Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Just missed Globalist 2 ways - any options?

Old Jan 4, 2023, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP

I'm afraid I will be stuck at 57 nights for 2022. I got the Biz card with the double nights promo and kept expecting them to post, but since they came in batches of 5 nights due to a couple of 5 night trips (where I switched hotels and even skipped a night at another brand incidentally) and said "Chase" on the detail line, I confused those with the 5 night credit for every 10K spent on the Chase Biz card. - and I got at least one of those too. I then assumed I had just passed another $10K spend threshold with the last 5 nights credit (and therefore stopped spending on that card for the remainder of Dec 2022, but turns out after a deeper dive I only spent about $19700 on that card during the year, just barely missing 5 more nights.

Still I should have been OK, as I booked a reward stay for 3 nights to get me to 60 in Tulsa for Dec 28-31. Problem is, due to weather, schedules, flight costs, SWA fiasco, etc, I later created a new reservation for another night from Dec 31-Jan 1. Then the hotel sent all 4 of those nights to Hyatt at once and they credited all 4 in 2023- I messaged the help desk and they refused to re-allocate the nights. Instead I had 4 nights sitting in 2023 before we were even 2 nights into the year, so odd...

Is there any relief I can get here for reconsideration? Or is there any chance that Chase will still double the 3 nights I stayed from Dec 28-31 and credit those into 2022?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I'm afraid I will be stuck at 57 nights for 2022. I got the Biz card with the double nights promo and kept expecting them to post, but since they came in batches of 5 nights due to a couple of 5 night trips (where I switched hotels and even skipped a night at another brand incidentally) and said "Chase" on the detail line, I confused those with the 5 night credit for every 10K spent on the Chase Biz card. - and I got at least one of those too. I then assumed I had just passed another $10K spend threshold with the last 5 nights credit (and therefore stopped spending on that card for the remainder of Dec 2022, but turns out after a deeper dive I only spent about $19700 on that card during the year, just barely missing 5 more nights.

Still I should have been OK, as I booked a reward stay for 3 nights to get me to 60 in Tulsa for Dec 28-31. Problem is, due to weather, schedules, flight costs, SWA fiasco, etc, I later created a new reservation for another night from Dec 31-Jan 1. Then the hotel sent all 4 of those nights to Hyatt at once and they credited all 4 in 2023- I messaged the help desk and they refused to re-allocate the nights. Instead I had 4 nights sitting in 2023 before we were even 2 nights into the year, so odd...

Is there any relief I can get here for reconsideration? Or is there any chance that Chase will still double the 3 nights I stayed from Dec 28-31 and credit those into 2022?
It is unlikely they’re going to do anything to help you in this situation. Back to back reservations are treated as a single stay and all nights will post based on the check out date.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
WOH goes by check out date to determine in which year nights are credited. By adding the night of the 31st to your existing reservation you caused the entire stay to be allocated to 2023. Some people do this intentionally so that nights from the previous year get credited to the next year and they then have a head start on requalification. There are a number of threads that discuss this.
Here is the most recent:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...qn-2022-a.html

While years ago they would sometimes split the nights up, I can't say that I've seen many reports of this in recent years. All you can do is ask and see if you can find a sympathetic rep.

You would have been better off to stay somewhere else or to book that one night stay on the 31st in someone else's name.
Kacee, bbbb and SacTownGuy like this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Send a polite email to [email protected] explaining that your Dec. 28-31 trip would have given you 60 nights, but it was extended by a day due to weather and all four nights were credited to 2023, which is causing you to miss Globalist by 3 nights. You might have to escalate a time or two or mail a letter to the CEO.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
Send a polite email to [email protected] explaining that your Dec. 28-31 trip would have given you 60 nights, but it was extended by a day due to weather and all four nights were credited to 2023, which is causing you to miss Globalist by 3 nights. You might have to escalate a time or two or mail a letter to the CEO.
mail a letter to the ceo?!?!
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Seagull689
mail a letter to the ceo?!?!
People write letters to the CEO for a lot less.

Unfortunately, frontline reps are increasingly wrong and/or useless, at Hyatt and just about everywhere else.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:01 am

Don't forget going through Twitter. A lot of companies are extremely responsive when contacted there.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
You’ll get a response however you choose to contact but I don’t think you’ll get the result you’re looking for. You needed to check out on the 31st.

for the future, if you have to stay in town for another night, stay somewhere else for the additional night.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by wrldwide1
You’ll get a response however you choose to contact but I don’t think you’ll get the result you’re looking for. You needed to check out on the 31st.

for the future, if you have to stay in town for another night, stay somewhere else for the additional night.
The bolded part shows how insane the non-bolded part would be. No sane "loyalty program" essentially forces a customer to spend money with a competitor because of some technicality buried deep in T&Cs.
bbriscoe34 and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bolded part shows how insane the non-bolded part would be. No sane "loyalty program" essentially forces a customer to spend money with a competitor because of some technicality buried deep in T&Cs.
No reason it has to be a competitor, it could be another Hyatt family property. For example, in Tulsa the HR and HP are a couple of blocks apart. A lot of us in the hotel forums hotel hop when quarterly promotions provide benefits based upon each stay at a different hotel and also a number of people use this policy relating to the years nights credit to allocate multiple nights stayed in the old year to the new year. In any event, Hilton is just as insane as they also lump separate stays at the same property together and credit stays including 31DEC to the new year.

Playing the points and status games we all do means playing by the rules set by the hotels and airline companies, no matter how insane or irrational they might seem to be. When you don't follow their rules, then a person is asking for a waiver or favor, and while those often used to be easily granted years ago, now, not so much.

In any event I think it is worth the OP's time to ask again and politely ask for an exception and explain the circumstances that caused these three nights to be allocated to 2023. But I don't think whether this Hyatt policy is insane will be helpful to the OP in asking for an exception.
MasterPlanner likes this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jan 5, 2023 at 7:39 pm
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No reason it has to be a competitor, it could be another Hyatt family property. For example, in Tulsa the HR and HP are a couple of blocks apart. A lot of us in the hotel forums hotel hop when quarterly promotions provide benefits based upon each stay at a different hotel and also a number of people use this policy relating to the years nights credit to allocate multiple nights stayed in the old year to the new year. In any event, Hilton is just as insane as they also lump separate stays at the same property together and credit stays including 31DEC to the new year.

Playing the points and status games we all do means playing by the rules set by the hotels and airline companies, no matter how insane or irrational they might seem to be. When you don't follow their rules, then a person is asking for a waiver or favor, and while those often used to be easily granted years ago, now, not so much.

In any event I think it is worth the OP's time to ask again and politely ask for an exception and explain the circumstances that caused these three nights to be allocated to 2023. But I don't think whether this Hyatt policy is insane will be helpful to the OP in asking for an exception.
You're right as a general matter, but the average person simply looks at Hyatt.com, sees that Globalist requires 60 nights, and goes from there. The idea that a Dec. 1 to Jan. 1 stay would count as 0 nights in 2022 and 31 nights in 2023 would seem utterly absurd to anyone who hasn't been bitten by this little quirk himself, and the people at Hyatt should know that and make commonsense adjustments when requested.
milesforhire, agjil and luvFclass like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right as a general matter, but the average person simply looks at Hyatt.com, sees that Globalist requires 60 nights, and goes from there. The idea that a Dec. 1 to Jan. 1 stay would count as 0 nights in 2022 and 31 nights in 2023 would seem utterly absurd to anyone who hasn't been bitten by this little quirk himself, and the people at Hyatt should know that and make commonsense adjustments when requested.
I would somewhat agree if the person asking was brand new to the points game and to Hyatt in particular. But it seems the OP has been around FT and a Hyatt member for at least a few years and appears to have been previously advised regarding 31DEC stays crediting to the new year.

Also, we don't know if any of the OP's 2022 nights might have been from a stay in DEC21 that included 31DEC21 and were credited to 2022. It's possible that the OP might have benefited from this policy at the beginning of this year. If the OP didn't have any nights from 31DEC21 carry into 2022, then imo OP would have a stronger argument in asking for a waiver or favor. If the OP did have any 31DEC21 nights credit to 2022, then a Hyatt rep that closely examines the OP's account might notice this and deny an exception.

Hopefully, the OP will return and let us know how it all comes out. Also there is another wild card here, as the OP was also receiving 2x from the business card promotion; the OP should probably go back and check that all 2x nights have been received.
js1993 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34

I think you’re SOL. I would’ve definitely moved hotels either to another Hyatt in Tulsa which there are 2 others or to another brand as that last night pushes all nights to 2023.

If you had enrolled in the Globalist retention offer or quick qualify promo you’d have until 2/28 to stay 20 nights to earn Globalist through 2/29/24.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I would somewhat agree if the person asking was brand new to the points game and to Hyatt in particular. But it seems the OP has been around FT and a Hyatt member for at least a few years and appears to have been previously advised regarding 31DEC stays crediting to the new year.
Yes, I did know about the 12/31 check out (and no, I was staying at home on NYE of 2021 and had Covid, so no carryover from prior year). What I didn't know what that a 2nd stay beginning on 12/31 would automatically merge with the prior one and invalidate the nights from 12/28 to 12/30- for 2022.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Don't forget going through Twitter. A lot of companies are extremely responsive when contacted there.
how do I best contact them on twitter? Is there a DM feature to do I just make a public post on their front page for everyone to laugh at?

(sorry, I'm not that big on twitter and don't know how to do more than read someone else's comments)

Last edited by bbriscoe34; Jan 9, 2023 at 9:29 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.