Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Recent DPs in Extending or Converting Expired Awards (2022 onward)

Recent DPs in Extending or Converting Expired Awards (2022 onward)

Old Jun 18, 2024, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair warning to all - i got no no and no from chat, concierge and glob phone - a rather expensive cat 1-7 oops. YMMV
nsx and pbd456 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
Fair warning to all - i got no no and no from chat, concierge and glob phone - a rather expensive cat 1-7 oops. YMMV
No to points compensation for expired Cat 1-7? Did you ask before or after the expiration date?
Old Jun 26, 2024, 1:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pbd456
Ask them to exchange it to points or ask for point compensation? Thank you. I got 10k via Twitter last time without any problem. I thought it was supposed to be easy.
In 2024 with the new changes there should be no excuse for an expired certificate is the way Hyatt sees it and likely why they are discontinuing offering points compensation for expired certificates.

You can use it at a lower Category property, gift it to a friend/family member or trade it to someone else for a different certificate (either a Category 1-4 with later expiration, GOH certificates, Suite Upgrade Awards or even trade (2) Category 1-4s for a Category 1-7).

With so many viable options now available that werent there before its likely Hyatt sees no valid reason to offer points.

I see people even happy to accept a certificate only a few days until expiration in trade, so even if its getting very close to the expiry date you still have options.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 12:11 pm
soy
Original Poster

Programs: various
Originally Posted by azepine00
DP - After you posted this, I managed to get 20k for an expired C7. Hard no using Chat, but Glob line worked. That said, I think the door is definitely closing on this
Old Jun 26, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by soy
DP - After you posted this, I managed to get 20k for an expired C7. Hard no using Chat, but Glob line worked. That said, I think the door is definitely closing on this
propably not worth risking it anymore, easier to trade/gift certs before they expire to maximize value
Old Jun 26, 2024, 8:16 pm
Original Member

I just had a similar experience to Soy. My Cat 1-7 recently expired. I called based on Soy's post. They exchanged the expired cert for 20k points. They did emphasise this was a one time exemption but I did walk away from the call with the sentiment as well that the door is closing on this.
soy likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 6:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
I called about mine today and spoke to Chase and Hyatt and there was nothing either could do about mine that expires. Hyatt has really went downhill in terms of service and redemption based on points and awards. I may try back after it expires.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 6:37 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Vip4me
I called about mine today and spoke to Chase and Hyatt and there was nothing either could do about mine that expires. Hyatt has really went downhill in terms of service and redemption based on points and awards. I may try back after it expires.
I don't think the certificates tied to the Chase card (i.e. one free night per year certificate by having the Chase card) have ever been convertible to points but only those earned through the Hyatt program and the milestone awards.
TerryK likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 6:38 pm
soy
Original Poster

Programs: various
No chance to get anything for Chase certs. Apart from a brief period in the height of covid, this only worked for Hyatt issued certs
Suggest you try trading it or else just use it for a mattress run to at least get a stay credit
Old Jun 27, 2024, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by leroy11
I don't think the certificates tied to the Chase card (i.e. one free night per year certificate by having the Chase card) have ever been convertible to points but only those earned through the Hyatt program and the milestone awards.

Hyatt made a one time exception during the pandemic and people believed that would continue. The old give them an inch and theyll take a mile.

If you have a Chase certificate expiring soon best bet is to trade it via a Hyatt Group, use it for a sub-optimal stay or gift it to a friend/family member.

For non-Chase certificates there seems to b a small window right now for 10k points compensation, but it has been emphasized by Hyatt reps that this window is closing.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by soy
No chance to get anything for Chase certs. Apart from a brief period in the height of covid, this only worked for Hyatt issued certs
Suggest you try trading it or else just use it for a mattress run to at least get a stay credit
Chase awards have never generally not been eligible for any points "compensation" after expiration. Use it or lose it.

For non-Chase issued free night awards, the rule of thumb is 10k for Cat1-4 and 20k for Cat1-7. The reps will always caveat that it's an exception, goodwill gesture, don't rely on getting it again in future, etc. etc. None of that has changed.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Chase awards have never generally not been eligible for any points "compensation" after expiration. Use it or lose it.

For non-Chase issued free night awards, the rule of thumb is 10k for Cat1-4 and 20k for Cat1-7. The reps will always caveat that it's an exception, goodwill gesture, don't rely on getting it again in future, etc. etc. None of that has changed.
A lot of indicators it may be no longer possible soon, we will see. This has always been more of a goodwill gesture than a policy.

Question for you then -

Should Globalists receive 10k/20k for Category 1-4 or 1-7 certificates they received as gifts that expired?

For me I think this one caveat would be a driving factor in ending the goodwill gesture of points for expired Category Certificates.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
It has changed.
It used to be an "exception" but it was an exception every call chat or concierge agent was willing to make. Not the case ime right now. Of course with luck or a few huca you may get a sympathetic one - ymmv of course.
soy likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 12:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Had a Cat 1-4 FNA expiring yesterday.
Got the usual 10k points todays without any mention it may be no longer possible in the future…?
Old Jul 5, 2024, 1:42 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
Had a Cat 1-4 FNA expiring yesterday.
Got the usual 10k points todays without any mention it may be no longer possible in the future?
very much a YMMV and HUCA situation now 😀 may work for those willing to take the risk for some time, till it doesnt 😀

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.