Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

WOH refusing to grant points for hotel dining

WOH refusing to grant points for hotel dining

Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Or they could just be customer (“guest”) friendly and offer points on everything that is charged to the room, instead of having exceptions that lead to confusion arguments with front desk agents or customer service.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pronichkin
So, I might as well, just ask “will I get points?” instead of pretending I care about how it's run.
So ask that. It works just as well.

But my point is, I don't want to ask whatsoever.
So don't ask. It's up to you. The terms are clear even if you choose to ignore them.

I just want to assume that if it's in a Hyatt, and billed to the room, then Hyatt will treat it as itself, and therefore grant points.
Ok, so you want the program to be more generous. That's fine, but not really relevant. The fact that you don't like the rules doesn't mean that the terms aren't clear.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
So ask that. It works just as well.

So don't ask. It's up to you. The terms are clear even if you choose to ignore them.

Ok, so you want the program to be more generous. That's fine, but not really relevant. The fact that you don't like the rules doesn't mean that the terms aren't clear.

Not sure who you are replying to, doesn't come through on the multi-quotes but my conclusion is sometimes some people on EF just want to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, which is unfortunate.

You are correct insofar as the terms are clear- clear legalese. Intentionally opaque and not meant to provide actionable information.

From the perspective of a consumer, clear would be stating per property what can, and cannot be earned. Period.
No"if", "generally" and "with exceptions"- that is a load of bs legal disclaimers deliberately meant to obfuscate.

And that is what others here are saying as well.

Relying on the word of a front desk person to tell you what they think will accrue points isn't sufficient in my book-- but if it's ok for you, by all means, go for it!

Anyway, 'nuff said on my end... I submitted my complaint to Hyatt and hope others will too.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Except it isn't clear.

How does one know if a restaurant physically within the hotel is operated by the hotel? It's pretty normal to assume it is operated by the hotel unless otherwise specified.

That's my point. They should specify that upfront.

Or what do we do? Guess each time? Make it clear from the get-go.
You could ask, especially if it's going make a difference if you eat there or not or how you charge the meal. It's usually pretty obvious. Hyatt's tend to use the same name for a lot of in-house dining venues.

-David
Old Apr 1, 2023, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You could ask, especially if it's going make a difference if you eat there or not or how you charge the meal. It's usually pretty obvious. Hyatt's tend to use the same name for a lot of in-house dining venues.

-David
Asking has already been suggested. But apparently that's "absurd".

I agree that it's generally obvious. The times that I haven't gotten points, I haven't been surprised. This whole thread started because someone didn't bother to read the terms and just assumed that everything charged to the room for points. And now the argument is that the terms that they did not bother to read aren't clear.

Some people expect that the rules should be exactly what they guess them to be, and if they aren't then the company doing something wrong.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Asking has already been suggested. But apparently that's "absurd".

I agree that it's generally obvious. The times that I haven't gotten points, I haven't been surprised. This whole thread started because someone didn't bother to read the terms and just assumed that everything charged to the room for points. And now the argument is that the terms that they did not bother to read aren't clear.

Some people expect that the rules should be exactly what they guess them to be, and if they aren't then the company doing something wrong.

Nope. Absolutely not the point.

The terms and conditions cited are not clear. They are legalese that “exceptions apply”. I could have read that paragraph 100 times and it would not tell me anything useful except what it says- that “it depends”.

If you think that is clear- that’s great for you. And if you think asking a front desk agent about WOH rules is sufficient that’s great. I don’t think either. “He/she told
me so” won’t hold water if there is a dispute.

What I believe is a far better is for Hyatt and or the property to BW upfront and provide the information in writing on their site. Period. That shouldn’t be so difficult for Hyatt and/or the property to do. Do you see a problem with that?

I’m kind of baffled as to why the same
person who celebrated the fact that WOH’s terms and conditions are supposedly clear wouldn’t welcome such clarity.

There is nothing more that I can add to the conversation that hasn’t already been said as your take veers into the obtuse.

​​​​​​​best of luck
pronichkin likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
The terms and conditions cited are not clear. They are legalese that “exceptions apply”. I could have read that paragraph 100 times and it would not tell me anything useful except what it says- that “it depends”.
It is extremely clear that restaurants that are not operated by the hotel do not qualify. It literally says that.

Had you (a) read the terms and (b) asked if the restaurant was operated by the hotel, you would not have been surprised with the outcome.

If you think that is clear- that’s great for you. And if you think asking a front desk agent about WOH rules is sufficient that’s great.
Had you read the terms, you would not have to ask about WoH rules. You would know that rules, and just have to ask of the restaurant is operated by the hotel. If you don't want to ask the FD (although, I guarantee you that they know this) you can ask at the restaurant.

What I believe is a far better is for Hyatt and or the property to BW upfront and provide the information in writing on their site. Period. That shouldn’t be so difficult for Hyatt and/or the property to do. Do you see a problem with that?
I would not necessarily trust a list of restaurants that are operated by a large chain of hotels (with different owners) to be up to date. But I do trust the particular hotel and the particular restaurant to know if the restaurant is operated by the hotel.

I’m kind of baffled as to why the same
person who celebrated the fact that WOH’s terms and conditions are supposedly clear wouldn’t welcome such clarity.
Again, the terms are clear. The issue is that (1) you didn't read them until after the fact, and (2) you didn't find out whether the hotel operated the restaurant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.