Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Alila Bangsar Kuala Lumpur REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Breakfast Buffet @ MYR58 (Botanica + Co) - Did not earn points as my rate did not include breakfast.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 26, 2023, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold

Has anyone stayed here that can comment on whether or not it was a positive experience? It's cheap on both cash and points (Cat 1), and TA reviews seem somewhat mixed due to a dirty pool, which sounds like it's being renovated (odd since this seems to be a new building) and multiple elevators to get to room floors (wouldn't bother me).

Any experiences or opinions?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Has anyone stayed here that can comment on whether or not it was a positive experience? It's cheap on both cash and points (Cat 1), and TA reviews seem somewhat mixed due to a dirty pool, which sounds like it's being renovated (odd since this seems to be a new building) and multiple elevators to get to room floors (wouldn't bother me).

Any experiences or opinions?
Only good for a badge pickup. You would be much happier at the GH, I believe.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
Only good for a badge pickup. You would be much happier at the GH, I believe.
Aventine Thanks, and yes, that would be my goal as I don't see myself staying at any other Alila properties anytime soon. I have an extra night in KLL from a late-evening arrival where I'm trying to decide between the Element, GH, Alila, JW, or Ritz. I would pick the GH due to positive reviews and use points, but the redemption value now is only about 1.9 CPP. The GH does get good reviews, though, so perhaps I should pay cash.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:36 am

Is this a layover at KUL? Or would you be moving over from a different hotel?
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Is this a layover at KUL? Or would you be moving over from a different hotel?
An arrival from Bangkok scheduled to land around 5:30 PM. The next day, I'll be heading to the W and will be spending about a week in Kuala Lumpur.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I stayed pre-COVID and the hotel was quite nice IMO. Yes the GH is better, but it costs more than 2-3x more using points or cash.

For a one-nighter this hotel is also more convenient on public transport. The train to Sentral then the Skytrain thing a few stops to the hotel.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
I stayed a few months ago on a one-nighter and thought it was very serviceable. In a different part of the world it might be considered an incredibly premium property, but coming from the GH KL (regular room), I thought it was merely ok (despite being in a suite). For example, the room decor is somewhat spartan and drab (IMHO) and the breakfast was rather middling (set menu served at ground floor restaurant, juice not cold, pastries not fresh, etc.). Location is good though: adjacent to a Metro station and connected via a covered and elevated walkway.

Another interesting thing is the elevators: because it occupies the top of a mixed use tower, you have to take up to three different elevators in opposing directions to exit, or at least I did. The first from your room floor to the hotel lobby on the top floor, the second from the hotel lobby to the building lobby on the ground floor, and the third from the ground floor up to the elevated walkway for the station. In combination with elevator times and the lengthy walk, I budgeted an extra 5-10 minutes to exit. Probably not strange to folks who regularly live in a high-rise residential tower, but it was my first time. Excellent views of course.

Other notes: staff was warm and accommodating, rooftop pool looked quite neat, no coffee machines in room but there's a commercial-grade push-button espresso/latte machine at the elevator lobby of each floor along with some light snacks and water.

Overall positive experience, just not as strongly positive as the GH. Would stay again, but only if the rate was commensurate and appealing.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I stayed a few months ago on a one-nighter and thought it was very serviceable. In a different part of the world it might be considered an incredibly premium property, but coming from the GH KL (regular room), I thought it was merely ok (despite being in a suite). For example, the room decor is somewhat spartan and drab (IMHO) and the breakfast was rather middling (set menu served at ground floor restaurant, juice not cold, pastries not fresh, etc.). Location is good though: adjacent to a Metro station and connected via a covered and elevated walkway.

Another interesting thing is the elevators: because it occupies the top of a mixed use tower, you have to take up to three different elevators in opposing directions to exit, or at least I did. The first from your room floor to the hotel lobby on the top floor, the second from the hotel lobby to the building lobby on the ground floor, and the third from the ground floor up to the elevated walkway for the station. In combination with elevator times and the lengthy walk, I budgeted an extra 5-10 minutes to exit. Probably not strange to folks who regularly live in a high-rise residential tower, but it was my first time. Excellent views of course.

Other notes: staff was warm and accommodating, rooftop pool looked quite neat, no coffee machines in room but there's a commercial-grade push-button espresso/latte machine at the elevator lobby of each floor along with some light snacks and water.

Overall positive experience, just not as strongly positive as the GH. Would stay again, but only if the rate was commensurate and appealing.
Thanks for the thorough review - this is helpful! I was especially curious about the breakfast quality, and this isn't reassuring (what can you expect for $80 USD, after all?).
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:49 pm

Thanks for the thorough review - this is helpful! I was especially curious about the breakfast quality, and this isn't reassuring (what can you expect for $80 USD, after all?).
You're welcome. Actually I think those kinds of rates can get you a lot in that part of the world, but I see what you mean.

In a way, it might not be a bad choice. KL is certainly vibrant enough to spend the whole day out eating and exploring, and then the Alila can be a place for sleeping and relaxing (just not eating). An "issue" with the GH was that it was so nice that I don't think I left the entire time I was there. I was also jetlagged.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Personally I really enjoyed the Alila Bangsar KL. It was one of my favorite hotel experiences of 2022. I stayed for 4 nights.

The staff were excellent, and I enjoyed the breakfast a lot. The pool area was also enjoyable. As a Globalist, I was upgraded to the Bangsar Suite without having to burn any SUAs. The experience was very nice, especially at the Cat 1 price point. I did not stay at the GH KL, so I don't have a point of comparison within KL.

I will agree with the annoying elevators though. And I also agree that you'll want to spend time exploring KL as this Alila isn't meant for staying in.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:45 pm

An arrival from Bangkok scheduled to land around 5:30 PM. The next day, I'll be heading to the W and will be spending about a week in Kuala Lumpur.
Oh ok. I mean it's more than serviceable as a single night "stopover" on the way to KLCC. You could even take the light rail between hotels (assuming your bags are easily carried). I would still take grab from the airport...should be faster and not much more than the express train.

(what can you expect for $80 USD, after all?)
Well you can get a pretty fantastic breakfast for $3 USD in KL so...
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:18 pm

Stayed here a few nights over the new year holiday. Very nice property at the price point. No upgrades as hotel was full. Pool was beautiful but cold due to location and shadow. Service at pool was poor. Called on phone at the unstaffed bar and they took almost an hour to bring one beer. Breakfast was nice but nothing special. Location next to metro was nice. Nearby area doesn’t have too much to do but the price is right.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by milesforhire
Personally I really enjoyed the Alila Bangsar KL. It was one of my favorite hotel experiences of 2022. I stayed for 4 nights.

The staff were excellent, and I enjoyed the breakfast a lot. The pool area was also enjoyable. As a Globalist, I was upgraded to the Bangsar Suite without having to burn any SUAs. The experience was very nice, especially at the Cat 1 price point. I did not stay at the GH KL, so I don't have a point of comparison within KL.

I will agree with the annoying elevators though. And I also agree that you'll want to spend time exploring KL as this Alila isn't meant for staying in.
I like this take and agree with it; I think it's possible the only difference is I was at the GH first.

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
[...] Well you can get a pretty fantastic breakfast for $3 USD in KL so...
Hear hear!
milesforhire likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I was here for two nights near CNY (late January). Restaurant was closed for dinner, but they did have room service. Breakfast was OK but no more than that. Overall, worth it for the badge (unless you plan to stay at another Alila) - but I don't plan to ever go back.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Aventine Thanks, and yes, that would be my goal as I don't see myself staying at any other Alila properties anytime soon. I have an extra night in KLL from a late-evening arrival where I'm trying to decide between the Element, GH, Alila, JW, or Ritz. I would pick the GH due to positive reviews and use points, but the redemption value now is only about 1.9 CPP. The GH does get good reviews, though, so perhaps I should pay cash.
I haven't stayed at this Alila but Alila might be my favorite brand at Hyatt aside from PH. I hope you explore other Alilas as you might end up liking Hyatt more generally and understand why some of us like it more than Marriott where you've gotten great customer service. Go for a good one for your explorer badge.

A good Alila is incredible. All the ones I've stayed at have been amazing, though there are some weak, cheaper ones in Malaysia/ Indonesia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.