FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Globalist Booking for Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2104850-globalist-booking-guest.html)

timjohn12 Dec 20, 2022 4:58 pm

Globalist Booking for Guest

I am a globalist looking to book a property for a friend in Asia. I might/might not be able to make the trip myself. I understand that I can simply do a GoH booking, however, I would not get any qualifying nights for next year that way.

Is it possible to book under my name, and then add him as an additional guest?

Thanks!

antonius66 Dec 20, 2022 5:09 pm

No.This is a violation of the rules of the program and in Asia especially will most likely get caught as they are far more rigorous about following rules. You will of course find people who tell you you can freely break the rules and get away with it.

josephstern Dec 20, 2022 10:59 pm

Just book it for you, and if you can't make it, transfer it to him as GoH at the last minute. There's no timeline for that - I'm pretty sure you can even do it the day of check-in.

Matt4200 Dec 20, 2022 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 34851916)
Just book it for you, and if you can't make it, transfer it to him as GoH at the last minute. There's no timeline for that - I'm pretty sure you can even do it the day of check-in.

It would be an entirely different reservation, meaning cancellation window is important so having someone else show up in your place and asking to change it to GOH last minute won’t fly, especially in Asia.

If I were the hotel owner or basically any hotel owner with common sense would say you’re SOL. They’d collect the 1 night fee which is cash, not points at a minimum, some properties it may be more than the cost of one night. They then don’t have to provide any points, benefits or anything.

Why risk any of that?

And worst of all having your guest stuck with no reservation and having to make last second plans.

timjohn12 Dec 20, 2022 11:54 pm

But what's the harm in just adding him as an additional guest? Isn't that allowed?

Matt4200 Dec 21, 2022 12:15 am

Originally Posted by timjohn12 (Post 34852003)
But what's the harm in just adding him as an additional guest? Isn't that allowed?

Additional meaning in addition to the original guest? Nothing, as long as the original guest is present.

Sounds like you want your cake and to eat it too.

There May be a few select properties in the US that would indulge you and play these games, but Asia not so much.

If you don’t show up and they tell your “additional guest” that they cannot check in without you and you end up paying a late cancellation fee are you okay with that?

Seems to me the risk is significantly greater than the potential reward of a couple EQN’s.

m0hamed Dec 21, 2022 1:16 am

Many Asian properties will ask for passports at check in. If the other guest is arriving later, they will insist they register with front desk.

DltaSchmlta Dec 21, 2022 3:58 am

Book as GOH. If you are able to make it ask front desk to put your WOH number on reservation and give credit to you.

tigerwong Dec 21, 2022 8:01 am

Be careful with this route. I had a situation where there was no more award inventory when I decided to switch an award reservation to a GoH booking. I was told I should not risk it since I would need cancel and rebook as GoH.

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 34851916)

xooz Dec 21, 2022 9:01 am

Originally Posted by tigerwong (Post 34852765)
Be careful with this route. I had a situation where there was no more award inventory when I decided to switch an award reservation to a GoH booking. I was told I should not risk it since I would need cancel and rebook as GoH.

I have done this a couple of times with no issue via Concierge, though it is possible that award availability existed. I did have one issue that the Concierge fixed for me where I booked 2 rooms far in advance and called to change one to GOH. In the interim the Category had changed and my Concierge rebooked the room at the new rate and rounded up my points balance to give me the extra points for the re-booking. I was a) surprised and b) very pleased!

josephstern Dec 21, 2022 11:18 am

Originally Posted by tigerwong (Post 34852765)

I've done many, many GoH bookings and I'm certain some had no inventory when I made the change as I usually wait until the last minute in case my guest decides to cancel. I've never heard of this being an issue at all.

Ilove2fly Dec 21, 2022 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by xooz (Post 34852959)
I have done this a couple of times with no issue via Concierge, though it is possible that award availability existed. I did have one issue that the Concierge fixed for me where I booked 2 rooms far in advance and called to change one to GOH. In the interim the Category had changed and my Concierge rebooked the room at the new rate and rounded up my points balance to give me the extra points for the re-booking. I was a) surprised and b) very pleased!

You were lucky. My Concierge told me I had to pay the additional points to make the change.

josephstern Dec 21, 2022 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly (Post 34854226)
You were lucky. My Concierge told me I had to pay the additional points to make the change.

That's interesting. On my last GoH just a few weeks ago, at the end I noticed 9K points were gone from my account. I called back and whoever answered fixed it for me.

So maybe there are a few ways for agents to handle this and one way involves rebooking but the other doesn't?

xooz Dec 22, 2022 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly (Post 34854226)

I guess... I would have just let the reservation stay as is rather than pay more to convert to GOH. Still possible to get some perks onsite for the second room.

Cara332 Dec 22, 2022 6:59 pm

I have a similar question--I'm a Globalist and will be traveling together with my mom (will lose Globalist status Feb 28 2023). She has free night awards that she plans to use--is it possible to get the stay credited to my WoH account? She has no chance of making 60 and these would help me get there.