Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Pause or extend status for being a new parent?

Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP

I've been Globalist/Diamond with Hyatt for many years, and I will re-qualify again for 2024 with 60+ nights in 2023. We are expecting a baby in Q1 2024 that will significantly decrease my business and leisure travel for most of the 2024-2025 membership year. In an ideal world [of hyatt], I would like to put that 2023 activity towards qualifying for 2025-2026 when our travel would pick up again.

Customer service tells me there is no program or policy in place to grant extensions, pauses, fast-track back, or anything else that would help in my situation. Has anyone had different experiences?

It seems like most airlines have exception processes and Alaska has an official policy. But Hyatt says there's not even a way to ask for an exception.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 2:22 pm

No and nor should there be. Every single customer has a life with all manner of events in it. Requal again when it fits your life.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 2:38 pm

If they dont extend for people when their country is at war, I am guessing they dont care about babies haha
Old Dec 7, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by soartoday
I've been Globalist/Diamond with Hyatt for many years, and I will re-qualify again for 2024 with 60+ nights in 2023. We are expecting a baby in Q1 2024 that will significantly decrease my business and leisure travel for most of the 2024-2025 membership year. In an ideal world [of hyatt], I would like to put that 2023 activity towards qualifying for 2025-2026 when our travel would pick up again.

Customer service tells me there is no program or policy in place to grant extensions, pauses, fast-track back, or anything else that would help in my situation. Has anyone had different experiences?

It seems like most airlines have exception processes and Alaska has an official policy. But Hyatt says there's not even a way to ask for an exception.
Our first son was born in December and by July he had been in several states, flights, hotels. I dont think thats exactly an excuse as travel is possible.

I would say your best bet is to hope for a 20 night challenge. If you can stay naturally in that timeframe great if not then MR the nights.

Thats the best you can hope to do if you dont feel youll be able to naturally hit 60.

In addition to that theres the WOH card you get nights just for having it, and spending inches you closer as well. On top of that if you gift your 5 Guest of Honor Awards youll net 5 EQNs.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Our first son was born in December and by July he had been in several states, flights, hotels. I don’t think that’s exactly an excuse as travel is possible.

I would say your best bet is to hope for a 20 night challenge. If you can stay naturally in that timeframe great if not then MR the nights.

That’s the best you can hope to do if you don’t feel you’ll be able to naturally hit 60.

In addition to that there’s the WOH card you get nights just for having it, and spending inches you closer as well. On top of that if you gift your 5 Guest of Honor Awards you’ll net 5 EQN’s.
Thanks for the thoughts. I don't think it will be zero travel, but we're certainly not going to travel for anything for the first few months, and avoiding business travel for many months after that.

I do have both WOH personal and business cards, so I don't start from scratch. But if I don't think I'll get 50 nights otherwise (with hotel stays or $100K in credit card spend), perhaps I'll just settle for the inferior (but lifetime) Marriott Titanium status for stays in the meantime. After over a decade, it's tough to think about re-qualifying without already having Globalist.

The snark from other posters aside (who will now chime in with "whatever, more upgrades for me"), I'm surprised with the lack of pause/extension for life events given so many corporate/AA/other matches and fast-tracks.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by soartoday
Thanks for the thoughts. I don't think it will be zero travel, but we're certainly not going to travel for anything for the first few months, and avoiding business travel for many months after that.

I do have both WOH personal and business cards, so I don't start from scratch. But if I don't think I'll get 50 nights otherwise (with hotel stays or $100K in credit card spend), perhaps I'll just settle for the inferior (but lifetime) Marriott Titanium status for stays in the meantime. After over a decade, it's tough to think about re-qualifying without already having Globalist.

The snark from other posters aside (who will now chime in with "whatever, more upgrades for me"), I'm surprised with the lack of pause/extension for life events given so many corporate/AA/other matches and fast-tracks.
Yeah, thats just the loyalty world for the most part. Even if you were in an accident and put into a coma they likely wouldnt do anything special to accommodate you.

I feel like theres a good chance for a fast track or some challenge next year though especially with the new rollouts.
soartoday likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 3:59 pm

No snark from me, nor do I think it is more upgrade for me, etc. Since we are being frank, it is in my opinion, an awfully entitled position to think that a company should gift you the highest loyalty status they offer, along with the benefits it bestows simply based on the fact that you used to spend money with them in the required amounts to earn said status but will not do so now because you chose to have a child. I would never imagine even asking for such a thing and being surprised at the lack of an avenue through which one could petition for such a colossal hand out is astonishing to me. Earn it again next year or whatever year your life permits it. Amazing to me the level of entitlement that has seeped into every corner of society that anyone would even think such a request would be granted and more so that they think there should be an official channel through which one could request such unjustified largesse.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by antonius66
Amazing to me the level of entitlement that has seeped into every corner of society that anyone would even think such a request would be granted and more so that they think there should be an official channel through which one could request such unjustified largesse.
As noted above it seems AS has an "elite leave" policy, and besides fast tracks like DL's "reclaim your status" this NerdWallet article lists several other airlines that offer status extensions and/or putting status on hold for life events including maternity/paternity:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...tus-extensions

So although you might never consider one of these programs yourself, it doesn't seem outrageous to wonder whether one exists.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
I would never imagine even asking for such a thing and being surprised at the lack of an avenue through which one could petition for such a colossal hand out is astonishing to me. Earn it again next year or whatever year your life permits it. Amazing to me the level of entitlement that has seeped into every corner of society that anyone would even think such a request would be granted and more so that they think there should be an official channel through which one could request such unjustified largesse.
It's your attitude that is quite shocking/astonishing. It's not a handout in the slightest. Consider it as if OP foregoes any benefits of status for the coming year and defers this to a later year. It's well-documented in other loyalty programs, which makes sense since it's literally engendering and rewarding loyalty without any additional cost beyond the normal loyalty program. In any case, OP didn't come in here demanding anything, or even complaining. They just asked if there have been any other data points.
soartoday likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
No. Pregnancy and parenthood are not disabilities. If maintaining the status is important, youll figure it out.
antonius66 and SF1K like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
It's your attitude that is quite shocking/astonishing. It's not a handout in the slightest. Consider it as if OP foregoes any benefits of status for the coming year and defers this to a later year. It's well-documented in other loyalty programs, which makes sense since it's literally engendering and rewarding loyalty without any additional cost beyond the normal loyalty program. In any case, OP didn't come in here demanding anything, or even complaining. They just asked if there have been any other data points.
Nowhere did I say anything about the OP demanding or complaining. So I'm not sure what your point is, since you literally just made up words and put them in my mouth. And giving the benefits of the status for a year without earning them is literally a handout so, yeah. The OP has not said they won't travel at all just they it would be reduced to the point they could not requalify for another year so effectively they want full benefits for a limited travel year (which they earned already) plus full benefits for another full year without earning them. I'm sure the OP will re-earn the status when their life allows it.

Other programs choosing to offer theoretical scenarios where they may offer free status extension does not change the fact that giving full status without meeting the requirements is by definition a handout.

Anyway, whatever. I'm sure mods will just lock this now, as they should since the answer has been given. Barring another Hyatt status giveaway or challenge (of which there is definitely a non zero chance of it happening for sure), the OP has their answer and that answer is no.
nexusCFX likes this.

Last edited by antonius66; Dec 7, 2023 at 10:19 pm
Old Dec 7, 2023, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by wrldwide1
No. Pregnancy and parenthood are not disabilities. If maintaining the status is important, youll figure it out.
Clearly certain programs disagree (notably the ones mentioned above and BA) that it's on a new parent to figure things out. There's certainly a business logic to it as well. If a person has high level status from spending a lot of money with a given company and then they have to come back as a free agent with no status benefits, they have no reason to go back to the brand/company to which they'd previously been loyal. With status being extended, there's a higher likelihood of business retention.
soartoday and SanDiego1K like this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Hilton would let you keep diamond in such a situation, once. So at least one hotel program has such a policy.
soartoday likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 9:27 am

I'm in a similar situation, and never once considered asking about such a thing. I'm going to throw a lot of expenses on the credit card and get my 2 EQNs $5k at a time. At some point next year, I'll evaluate the progress I'm making, or not making, toward globalist, and either continue to earn via spend or abandon the strategy and go back to be a peasant non globalist, for 2025
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by trm2
Hilton would let you keep diamond in such a situation, once. So at least one hotel program has such a policy.
Marriott as well. Or at least did 5 years ago.
soartoday likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.