Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Headache of a stay using points from 2 accounts (mine + husband's)

Headache of a stay using points from 2 accounts (mine + husband's)

Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 39
Headache of a stay using points from 2 accounts (mine + husband's)

Currently staying at the Hyatt Paris Madeleine, last night of a 3 night stay.

I know that Hyatt allows for transferring points from one account to another. I thought I could save the trouble of filling out paperwork by emailing the hotel ahead of time to ask if I book consecutive nights using my points and my husband's points, my Globalist status could be extended to the entire stay and they assured me my Globalist benefits would be extended for the entirety of the stay. I also emailed the individual confirmation numbers so they could link them ahead of time and avoid the key deactivating, etc.

Flash forward to checkin, they asked if it was only a one night stay. So I had to re-explain the situation and wait for them to link the reservation. It was weird because they told me they remembered my email. No upgrade because the hotel was fully booked. They asked me to check back the next day for a room upgrade. No explanation of Globalist benefits.

Day 2: At breakfast, I was brought a bill. Not sure if it will be taken off at checkout, but I have the email from them stating that breakfast is included so I will just show that at checkout. I was able to switch rooms to a 1 category upgrade (non-suite).
Day 3: At breakfast, I was told the bill is included no need to sign anything. When I came back to my room, the key was deactivated. In the evening, I asked for a 4pm checkout the next day. They checked the room number and said best they could do is 1:30. I asked about their policy for Globalists, and they said the room only has Discoverist status. So I had to re-explain the situation again and asked if Globalists get guaranteed 4pm checkout, and they said no, no that they're aware of but they'll give me 2pm.

Overall, I really regret spending 30,000 points a night at the property. I had heard they have great Globalist benefits like some happy hour which was never explained to me. It's okay, we're out exploring Paris most of the day anyways. Just a heads up to others to combine your points to one account because some properties are really bad at logistics despite many attempts to communicate.

Last edited by loganseatac; Apr 11, 2023 at 4:06 pm
loganseatac is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:35 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: LAX, SNA, LGB
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by loganseatac
Currently staying at the Hyatt Paris Madeleine, last night of a 3 night stay.

I know that Hyatt allows for transferring points from one account to another. I thought I could save the trouble of filling out paperwork by emailing the hotel ahead of time to ask if I book consecutive nights using my points and my husband's points, my Globalist status could be extended to the entire stay and they assured me my Globalist benefits would be extended for the entirety of the stay. I also emailed the individual confirmation numbers so they could link them ahead of time and avoid the key deactivating, etc.

Flash forward to checkin, they asked if it was only a one night stay. So I had to re-explain the situation and wait for them to link the reservation. It was weird because they told me they remembered my email. No upgrade because the hotel was fully booked. They asked me to check back the next day for a room upgrade. No explanation of Globalist benefits.

Day 2: At breakfast, I was brought a bill. Not sure if it will be taken off at checkout, but I have the email from them stating that breakfast is included so I will just show that at checkout. I was able to switch rooms to a 1 category upgrade (non-suite).
Day 3: At breakfast, I was told the bill is included no need to sign anything. When I came back to my room, the key was deactivated. In the evening, I asked for a 4pm checkout the next day. They checked the room number and said best they could do is 1:30. I asked about their policy for Globalists, and they said the room only has Discoverist status. So I had to re-explain the situation again and asked if Globalists get guaranteed 4pm checkout, and they said no, no that they're aware of but they'll give me 2pm.

Overall, I really regret spending 30,000 points a night at the property. I had heard they have great Globalist benefits like some happy hour which was never explained to me. It's okay, we out exploring Paris most of the day anyways. Just a heads up to others to combine your points to one account because some properties are really bad at logistics despite many attempts to communicate.
What nights were under your account vs your husband's? From what it sounds like you booked for one night with your points and the other 2 with your husband's.

I think the best way to avoid any incidence like this is to transfer the points over to you and to have you book.

The T&C's says that the elite member has to be the one using their points/paid eligible stay to receive the benefits.
wrldwide1 likes this.
hsumh316 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:48 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by hsumh316
What nights were under your account vs your husband's? From what it sounds like you booked for one night with your points and the other 2 with your husband's.
Correct, though I originally had booked 3 nights all in my account paid with points for 1 night and cash for 2 nights. When I emailed to ask about their policy of extending Globalist benefits and was told it could be done, I canceled my cash booking, booked using my husband's points and emailed them the reservation numbers to link them. I'm just annoyed at the lack of transparency. If they told me that was the case, I would've done it differently, either paying in cash or transferring points over. It wasn't that difficult and I wanted to avoid any mishaps by asking ahead of time.

Last edited by loganseatac; Apr 11, 2023 at 4:08 pm
loganseatac is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:57 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by loganseatac
Correct, though I originally had booked 3 nights all in my account paid with points for 1 night and cash for 2 nights. When I emailed to ask about their policy of extending Globalist benefits and was told it could be done, I canceled my cash booking, booked using my husband's points and emailed them the reservation numbers to link them. I'm just annoyed at the lack of transparency. If they told that was the case, I would've done it differently, either paying in cash or transferring points over. It wasn't that difficult and I wanted to avoid any mishaps by asking ahead of time.
You asked them to do something out of the ordinary -- you should not be surprised that random front desk people don't know that someone told you that you could get an exception to the rules.

You should have just booked the whole thing using your points (going into negative balance -- your concierge can do this) and then transferred the points to bring it back to even. Your attempts to "save time" just made everything more complicated.
bbbb, wrldwide1 and Adam1222 like this.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:02 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You asked them to do something out of the ordinary -- you should not be surprised that random front desk people don't know that someone told you that you could get an exception to the rules.

You should have just booked the whole thing using your points (going into negative balance -- your concierge can do this) and then transferred the points to bring it back to even. Your attempts to "save time" just made everything more complicated.
Whoa, I did not know that going into the negative was an option. I'll consider this a learning experience and will post all future questions to flyertalk instead of talking directly to the hotel.
loganseatac is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:07 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by loganseatac
Whoa, I did not know that going into the negative was an option. I'll consider this a learning experience and will post all future questions to flyertalk instead of talking directly to the hotel.
Negative balance is fine so long as you make good on it relatively quickly. I think it has to be before you check in for the stay (though I'm not 100% sure of this) And I think they only do it for globalists.

It can be nice if you are worried that there will be no availability by the time you transfer points.
pWei likes this.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:18 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 16,838
Wouldn’t another advantage of going through with the transfer be that you would earn elite qualifying nights for your account? Not sure if you need them, but it might still be more useful to have them in the Glob account for requal or milestone purposes.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:04 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 39
The datapoints for transfers that I read ranged from 2 days to 6 weeks and my trip was 1.5 weeks out when I emailed. So there was a risk the transfer wouldn't be completed before the stay. In hindsight, since I was waivering about paying the cash rate, I should've booked the cash rate, transferred points and crossed my fingers. Emailing the hotel and trusting their answer was a n00b mistake.
loganseatac is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:46 pm
  #9  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by loganseatac
The datapoints for transfers that I read ranged from 2 days to 6 weeks and my trip was 1.5 weeks out when I emailed. So there was a risk the transfer wouldn't be completed before the stay. In hindsight, since I was waivering about paying the cash rate, I should've booked the cash rate, transferred points and crossed my fingers. Emailing the hotel and trusting their answer was a n00b mistake.
In the future, no need to transfer points for something like this. Any WoH member can gift a stay (with points or free night certs), by calling Hyatt. Like a reverse Guest of Honor booking. As long as the Globalist is listed as the actual guest on that gifted reservation, all benefits apply. If you have a concierge, they can also make these bookings for you and your spouse.
bbbb, EuropeanPete and Cara332 like this.
sch_flyer is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:33 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by sch_flyer
In the future, no need to transfer points for something like this. Any WoH member can gift a stay (with points or free night certs), by calling Hyatt. Like a reverse Guest of Honor booking. As long as the Globalist is listed as the actual guest on that gifted reservation, all benefits apply. If you have a concierge, they can also make these bookings for you and your spouse.
I am learning so many tricks. Cries hyatt points...
loganseatac is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:11 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by sch_flyer
In the future, no need to transfer points for something like this. Any WoH member can gift a stay (with points or free night certs), by calling Hyatt. Like a reverse Guest of Honor booking. As long as the Globalist is listed as the actual guest on that gifted reservation, all benefits apply. If you have a concierge, they can also make these bookings for you and your spouse.
I didn't think of that; that's definitely easier.

The important difference between this and the way that the OP did it is who gets the credit for the stay. This might be important if one of the people is on the cusp of meeting a certain status.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:27 pm
  #12  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 8,527
Originally Posted by loganseatac
Whoa, I did not know that going into the negative was an option. I'll consider this a learning experience and will post all future questions to flyertalk instead of talking directly to the hotel.
Welcome to FT. Entrust in us more than any hotel, chain or airline representative that you speak to!
m0hamed is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:54 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Taipei
Posts: 1,121
Yeah I second the award booking in someone else's name. Your husband should have called in, said they'd like to make an award booking for another WOH member, and then given your name and member #. No need to transfer points!
Cara332 likes this.
projectmaximus is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 2:36 am
  #14  
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Posts: 8,717
Some slightly harsh answers on this thread - you'd have had a reasonable chance of this working out in many places, but Paris is Paris...
Brandinho1 likes this.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:03 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 123
I recently had a similar situation that I was trying to book on the last day before the point increase. I knew it was too late to submit the form for a point transfer, so I called the Concierge line. I am a Globalist and my mom is not. She had more points than me though. We called and they said she can book the reservation for me (we were both going together) and then the stay would qualify for Globalist benefits. It was so easy.

I always knew about Guest of Honor, but I didn't really think about it in reverse--a non-Globalist booking a stay for a Globalist works too!
Cara332 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.