Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Are upgrades more available after the February 28th globalist expiration?

Are upgrades more available after the February 28th globalist expiration?

Old Mar 14, 2023, 9:48 am

Sort of related, one thing I've noticed dealing with this at various Hyatt's is that the way they internally describe a room in the front desk system (Opera) has absolutely no correlation with how they market the room. So you get into confusing conversations with the front desk trying to ask for something specific. The most recent example of this is at the Hyatt Times Square, a "1 King Bed High Floor Times Square View" is internally called a Deluxe King.

I think it's a legacy thing - in the days before direct online booking, terms like "Superior King" and "Executive Suite" actually had to mean something across the industry because that's how they'd show up in the GDS.
GUWonder and 59Impala like this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I just got an email from a property that "they would love to inform me that there won't be any Globalist suite upgrades available for my stay" - so I'm going to say no.
I've gotten a similar message twice in the last 30 days; once from the PHNY, and once from the HR Aruba. In both locations, I was upgraded to a better view, but not a suite. I'm assuming their goal is to manage expectations and stem off any bad blood at check-in. That HR Aruba stay was at the beginning of March, after the washout of the "Glob lites", so it didn't seem to matter.

I guess it remains to be seen for this coming year, but over the last few months -- at PHNY, HRAruba, Tempe Palms, HR Cleveland Arcade, GH Kauai, Hana Resort, Carmel Valley Ranch, HR Long Island, HH Orlando, and 50 Bowery -- I've received 2/10 suite upgrades (Tempe and Hana), despite suite availability at all except Kauai and PHNY. I will say that the Hana suite was a spectacular oceanfront cottage.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I just got an email from a property that "they would love to inform me that there won't be any Globalist suite upgrades available for my stay" - so I'm going to say no.
So I now see in the GH Berlin thread you have posted the full quote. Juuuuuust a bit different than what you posted originally in this thread that started the whole back and forth.

I would love to inform you that unfortunately we do not have a Globalist suite upgrade available anymore to allocate, but I would love to ask you if there is anything else we could prepare or arrange to value your Globalist status with us?
EuropeanPete and 59Impala like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So I now see in the GH Berlin thread you have posted the full quote. Juuuuuust a bit different than what you posted originally in this thread that started the whole back and forth.

I would love to inform you that unfortunately we do not have a Globalist suite upgrade available anymore to allocate, but I would love to ask you if there is anything else we could prepare or arrange to value your Globalist status with us?
Your insistence on trying to prove me wrong is ridiculous and obsessive. They are literally the same quote. Looking back at your post history, it's interesting how many of your posts are responses to me. I made a light-hearted jab at a translation in response to the OP's question and then clarified the full intentions of the email in post #5 (note that I still take issue with the premise of the email, and the promised "anything else" didn't even occur at the property).

Last edited by ElevatorEnthusiast; Mar 15, 2023 at 10:06 am Reason: changed "post#4" to "post#5"
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:05 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA

wow, the magic word „unfortunately“ was totally missing in the original quote of ElevatorEnthusiast . This completely changes the meaning of the email and is true customer service.
thanks for clarifying!
No way this is „the same quote“

They are literally the same quote.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 59Impala
true customer service.
This is the key point - given what is likely a short-term influx of Globalists the past couple years, plus the heavy rebound of travel past year or so, I'm sure most better full-service properties have lots of Globalists wondering "where's my suite" (which is totally fair, given that it is a specified benefit). So this hotel (and probably others out there) has this at the ready (and Berlin a good example, only Hyatt game in town, and not exactly awash in other luxury hotels either):
1. We would do a Suite if we could (we know it's a benefit) - but very sorry, they are sold out (easily verified)
2. Since we do value your loyalty, here are 3 other substitute benefits we can offer that go above and beyond (unsaid too you are still getting late check-out, free breakfast, etc. etc.) Parking in particular is a REALLY good benefit if you are on a paid rate.
3. We will still do our absolute best to upgrade you to best available room at check-in (again, easily verified)

I'm not sure what else we could ask a property to do.
59Impala likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
This is the key point - given what is likely a short-term influx of Globalists the past couple years, plus the heavy rebound of travel past year or so, I'm sure most better full-service properties have lots of Globalists wondering "where's my suite" (which is totally fair, given that it is a specified benefit). So this hotel (and probably others out there) has this at the ready (and Berlin a good example, only Hyatt game in town, and not exactly awash in other luxury hotels either):
1. We would do a Suite if we could (we know it's a benefit) - but very sorry, they are sold out (easily verified)
2. Since we do value your loyalty, here are 3 other substitute benefits we can offer that go above and beyond (unsaid too you are still getting late check-out, free breakfast, etc. etc.) Parking in particular is a REALLY good benefit if you are on a paid rate.
3. We will still do our absolute best to upgrade you to best available room at check-in (again, easily verified)

I'm not sure what else we could ask a property to do.
Sure, some people who love Hyatt will read the email differently than I did - I don't think the word "unfortunately" changes the meaning anyway as suites were available online when they sent the email (cue UA-NYC making some argument about how junior suites aren't suites). As I explained time and time again, they were selling junior suites online at the time of sending the email - how did they know those suites would be occupied when they sent the email? If so, they shouldn't have been selling them online. The property did not actually provide the replacement benefit that they offered via email anyway, so the point is relatively moot.

All I can say is that, as I mentioned in the review, I actually liked the Grand Hyatt, but the fanboyism in this forum is ridiculous - who knew that a simple tongue-in-cheek comment would elicit such a toxic reaction where people call me stupid and bring my intelligence into question? Why folks feel the need to go to bat for a corporation that doesn't care about them is something that I'll never understand.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, some people who love Hyatt will read the email differently than I did - I don't think the word "unfortunately" changes the meaning anyway as suites were available online when they sent the email (cue UA-NYC making some argument about how junior suites aren't suites). As I explained time and time again, they were selling junior suites online at the time of sending the email - how did they know those suites would be occupied when they sent the email? If so, they shouldn't have been selling them online. The property did not actually provide the replacement benefit that they offered via email anyway, so the point is relatively moot.
Not seeing many rush to your defense, but I guess we will see. APPARENTLY you just don't understand that with Hyatt, "Suites" are very much a thing (esp. Standard Suites, available w/ a TSU and advance confirmation...one of the most powerful benefits across any hotel program). THAT is what the hotel was trying to tell you. A Junior Suite, for most all properties, is a slightly bigger regular room, typically with a bigger sitting area or the like. The property was NOT telling you that none of these were available, no matter how hard you try to spin it. It's not complicated. And they were sold out when you checked in (as you noted). What's the problem then?

All I can say is that, as I mentioned in the review, I actually liked the Grand Hyatt, but the fanboyism in this forum is ridiculous - who knew that a simple tongue-in-cheek comment would elicit such a toxic reaction where people call me stupid and bring my intelligence into question? Why folks feel the need to go to bat for a corporation that doesn't care about them is something that I'll never understand.
Quite ironic, given the fanboyism you preach for Marriott, which is universally agreed to have gone in the tank across the board service-wise the past few years in particular. But I guess there's a hotel chain for everyone out there these days.
olouie likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:29 pm

Quite ironic, given the fanboyism you preach for Marriott, which is universally agreed to have gone in the tank across the board service-wise the past few years in particular. But I guess there's a hotel chain for everyone out there these days.
The difference is that I don't focus on attacking and picking apart posters, like yourself, who have a different opinion than me on Marriott. The amount of times I've been called stupid or have folks (in this case, not you) insinuate that I'm mentally ill is ridiculous - all because I don't like Hyatt as much as them - I like hotels and like sharing my experiences. If we can't pick fun at things, like bad translations, then I really don't understand...
Old Mar 15, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Just a point of clarification to my posts, if I say I was upgraded to a suite, I mean a full suite with a separate living room and bedroom with a door in between. Not a junior suite.

I don't consider a junior suite an upgrade to a suite. I'm getting upgraded to full suites and, quite often, specialty suites at a level as high if not more I think as Starwood.

If all I got was junior suites, I wouldn't be loyal to a program and I'd just buy suites straight off as a free agent. Hyatt saves me considerable money.

I've never stayed at a Hyatt in the US as far as I recall but would not expect much if anything. Starwood in us was terrible.

One other thing on upgrades, I also spend a lot of money on property eating. I tell gm since they're so nice about upgrading me to nice rooms, I'll try to make it up by spending more on dining in hotel.

I wonder if properties track non room spending
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 4:51 pm

No noticeable different pre Feb 28 and post Feb 28. I really do hate that more and more properties are labeling larger rooms without separate bedrooms/living spaces as suites. Not just Hyatt but across the hotel industry. I try and avoid those properties since the owners and management know exactly what they are doing.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:43 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by olouie
No noticeable different pre Feb 28 and post Feb 28. I really do hate that more and more properties are labeling larger rooms without separate bedrooms/living spaces as suites. Not just Hyatt but across the hotel industry. I try and avoid those properties since the owners and management know exactly what they are doing.
While labelling junior suites as "suites" is definitely an industry-wide disease, the PHNY is always the first one that comes to my mind.

Some people may call it ridiculous. but in my fantasy world, a US-based Traveller's Bill of Rights would not only require the the full price upfront inclusive of "destination" fees, but would also bar any hotel from calling something a "suite" if it doesn't have an enclosed, separate bedroom.
olouie likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.