Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

I requested a welcome amenity (AITA?)

I requested a welcome amenity (AITA?)

Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is not far off from asking for a suite for your giraffe.

Personally I find the published on property Globalist benefits to be pretty generous. If a property gifts a welcome amenity, that's just an unexpected (and unnecessary) bonus.
cmjaffe, antonius66 and 59Impala like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA EP; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
this is US-centric view our lodging industry conditioned us to (and hyatt is one of the better ones here).. otoh anyone coming from overseas used to glob treatment there would probably expect an amenity and recognition at check in...

but even here many hotels offer smth to globs but it often depends on experience and knowledge of fd person so i dont see asking for glob perks as begging.. at the very same gh vail i have lengthy discussions about breakfast benefits for those staying at residences and had a full range of answers from different fd agents
I disagree since it's not a Globalist perk - late checkout at non-resorts, entitled upgrades to standard suites when available at check-in, waived resort / destination fees, free parking on award stays, and free breakfast (for a side, coffee, and entree) are globalist perks. A welcome amenity is not listed anywhere as a perk - so imo asking for a welcome amenity when not provided is begging - this would be akin to a restaurant providing a free dessert to a guest for an anniversary at the table next to you and you requesting the same dessert for free.

Now I agree many hotels provide a welcome amenity and when staying at an upscale+ hotel or paying a high rate it's frequently provided, but that doesn't make it anything you are entitled to or an expectation. Anything provided would be going above and beyond. Now this would be different than complaining about not being upgraded when there is clearly a standard suite available which is a benefit you'd be entitled to.
cmjaffe and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is not far off from asking for a suite for your giraffe.

Personally I find the published on property Globalist benefits to be pretty generous. If a property gifts a welcome amenity, that's just an unexpected (and unnecessary) bonus.
I’m on board with the people saying it’s entitled, etc. to ask.

But I gotta take issue with the pearl-clutching comments that say it’s “like asking for a suite for a giraffe” (is this a colloquialism somehow in the world?) and another poster feigning “confusion.”

Like, guys. I was given a welcome amenity at 10 of the last 10 Hyatt stays. I ask for one at the 11th. Is that really “confusing” and like asking to house an African ruminant in the building?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dval44

But I gotta take issue with the pearl-clutching comments that say it’s “like asking for a suite for a giraffe” (is this a colloquialism somehow in the world?) and another poster feigning “confusion.”

Like, guys. I was given a welcome amenity at 10 of the last 10 Hyatt stays. I ask for one at the 11th. Is that really “confusing” and like asking to house an African ruminant in the building?
The giraffe thing comes from this. An oft-used joke on FT.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:54 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by dval44

"AITA?" "Yes, resoundingly." "Guys, I was given a welcome amenity at 10 of the last 10! I'm NTA!"
Old Feb 24, 2024, 4:05 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I have 100% asked for welcome amenities when I don’t receive them at properties that should definitely deliver them based on experience and (soft) brand expectations. On those occasions, I haven’t received pushback. Sometimes, deliveries are missed for whatever reason.

However, I don’t expect welcome amenities at US hotels - plain and simple. In fact, I don’t expect much at US hotels.

OP should have been more direct and asked if the hotel provided an in-room amenity for Globalist guests.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the side effects of getting elite status benefits seems to be becoming an extremely cheap person.

"I haven't eaten in 36 hours an am starving so the hotel should give me some free food as a bronze member of it's elite program because the next opportunity for me to eat free food isn't for another 18 hours where I plan to dine on stale prepackaged croissants at the priority pass airport lounge."

I can sympathize as someone who has fallen into this trap as well, but now have realized that saving a few pennies is actually not worth my happiness when traveling.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I don’t expect welcome amenities at US hotels - plain and simple.
Absolutely, not even at US properties where I'm a regular guest and otherwise very well treated. And I'm fine with that. It's not a program benefit. I care much more about upgrades, breakfast, and late checkout, which virtually all the US Hyatts I stay at are very good about.

Even at non-US properties, I don't really expect a welcome amenity. Though I have gotten used to it at certain properties, such as the Mauna Kea (banana bread and coconut flavored short-bread!) and SGS (where they have a defined policy based on status, room type, and whether you're a frequent guest).

Originally Posted by Doppy
One of the side effects of getting elite status benefits seems to be becoming an extremely cheap person.
I'm not sure if it's elite status or a self-selecting FT personality type, but agree at the extreme it is not a positive trait at all.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 10:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Finkface
The giraffe thing comes from this. An oft-used joke on FT.
There was some FT DO where a participant gave a big inflatable giraffe to Jeff Zidell (then head of SPG).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.