Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt to Acquire Dream Hotel Group

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt to Acquire Dream Hotel Group

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by McChicken
I stayed at the Chatwal once and got a pretty generous suite upgrade as a lowly Titanium member… It was a pretty memorable stay! Hopefully under Hyatt service levels and recognition will be good as well!
If a TSU can be applied to a full suite, it will be a huge improvement over Marriott for me
Old Dec 1, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Yes, Hyatt continues to expand in a country that most of the world can't currently travel to and has stated their intention to remain closed off to the world for the foreseeable future. Hyatt should increase focus on the rest of the world where more folks can actually visit.
In general I agree, but based on the timelines for hotel openings, isn’t it fair to say that most of the growth in China was planned well before Covid restrictions? How many new projects / builds have been announced in the past year or so vs pre 2020 when China did seem to be their primary focus for growth?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by IggySD
In general I agree, but based on the timelines for hotel openings, isn’t it fair to say that most of the growth in China was planned well before Covid restrictions? How many new projects / builds have been announced in the past year or so vs pre 2020 when China did seem to be their primary focus for growth?
I mean, serious question, I haven't seen any new development or announcements for HR, GH, or PH outside of China, except for HR SLC and HR London Blackfriars. Now, I'm not the most up-to-date on development news, but the fact that I can't think of anything else seems like it should say something. Hyatt can expand on China all they want, but they should also be expanding in their core brands outside of China.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Hyatt only has 135 properties in mainland China vs 780 in US. Marriott has around 60 properties in Shanghai alone (my Marriott app not working again so I can't get exact number for you).

Until covid mess, 1.4 billion of us living here we're traveling like crazy and need more properties. People in US complain of difficulty of requalifing for globalist in us, imagine what it's like here.

It's easy for Marriott in China ad they have a ton of properties. Hyatt needs to focus growth on China where it is far too slow. Most of recent acquisitions help us based people. Pace of growth is too low in China which is a less mature market
Old Dec 1, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Hyatt only has 135 properties in mainland China vs 780 in US. Marriott has around 60 properties in Shanghai alone (my Marriott app not working again so I can't get exact number for you).

Until covid mess, 1.4 billion of us living here we're traveling like crazy and need more properties. People in US complain of difficulty of requalifing for globalist in us, imagine what it's like here.

It's easy for Marriott in China ad they have a ton of properties. Hyatt needs to focus growth on China where it is far too slow. Most of recent acquisitions help us based people. Pace of growth is too low in China which is a less mature market
I mean, of course, Hyatt has more properties in its home country than it does in China. Again, though, my point is that Hyatt needs to expand its core brands across the globe, not just in China and not just in the US. Instead, we have core brand expansion solely focused on China and dumb micro-brand expansion elsewhere. A significant reason as to why I'm deprioritizing Hyatt in 2023 is their lack of properties globally in locations I want to travel to outside of the US. If you think China is low on Hyatts, you should look at Europe, Canada, etc.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
So, I have mixed opinions on the acquisitions. The result seems to be piling up hotels in a few cities (e.g. 5 of the 12 already open seem to be in NYC) rather than building out some breadth. On the other hand, having some non-HP/HH places in some of these cities is a nice change.

That being said, I'm hopeful that these will be in the same bucket as HRs and so on rather than the sorts of high-end/all-inclusive properties that showed up in the prior (mostly-pointless-to-me) acquisitions.

[I'd also kind-of like some expansions in the UK that aren't in the "high end boutique" bucket. The SLH-type hotels really don't "fit" with the sort of places I'd be inclined to stay.]

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Dec 1, 2022 at 9:12 pm
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm posting this as a separate post because it's been a few weeks, but there's something I'm genuinely curious about: Why isn't Hyatt moving to consolidate some of these brands? They might down the line, I guess, but it feels like 11 resort brands (9 under "inclusive" plus Mirival and Alila) seems a bit excessive (especially since IIRC a few of the brands are quite small). For example, I'm not sure why Secrets and Breathless aren't just being merged with Zilara.

[And to think, I remember when Hyatt only had ten brands, and that to get the second Brand Explorer FNA you'd have to stay at Ziva or Zilara because without one or the other you were going to be "stuck" at 9 brands...]
Old Dec 14, 2022, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm posting this as a separate post because it's been a few weeks, but there's something I'm genuinely curious about: Why isn't Hyatt moving to consolidate some of these brands? They might down the line, I guess, but it feels like 11 resort brands (9 under "inclusive" plus Mirival and Alila) seems a bit excessive (especially since IIRC a few of the brands are quite small). For example, I'm not sure why Secrets and Breathless aren't just being merged with Zilara.

[And to think, I remember when Hyatt only [i]had ten brands, and that to get the second Brand Explorer FNA you'd have to stay at Ziva or Zilara because without one or the other you were going to be "stuck" at 9 brands...]
You write this as if it's an original thought. And if you scroll up, you'll see my comment copied below that goes contrary to your point got 11 likes.

"I don't really see the problem with adding more brands to the Hyatt portfolio. It means more chances to get the "Brand Explorer" free night, and a hotel to earn/redeem Hyatt points is a hotel to earn/redeem Hyatt points."
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson

[And to think, I remember when Hyatt only [i]had ten brands, and that to get the second Brand Explorer FNA you'd have to stay at Ziva or Zilara because without one or the other you were going to be "stuck" at 9 brands...]
Originally Posted by Daftryan
You write this as if it's an original thought. And if you scroll up, you'll see my comment copied below that goes contrary to your point got 11 likes.

"I don't really see the problem with adding more brands to the Hyatt portfolio. It means more chances to get the "Brand Explorer" free night, and a hotel to earn/redeem Hyatt points is a hotel to earn/redeem Hyatt points."
Another consideration is that hotels sign franchise and management agreements with specific brands. If the brand owner wants to get eliminate or consolidate the brand, often the hotel will have the option to terminate the franchise/management agreement, which the brand owner of course does not want. Think about it - has a single brand been eliminated in any hotel merger the past few decades?
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I mean, serious question, I haven't seen any new development or announcements for HR, GH, or PH outside of China, except for HR SLC and HR London Blackfriars. Now, I'm not the most up-to-date on development news, but the fact that I can't think of anything else seems like it should say something. Hyatt can expand on China all they want, but they should also be expanding in their core brands outside of China.
Only one I can think of off the top of my head is PH Joburg but that’s not a new build. Again, don’t necessarily disagree with your thoughts as to where they should grow, I just don’t see how they can be blamed for building in a country with travel restrictions when those restrictions weren’t in place when they planned the builds. Have there been additional announcements of China properties since COVID? If so then I completely agree with you, however my impression is there hasn’t been much announced lately anywhere.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:29 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Think about it - has a single brand been eliminated in any hotel merger the past few decades?
Amerisuites was eliminated, and the hotels forced to rebrand (and significantly upgrade the properties) to Hyatt Place.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Beckles
Amerisuites was eliminated, and the hotels forced to rebrand (and significantly upgrade the properties) to Hyatt Place.
The key difference there is that Hyatt bought the Amerisuites brand and underlying hotels, rebranded them all, and then sold off the hotels. So in that case, they actually owned the properties. Hyatt isn't buying hotels here, only the brand.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
Reading some of these posts here you'd think theyd prefer hyatt open up 500 more hyatt places instead
I certainly would! That would get me to stay at Hyatt more
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 12:03 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by avogadro
I agree.

I visited the Dream Hollywood when I stayed at the Thompson Hollywood. It seemed comparable to the Thompson.

Oddly, there will now be three Hyatts within a block of each other: Tommy, Thompson, and Dream.
Not unlike IHG has 3 properties within a block in Paris - IC, Kimpton, and Indigo.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:26 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Acquisition completed yesterday; Dream will join as a standalone brand in the Boundless Collection alongside the likes of Alila, Thompson and Hyatt Centric, while The Chatwal and The Time hotels will be folded into Unbound, and Unscripted into JdV.

As of now, only The Chatwal NYC has joined WOH, and basic websites have gone up for Dream Downtown NY and Dream Nashville. More info and timelines about the other properties becoming participating coming later.

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.