Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
World of Hyatt and Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be ending their strategic relationship effective May 15, 2024.

This thread is staying behind in the Hyatt forum to address the wind-down, handling of existing reservations, etc.

For the active Hilton forum thread, see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ns-hilton.html

Hyatt announcement:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ls-update.html

What does this change mean for World of Hyatt members?

Reservations:
  • Existing Reservations
    • For stays with a check-in date on or before May 15, 2024: Eligible paid and award stays at Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be honored and benefits will be earned.
    • For stays with check-in dates after May 15, 2024: The stay will be honored, but World of Hyatt benefits like breakfast, earning points and nights toward tier status will no longer be available at Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
  • New Reservations
    • Yes, new reservations can be made until May 15, 2024 for stays with a checkout date before May 15, 2024.
  • Reservation Cancellations
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: Contact Small Luxury Hotels of the World directly for cancellations to paid and award reservations at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected].
  • Reservation Modifications
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: To modify a reservation, both paid and award stays will need to be cancelled directly with Small Luxury Hotels of the World at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected] and rebooked. New rates may apply.
Additional World of Hyatt Program and Benefits:
  • World of Hyatt credit cardmembers will continue to earn 4 Bonus Points for every eligible dollar spent on their card at participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World locations until August 31, 2024.

Print Wikipost

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What are your favorite SLH hotels?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan
I wanted stay credit for my cash rates.
I'm in this camp, and in a year when I will likely need to stretch to requalify, every qualifying night counts.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, with little effort/analysis, I just counted 9 different Mr & Mrs Smith properties that are in Milan.

Anyone that believed this partnership with SLH was going to survive in the face of the Mr & Mrs Smith acquisition really wasn't paying attention.
Truth be told, was not really paying attention because neither SLH nor Mr and Mrs Smith appear a good fit for me

Despite my superficial views, I do think Mr and Mrs Smith has sort of a different market than SLH. SLH pretty much delivered what its name promised. Mr and Mrs Smith has all kinds of stuff in its portfolio, from large luxurious Rosewood hotels with several fine-dining restaurants down to some upscale boutique apartment whatevers catering to rich Gen Zs.

Hyatt is continuing to mix it up as with the curveball they threw with all these 3*/4* package tourist all inclusives.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
As I intimated above, I have an upcoming stay that was nearly double the price to book the same room via Hyatt channels. The EQNs and marginal increase in points is simply not worth hundred of extra dollars per night.
For me, the value in SLH was all about the points stays. I've found reasonable points rates for many SLH hotels, especially in smaller cities in Europe (Bergen, Manchester, Madeira) when cash rates (via both SLH or Hyatt) were quite high.

I would rather spend 12k/15k points on an SLH hotel in Europe than a random Hyatt Place in the US.

That plus the ability to get elite benefits (upgrades, free breakfast, etc) without any status on a points stay was also great. My most recent SLH points stay had me upgraded to massive suite. These free benefits on award stays were better than what SLH provided to members of its own elite program. I'm a Hyatt Explorist and have had more memorable upgrades via SLH.

We'll see if Mr & Mrs Smith works similarly, but as they're owned by Hyatt and not just a partnership I would expect those kinds of outsized benefits to go away.
Clay_C. and myeurocrush like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's the Hilton part that shocked me, not that SLH left Hyatt.
One could argue that SLH is actually at the lower end of independent luxury hotel collections. LHW, GHA, or Preferred are positioned higher and could have been a better fit for Hyatt.

And yet MMS are all over the place, from sub-$100 to Rosewood and Aman.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
ugh - that's a kick in the pants. hopefully a decent grace period on existing points reservations. Many of these properties do not have proximate or comparable alternatives in the hyatt network.
Charlie9 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:33 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist
There's no information, that this means the end for the Hyatt cooperation!?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Got the email from Hilton announcing "we have some big news!"

Hilton partners with Small Luxury Hotels of the World™

All Hilton guests will soon be able to enjoy even more luxury stays in some of the most desirable destinations around the world.

New ways to dream, even more ways to stay

In the months ahead, all Hilton guests will be able to dream and book like never before. And Hilton Honors members will not only be able to earn and use Points on stays with participating SLH luxury boutique hotels, they’ll enjoy exclusive, members-only benefits as well.

Wonder if Hyatt will make any announcement?

UPDATE: just checked on Hyatt.com for hypothetical bookings in November 2024, and SLH properties in Florence, IT, Rome, Paris, Belize, and Bali are STILL BOOKABLE! Wonder where the "exclusive" part comes in for Hilton?

Last edited by sapguy; Feb 7, 2024 at 3:22 pm
Old Feb 7, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I need to look and see what Mr and Mrs Smith has in Belize. There were two SLH properties where friends had good stays. UPDATE: all the SLH properties are also Mr and Mrs Smith. Interesting.
Very interesting indeed! So it means that some of those SLH properties (those also on Mr and Mrs Smith) will still be available for booking through Hyatt and us Globalists can still get our benefits as like before this announcement?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My SLH stays have been amazing;

Villa Travelli in Rome (points before latest increase)
Tabacon , Costa Rica
Grand Hotel Parkers, Naples

The latter two were same price via Hyatt or SKH.

i am very sad. While I have Hilton points and status, I am within reach of lifetime globalist and need more spend to reach it. I have a return visit to Naples, now the $$ may not count.
Skink likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
That’s great news . Hilton needed to expand in that sector and I can’t wait to book stays once this comes reality.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:47 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Have stayed with SLH before (resorts), but not as a Hyatt member as we tend to book direct via hotel website to add in the packages.

Any idea how integration with Hilton will go ? Spend and Earn Points ? Elite recognition ?

This definitely opens up Hilton, as they are mainly my "work" hotels but seldom in my "holiday" hotel list unless it's a major city.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:57 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I'm glad SLH will remain as an option for one of "my" chains.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:40 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Don't let the door hit them on the way out. They didn't even properly integrate brand benefits. I won't say that this is a gain for Hyatt, but it's really not much of a loss.

[Mr. and Mrs. Smith is a gain, and I'd consider the trade to be a net benefit presuming that the latter gets fully integrated without serious damage, even if I don't want to think about how horridly expensive something like Aman New York would be in points.]
Sydneyberlin likes this.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Feb 7, 2024 at 11:47 pm
Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:38 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
As above, the loss is the use of points at SLH properties. I write this from a $1,200/night villa I booked wide 25,000 Hyatt points per night.

The cash rates were never competitive.
SanDiego1K and bosman like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.