus restaurant with its current chef and sous chef de cuisine. Sad, because service remains excellent throughout the hotel.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
Hyatt Cologne remains one of my favorite property because of its staff and their kindness. The only change I have seen is the closure of the Graugans, the Gourmet Restaurant. Food in the club is now very poor and reflects the lack of professionalism from the Glasshaus restaurant with its current chef and sous chef de cuisine. Sad, because service remains excellent throughout the hotel.
Thank you for your comments
I know that you know your food and beverage
Not sounding very promising I cant dine and stay on kindness alone
The Regency Club/Food and beverage is 30% off my reason for choosing Hyatt.The other is a nice room.The pictures on the website show a mostly dated room.

I will take a closer look at the Le Meridien and the InterContinental unless I happen to hear some more flattering comments.
Huge fan of the Grand Hyatt Berlin however I think this one may not even come close to comparing
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Thank you for your comments
I know that you know your food and beverage
Not sounding very promising I cant dine and stay on kindness alone
The Regency Club/Food and beverage is 30% off my reason for choosing Hyatt.The other is a nice room.The pictures on the website show a mostly dated room.

I will take a closer look at the Le Meridien and the InterContinental unless I happen to hear some more flattering comments.
Huge fan of the Grand Hyatt Berlin however I think this one may not even come close to comparing
Hi,
Defenitely no comparison to the GH Berlin!
and yes, most of the rooms are old, but most of the suites are renovated. We recently had the "beethoven" suite! Absolutely great ! Rhine view with the dome, huge living area.... about 120 sqm , i would guess.
stayed there back in March and at that time food was great at the club, maybe that changed.
if you go, shoot for a suite!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:50 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know someone who stayed there about a week ago. They reported that the club breakfast was fine but the evening food was pretty wimpy. The room (club level) was fine for them.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: Lufthansa, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Avis
I'm just staying in the Hyatt Cologne and the rooms are "timeless". Nice flattscreen. And true the RC Food is wimpy.

But in my opinion one of the best hotels to stay in cologne.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:30 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I stay here 3-4 times a year. The RC is terrific- I think the staff tries harder than any other RC I have stayed in with the exception of Waikiki.
The evening food is wimpy, but acceptable.
THe view from the RC is awesome. I strongly recommend this hotel if the stay includes the RC.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by LFCorsten
I'm just staying in the Hyatt Cologne and the rooms are "timeless". Nice flattscreen. And true the RC Food is wimpy.

But in my opinion one of the best hotels to stay in cologne.

Speaking of the flat screen - Do all the Cologne rooms have the new and cheap Samsung - no HD, no connection to PC...I don't understand that 4 /5star hotel propose such cheap screen which can be bought at Media Markt for close to nothing. When is Hyatt going to hire competent Technical Directors
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
Speaking of the flat screen - Do all the Cologne rooms have the new and cheap Samsung - no HD, no connection to PC...I don't understand that 4 /5star hotel propose such cheap screen which can be bought at Media Markt for close to nothing. When is Hyatt going to hire competent Technical Directors
Since Hyatt Place seems to be the leading chain in this regard, the competence is somewhere in-house..., just let them board a flight across the pond.

Seriously, though, both Cologne and Mainz are very good hotels, however both should be scheduled for massive renovation in the next 3-5 years...all design elements at those properties ( including the lobby in Cologne ) are simply not state of the art anymore and that is what Hyatt tries to achieve in Europe with their properties.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Originally Posted by FD1971
Since Hyatt Place seems to be the leading chain in this regard, the competence is somewhere in-house..., just let them board a flight across the pond.

Seriously, though, both Cologne and Mainz are very good hotels, however both should be scheduled for massive renovation in the next 3-5 years...all design elements at those properties ( including the lobby in Cologne ) are simply not state of the art anymore and that is what Hyatt tries to achieve in Europe with their properties.

Well,
Cologne for renovation ? a clear Yes! better Today! if they wait for another 5 years they have good "retro-style" hotel :-)
Mainz? for me : No! i like the style with the Fort malakoff...
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
Mainz? for me : No! i like the style with the Fort malakoff...

The lobby including the Malakoff Annex and Fitness Club is fine, but the rooms are starting to get old, especially the beds, linens and the TV / bar holding thing, not to mention the TV itself, which was a very high quality TV.... 10 years ago.

Again, decades above the average US Hyatt, but in need for some refurbishments.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:56 am

I have a number of upcoming nights booked at this property
The discussion here is making me want to move my booking over to the Le Meridien SPG property where it is less expensive and highly rated
In the event a Hyatt is subpar I am happy to give up my Regency Club benefits and buy my breakfast elsewhere at another competing hotel

The reports of a poor Regency Club and lackluster room and amenities that don't measure up are making me re-think my upcoming stay.Is this going to be as bad as the notorious Auckland property in the past?Never gave the property a chance after reports of bad Diamond treatment.I ended up at the Westin Auckland and couldn't have been any happier it was fantastic
On the other hand as I previoulsy stated Grand Hyatt Berlin remains one of my favorite Hyatts in the world.Should I cancel Cologne Hyatt?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:06 pm

I would not cancel because
-the view on the Rhine and Cathedral from the RC is enjoyable
-RC is very helpful but the food is not what it used to be in terms of quality
-RC breakfast is still nice
-Graugans the Gourmet Restaurant is closed and you will have to use Glasshaus. I think that there is a new chef so it is worth trying although it is missing atmosphere.
-Swimming pool area is still OK
-location near the Messe and both railway stations (Main Station and Deutz)is good

BUT indeed the hotel needs some $$$ for renovation.
Sorry, but I really do not understand why they selected Samsung for their 'room of the future'. I just hope we are not going to see those screens all over Europe as in Cologne, the image is lacking sharpness, especially the hotel channel, there is no HD, there is no computer connection, no headset connection...and the channel selection is very poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.