Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Will a credit card dispute / chargeback lead to a Hyatt account closure?

Will a credit card dispute / chargeback lead to a Hyatt account closure?

Old Jun 7, 2024, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
.. it’s the principle of the matter that bothers me.

imho a more pragmatic and impactful response would be to avoid disputes, note this to concierge, fill out stay feedback form and post property name here... if have spare time write a couple reviews too..
notquiteaff, soy and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 3:21 pm

I totally respect the OP position. I agree completely about principle on matters like this... I got long hauled by a cab in Tokyo of all places, and after I got home, I promptly disputed the charge in the amount of the excess fare compared to the proper route. Small things add up and principle is important. That being said, there is, as others have said, a balance between maintaining a relationship with a company or entity as a whole that you may choose to not put at risk over a comparatively minor issue plus the ever present question of how much is your own time worth? I get it though, I once spent hours and several appeals fighting a BS parking ticket in a city just to force them to spend resources on a hearing and appointments etc over the measly and BS illegitimate $25 fine. Ultimately the only one who can really decide on the right course is the OP.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 4:06 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by azepine00
imho a more pragmatic and impactful response would be to avoid disputes, note this to concierge, fill out stay feedback form and post property name here... if have spare time write a couple reviews too..
Agreed, naming and shaming is going to cost them more than correcting a currency conversion scam charge. The whole currency conversion scam has become pretty ubiquitous in Mexico. I **hate** when you go to a restaurant and they try to give you a menu with USD prices. Then when you get the bill it's in pesos and of course unless you're particular they will convert it for you back to USD...
Old Jun 7, 2024, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
I do not believe in giving $0.01 more than they are entitled to, to any organization. Dispute the charge. Depending on your bank, it may just credit you without reaching back out to Hyatt due to the small amount in dispute. Even if it does reach out, you will still receive the credit.
I see no valid reason why Hyatt would close your account. You are not committing fraud
Good luck.
But as you say, the organization will not be punished. You will punish the bank, and if you do it too often, maybe they will decide you are not worth doing business with. I don’t think it will hurt the offender - the hotel.

I would make it expensive for the property by pursuing it via Hyatt, and then - if not explained/resolved to your satisfaction - review the property on various sites.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
My concierge said she would get back to me once the folio posts to Hyatt so she can “review with Accounting”.

The property is Hyatt Centric Dubai.

My main concern is that I have a stay next week at Andaz Dubai which I feel as if I have either sabotaged my chance for good treatment or will run into this CC issue again as I think they are managed by the same team.

Considering cancelling and going to Marriott…

Old Jun 8, 2024, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
DCC can be tricky. Sometimes staff don't know there's a choice or think the foreign currency is better for the guest... And in China some POS machines don't even allow for a choice, I think.

I would just complain. I wouldn't do a credit card charge back.

Keyed in is the bigger issue to me.
Old Jun 8, 2024, 2:17 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Will miss your Hyatt reviews - not sure the replacement Holiday Inn Reviews will have the same pizzazz, 😀
Old Jun 8, 2024, 2:39 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I've had occasions where I was more than willing to waste time just to dispute something that was negligible in cost (so less than a couple percent) of a total charge, over a matter of principle, but the card issuers simply doesn't want to fight the merchant over something like $100 or less, and would rather pay me themselves to end the dispute. Unfortunately this is just one of those things where there isn't a way to "make things right" and I've just come to accept that I'll eat those charges and avoid the business in question (and leaving them a poor review, even deterring a few customers would make things more than even).
Old Jun 8, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
But as you say, the organization will not be punished. You will punish the bank, and if you do it too often, maybe they will decide you are not worth doing business with. I don’t think it will hurt the offender - the hotel.

I would make it expensive for the property by pursuing it via Hyatt, and then - if not explained/resolved to your satisfaction - review the property on various sites.
Incorrect. And you are misunderstanding. It is up to the bank to determine if they want to pass on the dispute to the merchant. Some do and some don't based on the amount.
Disputing a charge is a guaranteed right provided to all US card holders enshrined in EFT laws. To allow multi-billion organizations to make a cent more than they are entitled to off of you is bizarre to me.
Old Jun 8, 2024, 5:22 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
My concierge said she would get back to me once the folio posts to Hyatt so she can “review with Accounting”.

The property is Hyatt Centric Dubai.

My main concern is that I have a stay next week at Andaz Dubai which I feel as if I have either sabotaged my chance for good treatment or will run into this CC issue again as I think they are managed by the same team.

Considering cancelling and going to Marriott…
You are blowing this out of all proportion. With DCC charges, the merchant is required to ask the cardholder if they would like to be charged in local currency. It is not supposed to be an automatic process. An explicit confirmation is required.

You have attempted to have the situation rectified with the hotel and have made little head way. Let your issuing bank deal with the situation and stop stressing over it.

Go stay at the Hyatt property you were intending to stay at and stop worrying about things that will not happen. If something bad happens deal with that situation as well. when it does.
econ likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2024, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
To be clear, I have no intention of cancelling all of my upcoming Hyatt reservations - my concern with Andaz Dubai is that they are sister properties with the same ownership. If the team at the Centric has passed along notes, I'm not expecting a good stay unless they change their tone and start being more apologetic vs. trying to convince me that I'm wrong, which I'm not.

After my concierge told me that the hotel could freeze my Hyatt account if they wanted to, I have no intention of disputing with my bank. I'll persist with Hyatt Corporate until they provide compensation.
Old Jun 8, 2024, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
The CC receipt they gave me does not list any alternative currencies besides local, but I know that my bank did not get this wrong.
If you have the supporting documentation, I wouldn’t hesitate to do a chargeback. Pretty sure I’ve done it before in this situation with an overseas Hyatt. And I’ve definitely done it at Marriott using a Marriott card, although that was for bogus charges more substantial than potential DCC.
Old Jun 8, 2024, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
Incorrect. And you are misunderstanding. It is up to the bank to determine if they want to pass on the dispute to the merchant. Some do and some don't based on the amount.
Disputing a charge is a guaranteed right provided to all US card holders enshrined in EFT laws. To allow multi-billion organizations to make a cent more than they are entitled to off of you is bizarre to me.

Maybe you can explain what I am misunderstanding. You said “Depending on your bank, it may just credit you without reaching back out to Hyatt due to the small amount in dispute.”

For $9 I and some others here would bet Chase isn’t going to spend a ton of effort researching the issue. So let’s assume they just credit it. Who pays for that? Not Hyatt or the Hyatt property in question. And by the way, most Hyatt properties are not multi-billion organizations; you seem to confuse Hyatt Corporate and Hyatt properties - separate entities. Hyatt Corporation isn’t getting anything from any shenanigans of individual properties.

Old Jun 8, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Maybe you can explain what I am misunderstanding. You said “Depending on your bank, it may just credit you without reaching back out to Hyatt due to the small amount in dispute.”

For $9 I and some others here would bet Chase isn’t going to spend a ton of effort researching the issue. So let’s assume they just credit it. Who pays for that?
Short answer is "it depends." It would be incorrect to assume that since the issuer just issues an immediate permanent credit to the cardholder that the issuer will simply take the loss. There are a lot of parties in any given credit card transaction.
Old Jun 8, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I would dispute it with Chase, collect Chase's $9 shut up and go away money, and then move on. For that amount, they won't bring it to the merchant's attention sadly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.