Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Points booking "two night [cancellation] fee" not fixed and not disclosed?

Old May 15, 2023, 2:10 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Hello,

I booked a points stay at The Lodge at Kukui’ula and the cancellation terms are listed as, "30 Days PRIOR TO 11:59 PM LOCAL TIME THE DAY OF ARRIVAL or Two Night Fee/ Two Night Deposit at Booking."

After the recent post on Loyalty Lobby about huge cancellation fees on Hyatt points bookings, I reached out to Hyatt support asking "what will the two night fee $ amount be if there's some unexpected problem, like if I get the flu?" The response:
  • On a cash rate, they take the deposit at booking time based on the rate you booked and that is what you forfeit.
  • On a points booking, the "two night fee" is not fixed and floats based on whatever last-minute rate the hotel is charging.
This sounds very customer unfriendly to agree to a monetary penalty that isn't fixed and can float to rack rates or extreme last minute "surge pricing" rates? Hyatt support's response was, "reservations made with points are not guaranteed a cancellation penalty rate. It is a cancellation 'penalty' for a reason. I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't change the policy."

The current nightly charge for the room I booked at The Lodge is ~$1800. If I had to pay a $3600 cancellation penalty I'd survive, as that is what I'd be facing on a cash stay. But couldn't they be charging $4-5k / night at the last minute if availability is extremely low? In Hawaii the sky is the limit lately when 5 star hotels are charging $2k / night for a dumpster view room. In that case a 2 night last minute fee could be more than the entire 5 night stay prepaid cash rate? Is this something people just live with, or is there some actual cap on this?

Thanks.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:21 pm

I can't answer the question as to cap, but encourage you to review trip insurance options, both Credit card as well as other insurance options. It's not a natural thing for US travelers to do but may make sense in the case of risk such as you describe.
EuropeanPete and craigthemif like this.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by david22
  • On a points booking, the "two night fee" is not fixed and floats based on whatever last-minute rate the hotel is charging.
So what they are telling you is that on a points booking the charge you an amount that they pull out of you-know-where and that likely isn’t backed up by anything you can verify.

Wonder what they would say if you called them after the cancellation deadline to tell them that unfortunately you have an infectious disease (as flu influenza is) and that you just want them to be aware of it, so they can, uh, take precautions for their staff and other guests.

Originally Posted by xooz
I can't answer the question as to cap, but encourage you to review trip insurance options, both Credit card as well as other insurance options. It's not a natural thing for US travelers to do but may make sense in the case of risk such as you describe.

I am curious if anyone has experience with getting such charges covered by Chase or Amex credit cards.
Old May 15, 2023, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In California (and most states) contractual penalties are unenforceable. This purported contractual term would also be subject to challenge as unconscionable. The properties get away with this nonsense because very few people go to the trouble to actually challenge these practices.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:08 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Originally Posted by xooz
I am curious if anyone has experience with getting such charges covered by Chase or Amex credit cards.
Why would the credit cards cover in this situation? There's nothing that's being charged to the card to book the reservation?

Some Credit cards cover award flights if the taxes go on the card, though.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by david22
Why would the credit cards cover in this situation? There's nothing that's being charged to the card to book the reservation?

Some Credit cards cover award flights if the taxes go on the card, though.
If you book the flight through the card, then the entire trip is covered for cancellation/interruption. Still a little YMMV on whether it would actully get covered though since CSR says:
If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours and hotels.

It is hotels, under the $10K/person and non-refundable. Just questionable whether they would enforce the pre-paid part of the reasoning or not.
your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours and hotels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.