FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Stanhope Park Hyatt New York? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/313992-stanhope-park-hyatt-new-york.html)

brendamc Apr 16, 2004 6:09 pm

Stanhope Park Hyatt New York?

Any thoughts on this? Worth 15,000/night? Rooms to req, etc?

jkc22 Apr 16, 2004 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by brendamc
Any thoughts on this? Worth 15,000/night? Rooms to req, etc?

Better to buy a Premier Stay Certificate and use it there ($169). It's a good hotel, but not 15K points good, IMO. :D Even the Carmel can be had for a mere $239 with the certificates.

Personally, I would only use 15K for Park SYD, CDG, MXP, and TYO, or 3 nights at some Cat 1 resorts. :)

beachfan Apr 16, 2004 9:25 pm

[QUOTE=jkc22]Better to buy a Premier Stay Certificate and use it there ($169). It's a good hotel, but not 15K points good, IMO. :D Even the Carmel can be had for a mere $239 with the certificates.
QUOTE]
Can you tell me a little more about these? Or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

VPescado Apr 17, 2004 12:22 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Can you tell me a little more about these? Or point me in the right direction?

Take a look over here

brendamc Apr 17, 2004 12:56 am

[QUOTE=jkc22]Better to buy a Premier Stay Certificate and use it there ($169). It's a good hotel, but not 15K points good, IMO. :D Even the Carmel can be had for a mere $239 with the certificates.

Thanks - please take out the 'is it worth it' in my question - we have so many HYA points that 2 rooms for 5 nights isn't going to make a dent... don't know why I threw that ? in. Plus, hate to pay cash for anything when there's points in the bank! Guess I should have just asked about the hotel - is it nice? Are the rooms & service PH quality? (I only know Paris, TYO, SYD & LA & like them all). Haven't been to NY for years, but I do know 'deluxe' hotels can vary widely here.

divaof travel Apr 17, 2004 5:56 am

I like the hotel, and have been treated well there. Presumably, with the points you have, you are Diamond. In that case, you could get a suite, and you will get a nice breakfast.

Regarding point value, hey, this is NYC. The hotels that jkc22 mentions are very nice, but not very useful in New York. Stanhope is also a much better property than the Grand Hyatt.

tinnub Apr 17, 2004 9:07 am

Stayed at the Stanhope twice in March. Didn't get upgraded room eventhough I am Diamond. the bell staff (especially Wendell) is wonderful as is the restaurant staff. The desk staff is a little cold. Very nice hotel, much nicer than the Grand, but the location is not in the "center of things". Need to use bus or taxi to get anywhere expect for Metropolitain Museum of Art; right across the street. Good restaurants and some shopping on Madison Ave, about a block away. Close to Central Park. Breakfast is very good but pricey, (Diamonds get cert. worth $16 towards the munu items). After my first stay in March, the front desk Mgr. promised me a suite 10 days later when I returned because of problems with other guests. Ten days later, apparently he was off duty, and nobody knew what I was talking about. Not really upset, but a little disappointed. Sorry if this turned into a mini report, but I hope it helps. Probably a good deal for $169 on cert. Just remember to have incidental charge to get stay credit. The tip for breakfast works.

brendamc Apr 17, 2004 10:16 am

Thanks all - are Diamond, so hopefully a suite... would much prefer a 1 or 2 bedroom suite rather than 2 rooms (2nd is for daughter), but won't know til check-in, I guess. If we don't get the suite, any rooms/views (I would imagine park) better to req than others? How is the restaurant?

Originally Posted by tinnub
Stayed at the Stanhope twice in March... Just remember to have incidental charge to get stay credit. The tip for breakfast works.

That won't be a problem with a 13 year old...!

JIMCHI May 19, 2004 4:29 pm

Will be staying at this hotel this summer for a pleasure trip. Our AAA rate includes full breakfast. How fancy is the dining room at breakfast? As we will be just walking around New York, we'll probably be in dressy shorts. Are shorts OK in the dining room at breakfast or should we plan on getting "dressed up" and then changing before we go out?

jkc22 May 19, 2004 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Will be staying at this hotel this summer for a pleasure trip. Our AAA rate includes full breakfast. How fancy is the dining room at breakfast? As we will be just walking around New York, we'll probably be in dressy shorts. Are shorts OK in the dining room at breakfast or should we plan on getting "dressed up" and then changing before we go out?

The Melrose Resturant is an upscale establishment, so appropriate attire is required in the dining room. That said, I believe the dress code is "relaxed" for breakfast, especially for hotel guests.

The Stanhope is my choice for Hyatt in NYC, and every time I've used the Melrose for my complimentary Diamond breakfast (FULL breakfast), I've been in "gym" attire - athletic shoes, CU T-shirt, and track pants. I was never declined service; but, I felt underdressed, as there were many patrons in jackets/suits. I guess in this instance, dressing up won't hurt.

JIMCHI May 19, 2004 5:31 pm

Thanks. Maybe there won't be so many "suits" on a weekend when we are there.

rgoel May 19, 2004 7:48 pm

Posted a review on HotelScoop a little while ago for this hotel, including pictures: http://www.hotelscoop.com/hotelDetai...p?Hotelid=2913

There are also pictures of the Grand Hyatt New York: http://www.hotelscoop.com/hotelDetail1a.php?Hotelid=85

Either way, you can't go wrong. Obviously different levels of luxury and different locations, but both are good hotels.

JIMCHI May 19, 2004 9:27 pm

The photos of the Stanhope show old, noisy type air conditioners hanging out of windows. Are those still there in all the rooms or did they install central air?

Steph58 May 21, 2004 9:57 am

Just Returned from First Time Stay

Stayed 2 nights using the last of my FFN's. The a/c was not noisy--there was a nice, modern digital thermostat on the wall. We received a suite and the a/c worked fine. Brendamc, you should know the suites consist of a living room and bedroom (2 rooms) but there's no door in between--just a wide opening. Also, I don't believe the suites have 2 beds; just a king in the bedroom and sofabed in the living room. When I booked I requested a room with 2 beds. It took the front desk at least 15 minutes of going back and forth and clicking on their computer to find a room. He first said he was trying to find a suite. Then he disappeared into the back room and when he returned, said sorry no suites. He asked if a king was okay and I said no, I booked a room with 2 beds. More clicking, disappearing, then manager (?) came out and clicked away. Finally announced that yes, there was a suite afterall. I guess they consider a sofa that makes into a bed a second bed. At that point, we were very happy with the suite.

Only ate breakfast in the restaurant and should mention that although expensive (Diamond certs are great), they serve what we thought were huge portions. Very good food and we were sorry that we could only eat about half of it.

Very nice stay--everyone was very friendly and helpful even though the hotel appeared quite busy. The room was very quiet (15th floor facing 82nd I think). Housekeeping does a great job as well. For us the only negative was the long walk to the subway, but we should have made a better effort to learn/use the buses as they stop right across the street.

brendamc May 21, 2004 11:03 am

Thanks, Steph58 - good info as we definitely want/need separate rooms. I've got 2 rooms reserve, so will stick with that! Maybe one will be a suite... Are there all-suite floors, or would it be possible to get a suite with another room next door or close?