Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

I requested a welcome amenity (AITA?)

Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

So, I arrived at Grand Hyatt Vail today after a long drive.

I am staying in a suite that retails for $1k+ during the ski season. Yes, Iím a Globalist.

My wife and I were both talking about how we were hungry. I actually didnít notice that we didnít receive an amenity until I was down by the gym and saw an employee in the hallways carrying a seran-wrapped cheese board and bottle of wine. ďOh yeah!Ē

To clarify - we didnít receive any recognition. No apple, no grapes, no card. Zilch.

So at the point we had been checked into our room for several hours. I debated in my head for a while as itís obviously super awkward to ask for a welcome gift.

I decided to go for it.

I walked up to the front desk. ďHi! We just checked in a few hours ago. I was wondering - would it be possible to send a cheese plate or some fruit to the room? We are hungry after a long drive.Ē

*blank stare back*

ĒNo. That would be a request for in-room dining.Ē

ďoh, ok. Iíll try with them. Thanks!Ē

On the one hand, I totally get how weird it is to ask for a welcome amenity. On the other hand, well, we were super hungry and that cheese plate looked good.

Anyhow, Iím on the fence with this one and figured Iíd let you all pillory me. AITA?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dval44

I am staying in a suite that retails for $1k+ during the ski season. Yes, Iím a Globalist.

My wife and I were both talking about how we were hungry. I actually didnít notice that we didnít receive an amenity until I was down by the gym and saw an employee in the hallways carrying a seran-wrapped cheese board and bottle of wine. ďOh yeah!Ē

To clarify - we didnít receive any recognition. No apple, no grapes, no card. Zilch.

So at the point we had been checked into our room for several hours. I debated in my head for a while as itís obviously super awkward to ask for a welcome gift.

I decided to go for it.

I walked up to the front desk. ďHi! We just checked in a few hours ago. I was wondering - would it be possible to send a cheese plate or some fruit to the room? We are hungry after a long drive.Ē

*blank stare back*

On the one hand, I totally get how weird it is to ask for a welcome amenity. On the other hand, well, we were super hungry and that cheese plate looked good.

Anyhow, Iím on the fence with this one and figured Iíd let you all pillory me. AITA?
Yes.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dval44

I decided to go for it.

*blank stare back*

There's nothing wrong with asking..

However, I think too many Globalists expect everything to be free...

The suite maybe $1k or more a night but hotels know how much you are paying for....
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
It's not a stated benefit as a Globalist so I'm a bit confused as to why anyone would make such a request and think it's reasonable. Surprise amenities are just that, surprises offered by a hotel or resort.
nexusCFX, Adam1222, Markie and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:30 pm

Ahole? Eh, at least you didn't cause a scene asking. Awkward and leaning entitled? Yeah.
nexusCFX and Maui4me1 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

I am a globalist. I made my booking at Grand Hyatt Vail in October 23 via AMEX FHR. I got an amenity from that program, not from my globalist status.

I think it was fine to ask - but perhaps you could have reframed the question. "Do you give an amenity to globalists? I saw a lovely treat being delivered to a room and that made me wonder."
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
In addition to the points others have made, how do you know that the cheese board and bottle of wine weren't ordered and paid for through room service?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dkc192
In addition to the points others have made, how do you know that the cheese board and bottle of wine weren't ordered and paid for through room service?
Also, a common CONUS form of service recovery.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
I don't think OP was suggesting they were entitled to the cheese board and bottle of wine that was taken to another room, just that it reminded them of welcome amenities in general since that's a common one. That said, I agree with the sentiment here in the replies...it's a nice surprise when it happens but it's not a globalist benefit.
cmjaffe likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:11 am

This isn't Reddit. There is no karma here. And yes, you are. I am borderline embarrassed even reading it. Hey, I am hungry, send me something free. What has happened to the world?
Maui4me1, BearX220, mhdena and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:17 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
If youíre hungry, order yourself something to eat and pay for it. Itís giving roadside beggar.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:21 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Under the old Gold Passport program, the food and beverage amenity used to be a benefit for Diamond (now Globalist) members.

Then again, you have people like my sister who would ask for "an amenity" at check-in, despite of having no status.

But asking for a welcome amenity several hours after check-in? That's rich.
cmjaffe and Markie like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Under the old Gold Passport program, the food and beverage amenity used to be a benefit for Diamond (now Globalist) members.

Then again, you have people like my sister who would ask for "an amenity" at check-in, despite of having no status.

But asking for a welcome amenity several hours after check-in? That's rich.
If you forget to ask or they forget to deliver, I donít think thereís anything wrong with asking it a few hours after check in.

However I think the issue is that they didnít ask for a welcome amenity explicitly. By dancing around it (perhaps because of embarrassment or shame), it confused the front desk who are probably staffed by seasonal workers.

Instead of asking, Iím hungry do you have a cheese plate which led to a natural response of you can order room service. They couldíve said, I checked in and didnít see an amenity in room. What do you offer for Globalists. Maybe theyíll have a better result.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:48 am

Or maybe just be grateful if something appears in the room at all, which is a total bonus that is in no way required by any program, rate or hotel terms, instead of soliciting a handout like a beggar. There is no "right" way to just ask for free stuff for no reason other than, I like free stuff.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
Or maybe just be grateful if something appears in the room at all, which is a total bonus that is in no way required by any program, rate or hotel terms, instead of soliciting a handout like a beggar. There is no "right" way to just ask for free stuff for no reason other than, I like free stuff.
this is US-centric view our lodging industry conditioned us to (and hyatt is one of the better ones here).. otoh anyone coming from overseas used to glob treatment there would probably expect an amenity and recognition at check in...

but even here many hotels offer smth to globs but it often depends on experience and knowledge of fd person so i dont see asking for glob perks as begging.. at the very same gh vail i have lengthy discussions about breakfast benefits for those staying at residences and had a full range of answers from different fd agents
SanDiego1K likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.