Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
World of Hyatt and Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be ending their strategic relationship effective May 15, 2024.

This thread is staying behind in the Hyatt forum to address the wind-down, handling of existing reservations, etc.

For the active Hilton forum thread, see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ns-hilton.html

Hyatt announcement:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ls-update.html

What does this change mean for World of Hyatt members?

Reservations:
  • Existing Reservations
    • For stays with a check-in date on or before May 15, 2024: Eligible paid and award stays at Small Luxury Hotels of the World will be honored and benefits will be earned.
    • For stays with check-in dates after May 15, 2024: The stay will be honored, but World of Hyatt benefits like breakfast, earning points and nights toward tier status will no longer be available at Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
  • New Reservations
    • Yes, new reservations can be made until May 15, 2024 for stays with a checkout date before May 15, 2024.
  • Reservation Cancellations
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: Contact Small Luxury Hotels of the World directly for cancellations to paid and award reservations at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected].
  • Reservation Modifications
    • On or before May 15, 2024: Contact a Hyatt Global Care Center at 1.888.848.9496 (or 1.402.952.1131 if outside the US).
    • After May 15, 2024: To modify a reservation, both paid and award stays will need to be cancelled directly with Small Luxury Hotels of the World at 1.212.953.0118, 44.207.802.289, or [email protected] and rebooked. New rates may apply.
Additional World of Hyatt Program and Benefits:
  • World of Hyatt credit cardmembers will continue to earn 4 Bonus Points for every eligible dollar spent on their card at participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World locations until August 31, 2024.

Print Wikipost

Small Luxury Hotels of the World to leave Hyatt, joins Hilton (effective 15 May 2024)

Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CLEguy
I would gently suggest that the sub-forum itself suffers from low visibility, as users will only visit to seek out a specific property, rather than being a destination itself as the main forum is. As the “moved” thread header moves down the page<snip>
I'd gently suggest that the reason the sub-forum suffers low visibility/traffic is because, at the end of the day, not that many folks care about SLH. Not trying to be rude, but it is what it is. If lots and lots of WOH members were using SLH over the years there would be much, much more traffic in this forum, but there isn't. Again, not trying to be rude or anything, it just is what it is. Data doesn't lie. Also, the signs of this have been long predicted so I don't think its any great shock to anyone.

Originally Posted by CLEguy
I worry that the discussion here will be buried and die.
Honestly, at the end of the day, what is there to discuss? Its done, it is what it is. If the discussion "dies" it's because not that many people care about it. Not sure that we need to arbitrarily keep the discussion "alive." If folks are interested, they'll find it. If they aren't they won't.

If we are "voting" I'm fine with the topic remaining in the correct forum (which, by definition is this forum). Those that care will find it and participate.

Regards
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:16 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I haven’t seen any news of SLH leaving Hyatt. Still bookable.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:16 am

Maybe Hyatt can now integrate Mr and Mrs Smith
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'd gently suggest that the reason the sub-forum suffers low visibility/traffic is because, at the end of the day, not that many folks care about SLH. Not trying to be rude, but it is what it is. If lots and lots of WOH members were using SLH over the years there would be much, much more traffic in this forum, but there isn't. Again, not trying to be rude or anything, it just is what it is. Data doesn't lie. Also, the signs of this have been long predicted so I don't think its any great shock to anyone.

Honestly, at the end of the day, what is there to discuss? Its done, it is what it is. If the discussion "dies" it's because not that many people care about it. Not sure that we need to arbitrarily keep the discussion "alive." If folks are interested, they'll find it. If they aren't they won't.

If we are "voting" I'm fine with the topic remaining in the correct forum (which, by definition is this forum). Those that care will find it and participate.

Regards
I booked one of these hotels (Grand Hotel Central in Barcelona) using Hyatt points a couple of years ago. I just saw it as another Hyatt option in Barcelona (maybe the best one!). I do think a thread would be relevant, both in the main Hyatt and main Hilton forums.
whatsamonad likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by myeurocrush
I haven’t seen any news of SLH leaving Hyatt. Still bookable.
Hilton keeps emphasizing this is an “exclusive” partnership, so I would guess the switch will happen over the coming months
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I booked one of these hotels (Grand Hotel Central in Barcelona) using Hyatt points a couple of years ago. I just saw it as another Hyatt option in Barcelona (maybe the best one!). I do think a thread would be relevant, both in the main Hyatt and main Hilton forums.
I'm not saying that nobody books SLH, but relatively speaking, few do. Again, the data doesn't lie. The lack of use of SLH is clearly reflected in the lower traffic/visibility this sub-forum receives. I mean, historically, this sub-forum can go days to up to week with nary a single post. That is a message right there.

I mean, you yourself just said, "I booked one... a couple years ago." Ok, you booked one a couple years ago and now the option to do so in the future is being removed. Do you feel like that requires a lot of in-depth "discussion?"

Obviously, there will be a discussion in the Hilton forum, but that will be a different one than here (i.e. this is a "new, new thing" for those folks).

And, again, I'm not trying to be rude or adversarial, but I think its worth putting this in its proper context. There are single Hyatt properties that have left the brand/program that generated more discussion than this entire SLH thing ever will. For many of us, it's just a big "nothing burger."

Regards
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
All that really matters is when and if SLH award bookings using Hyatt points are unceremoniously cancelled, leaving people stranded...
bosman likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm not saying that nobody books SLH, but relatively speaking, few do. Again, the data doesn't lie. The lack of use of SLH is clearly reflected in the lower traffic/visibility this sub-forum receives. I mean, historically, this sub-forum can go days to up to week with nary a single post. That is a message right there.

Regards
Maybe some just saw these hotels as additional options that showed up in the Hyatt app or website as opposed to a separate category of hotels? Again, I made several posts about Grand Hotel Europe in the “Hyatt options in Barcelona” thread (or whatever it is called). I would have never thought to click through to the SLH sub forum.
whatsamonad likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:00 am

Maybe some just saw these hotels as additional options that showed up in the Hyatt app or website as opposed to a separate category of hotels? Again, I made several posts about Grand Hotel Europe in the “Hyatt options in Barcelona” thread (or whatever it is called). I would have never thought to click through to the SLH sub forum.
I apologize, perhaps I'm dense, but what, specifically, do you want to discuss? At this point, the majority of the "discussion" (by a wide margin as of this writing) in this thread is not about the actual change, but rather what forum it should or should not be in. You actually haven't discussed anything. You posted a URL without any context, commentary, observations of how it will or will not impact you, what impact this may or may not have on Hyatt's business, etc? The posters in this thread that seem to be worried about the discussion "dying," as of yet, haven't actually discussed anything other than 1) which forum this should or should not be in and 2) and expressing concern this won't get enough visibility in the sub-forum.

Again, so you made a few posts about a property you stayed at a couple years ago and apparently you haven't done an SLH booking before or since (if I'm understanding correctly), does that really require a lot of discussion in the main Hyatt forum? My point of view isn't stopping anyone from discussing, by all means discuss away!

The net is this; the forum moderator made a decision to put this in the SLH thread (which IMHO is where it properly belongs). Anyone that subscribes to the Hyatt forum is also automatically subscribed to the sub-forums a well, in fact they are right at the very top of the page. And the only thread title that shows right now is this one, because its the only thread in this forum getting any traffic. Eventually, this will hit all the blogs, etc. so if someone is genuinely interested I'm pretty sure they can find their way to the sub-forum to discuss it.

Regards
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
All that really matters is when and if SLH award bookings using Hyatt points are unceremoniously cancelled, leaving people stranded...
No, as confirmed by many people with point bookings when a hotel left SLH (and subsequently WoH), their bookings were still honored and their EQNs credited.

I suppose WoH and SLH partnership is a bit different than regular. Here all point-related issues are handled by WoH: Hyatt take your points and pay money to SLH. Hyatt take your money for the room rates and credit points to your account. That's the only explanation why point bookings are not affected when a hotel left SLH (because the hotel was already paid money, your reservation is no different than any other reservations in that hotel's book). Also, you only get points for room rates because that's the only monetary information that Hyatt have, they don't know about your incremental charges at SLH properties.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:08 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
SLH was definitely a great Hyatt option. I loved it. I booked an SLH hotel in St. Tropez once and it was once of my best point redemptions ever. I think Hyatt award availability was sparse though. Hopefully Hilton does better in that area, but I doubt it.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:25 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
SLH point redemptions could occasionally be good, but on the whole, you could book many of these properties at significantly lower rates (up to 50% cheaper, for some rooms and some dates that I found!) directly on the hotel's own website.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
No, as confirmed by many people with point bookings when a hotel left SLH (and subsequently WoH), their bookings were still honored and their EQNs credited.

I suppose WoH and SLH partnership is a bit different than regular. Here all point-related issues are handled by WoH: Hyatt take your points and pay money to SLH. Hyatt take your money for the room rates and credit points to your account. That's the only explanation why point bookings are not affected when a hotel left SLH (because the hotel was already paid money, your reservation is no different than any other reservations in that hotel's book). Also, you only get points for room rates because that's the only monetary information that Hyatt have, they don't know about your incremental charges at SLH properties.
One thing is when an individual hotel leaves the SLH/Hyatt system but the corporate relationship means that Hyatt continues to pay. It will be another thing entirely when the whole SLH/Hyatt partnership ends.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If some of these hotels genuinely benefitted from the Hyatt relationship (e.g. Calala Island, where a reasonably significant portion of their rooms were available for points redemptions) then they could always join Mr & Mrs. Smith (MMS). Realistically, not like the MMS acquisition is going to be significantly more tightly integrated into Hyatt vs. SLH. I could also see some properties having (/continuing) relationships with both SLH and MMS.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
“Exclusive” pretty much says it all. Now it’s about timing.

Ad of now, though, not only is my current late July reservation there, I could book a new one at the same location. So maybe not imminent.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Feb 7, 2024 at 8:59 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.