Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Rio/other Hyatt options for Superbowl weekend (Feb 11, 2024 in Las Vegas)

Rio/other Hyatt options for Superbowl weekend (Feb 11, 2024 in Las Vegas)

Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:11 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Live: IWI; Work: DCA/Everywhere; Play: LAS/SJU/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Posts: 6,659
Rio/other Hyatt options for Superbowl weekend (Feb 11, 2024 in Las Vegas)

Originally Posted by olouie
Most are not even close to 70" right now. Its a dump, would avoid at all costs.
I am going to Vegas Feb 8-12, it's Super Bowl weekend. I need to put some folks up for a night -- one night -- Saturday 2/10 only. I was able to book a "1 bedroom suite 2 queen beds high floor strip view" for $662++ ($796 all in) at the Rio on hyatt.com (cheaper than what was available on Rio's own site). Keep in mind that Circus Circus is $515 that night for a regular room, Motel 6 is $611, the Nirvana motel is $811, and the rest of the town is darn well sold out. (I was lucky enough to get 4 nights comped at Circa despite never having lost a dime there.)

So, how much of a dump is the Rio? If you were in my shoes, and you were putting folks up just for sleeping purposes only (we're doing dinner at Le Cirque, then going to U2 at the Sphere that night), given the paucity of other options... would Motel 6 actually be better? Honest question! (I have never set foot inside the Rio, but I was lured by the Hyatt app into thinking it would at least be passable for a night.)
Tahoejoe1112 likes this.
platbrownguy is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:34 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 4,832
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I am going to Vegas Feb 8-12, it's Super Bowl weekend. I need to put some folks up for a night -- one night -- Saturday 2/10 only. I was able to book a "1 bedroom suite 2 queen beds high floor strip view" for $662++ ($796 all in) at the Rio on hyatt.com (cheaper than what was available on Rio's own site). Keep in mind that Circus Circus is $515 that night for a regular room, Motel 6 is $611, the Nirvana motel is $811, and the rest of the town is darn well sold out. (I was lucky enough to get 4 nights comped at Circa despite never having lost a dime there.)

So, how much of a dump is the Rio? If you were in my shoes, and you were putting folks up just for sleeping purposes only (we're doing dinner at Le Cirque, then going to U2 at the Sphere that night), given the paucity of other options... would Motel 6 actually be better? Honest question! (I have never set foot inside the Rio, but I was lured by the Hyatt app into thinking it would at least be passable for a night.)
For me -

Circus Circus Worst

OYO Previously Hooters

Motel 6

Excalibur

Luxor

Rio

(Worst to best)
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:29 am
  #3  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AMS+IAH
Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Posts: 3,485
Even the 4Queens and tout Freemont street is better than the Rio.....
What it says on Tripadvisor / Google reviews about the Rio is for once all the plain truth
.....
As written above Circus Circus is a place where sad comes to hang itself,
Especially if you hear those magic words .... " you have been upgraded to the manor house "
......
If with an all bloke party theme, Circa is the best choice, epecially with pool+screens showing nonstop the superbowl.
https://www.circalasvegas.com/stadium-swim/
OMG, not much of a sports better here, but it sure is catchy there !

Last edited by HadesNL; Dec 21, 2023 at 3:42 pm
HadesNL is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:37 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Posts: 6,015
Originally Posted by Matt4200
For me -

Circus Circus Worst

OYO Previously Hooters

Motel 6

Excalibur

Luxor

Rio

(Worst to best)
Saddest list of properties ever. I wonder, what property would you rank just above Rio?
TravelinSperry is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:55 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 16,801
Originally Posted by Matt4200
For me -

Circus Circus Worst

OYO Previously Hooters

Motel 6

Excalibur

Luxor

Rio

(Worst to best)
So Rio isn’t that bad after all?

I hate to admit it, but I have personally stayed at three of the “mid tier” properties on your list (Luxor, Excalibur, and Motel 6). Alas, that was 20-30 years ago. The Motel 6 in 1993 was, well, a Motel 6, and I was a poor starving student on a road trip, and comparison shopping via the internet wasn’t a thing yet. The Luxor, I think, was relatively new when I stayed there, and it seemed perfectly nice. The Excalibur wasn’t great, but for a road trip stop-over where we spent next to no time beyond sleep time in the hotel it was fine. Pretty much the only thing I remember is the long trip from the free self parking lot to the hotel through the smoky casino.
notquiteaff is online now  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:08 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,324
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Anyone going to Vegas to watch TV in their hotel room?
Can anyone confirm? Are there actually rooms with 70 inch televisions? I think notquiteaff will not stay there if not.
HHonors OUTSIDER is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:11 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Posts: 1,314
Originally Posted by Matt4200
For me -

Circus Circus Worst

OYO Previously Hooters

Motel 6

Excalibur

Luxor

Rio

(Worst to best)
I don’t know anything about oyo or Motel 6, but the rest of this is pretty much spot on as far as rooms go.
rajuabju is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 4,832
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Saddest list of properties ever. I wonder, what property would you rank just above Rio?
That’s a tough one -

Either Strat or Linq.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:47 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Posts: 1,948
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Saddest list of properties ever. I wonder, what property would you rank just above Rio?
Any list of the worst casinos in Vegas to stay at has got to include NYNY.
jetsfan92588 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:49 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Posts: 6,015
Originally Posted by Matt4200
That’s a tough one -

Either Strat or Linq.
Nailed it. Your'e good at this game. And what's next, Flamingo or Horseshoe (which was Bally's)? And then possibly Planet Hollywood or Treasure Island?

I stayed at Circus Circus once... omg, it was horrible. Literally the worst of all hotels - how do they stay in business?! I stayed at Rio back in the day (around when it first opened). They were all suites I believe which many did not and I liked it at the time. I don't recall it being horrible, other than the location not being optimal. I was a young single fellow then though, can't imagine I'd be OK with it now. Also stayed at Luxor 1x way back when. The windows being slanted were awful (you couldn't look down due to the pyramid style). Room had a funky smell too and casino yikes. Can't imagine it's gotten much better.
TravelinSperry is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:49 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 16,801
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I am going to Vegas Feb 8-12, it's Super Bowl weekend. I need to put some folks up for a night -- one night -- Saturday 2/10 only. I was able to book a "1 bedroom suite 2 queen beds high floor strip view" for $662++ ($796 all in) at the Rio on hyatt.com (cheaper than what was available on Rio's own site).
Did you by chance check what AA Hotels wanted for the room? I’d hate to give Hyatt that much revenue without any kind of loyalty program “kickback” (unless, of course, the price is right). While I used to use hotels.com as my “cats and dogs” booking channel for hotel stays where I couldn’t or didn’t care to earn native loyalty program points, after the massive OneKey deval last year I am finding myself now often shopping on AA Hotels for LPs and RDMs.
notquiteaff is online now  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:50 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Posts: 6,015
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Any list of the worst casinos in Vegas to stay at has got to include NYNY.
haha, forgot about them. Paris can't be too far off from NYNY, although that's just a guess... never stayed at either.
TravelinSperry is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 11:36 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Posts: 1,059
Originally Posted by Matt4200
For me -

Circus Circus Worst

OYO Previously Hooters

Motel 6

Excalibur

Luxor

Rio

(Worst to best)
The MEDIA hotel supposedly is going to be the Luxor for the Super Bowl?

hear that sound? It’s the collective screams of 1000 sportswriters with lifetime Marriott Titanium status furious that MGM and Marriott didn’t get their .... together in time for SB.

I hope Marriott and MGM get the shaming they are due. I can handle a dump as long as I get my points.
fotoflyer88 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 5:32 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Live: IWI; Work: DCA/Everywhere; Play: LAS/SJU/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Posts: 6,659
Originally Posted by Matt4200
For me -

Circus Circus Worst

OYO Previously Hooters

Motel 6

Excalibur

Luxor

Rio

(Worst to best)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So Rio isn’t that bad after all?

I hate to admit it, but I have personally stayed at three of the “mid tier” properties on your list (Luxor, Excalibur, and Motel 6). Alas, that was 20-30 years ago. The Motel 6 in 1993 was, well, a Motel 6, and I was a poor starving student on a road trip, and comparison shopping via the internet wasn’t a thing yet. The Luxor, I think, was relatively new when I stayed there, and it seemed perfectly nice. The Excalibur wasn’t great, but for a road trip stop-over where we spent next to no time beyond sleep time in the hotel it was fine. Pretty much the only thing I remember is the long trip from the free self parking lot to the hotel through the smoky casino.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did you by chance check what AA Hotels wanted for the room? I’d hate to give Hyatt that much revenue without any kind of loyalty program “kickback” (unless, of course, the price is right). While I used to use hotels.com as my “cats and dogs” booking channel for hotel stays where I couldn’t or didn’t care to earn native loyalty program points, after the massive OneKey deval last year I am finding myself now often shopping on AA Hotels for LPs and RDMs.
Thanks all. The room type at Rio is sold out now and I'm not really worried about price (I'm already paying $800 for a dump, LOL).

TA reviews aren't particularly useful in this instance, most are the person's only review and most of them are about the resort fee, which, who cares, I'm paying $800. Nothing in them sounds too bad tbh, I will go check in before the guests show up and I'll make sure the room is clean enough and the shower works. Wifi, dated look, who cares. My main concern is, is it actually going to be a dirty smelly dump? Circus circus is known for that, just nasty from lack of cleaning. Any insight on that kind of issue here?

If not, given the lack of other options, I guess Rio probably is the right choice for Feb 10. But I've got my eye on all options in case something better pops up.
platbrownguy is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:55 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,956
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Any list of the worst casinos in Vegas to stay at has got to include NYNY.
NYNY rooms are remodeled now and actually decent.
olouie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.