Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

2 additional nights needed for Explorist - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist

I知 currently a Hyatt Globalist and will be short a couple of nights by 12/31 to qualify for Hyatt Explorist.

A couple of nights would cost around $150-$200 at local Hyatts using day stays, but I知 honestly not really seeing a lot of benefits of attaining Explorist.

Questions:
- Do daytime stays (OFFICE offer code) still count for night stays?
- Is it worth spending $150-200 to achieve Explorist?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:30 pm

You値l also get a cat 1-4 award when hitting Explorist. If you think you will use that award within 6 months at a very expensive hotel, maybe it痴 worth spending $400 for a mattress run.

I feel like it is probably not worth it though.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
It's not worth it to constantly chase status.

HOWEVER, if you are naturally staying in hotels around the nights needed to qualify or if you think you'll be traveling to places with Hyatt more often next year, then it may be worth going for the 2 extra nights (or spend an extra 5k on the credit card)
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samplat
I知 currently a Hyatt Globalist and will be short a couple of nights by 12/31 to qualify for Hyatt Explorist.

A couple of nights would cost around $150-$200 at local Hyatts using day stays, but I知 honestly not really seeing a lot of benefits of attaining Explorist.

Questions:
- Do daytime stays (OFFICE offer code) still count for night stays?
- Is it worth spending $150-200 to achieve Explorist?

Thanks in advance!
The Category 1-4 Certificate that comes with Explorist is worth it alone.

You also get matched MGM Gold status which is very worthwhile.

Originally Posted by SP03
It's not worth it to constantly chase status.

HOWEVER, if you are naturally staying in hotels around the nights needed to qualify or if you think you'll be traveling to places with Hyatt more often next year, then it may be worth going for the 2 extra nights (or spend an extra 5k on the credit card)
I would say YMMV -

I chased and will spend roughly $1,800 extra this year to maintain Globalist.

In 2023 I have 1 single stay where I am using a TSU for 6 nights where a suite is absolutely needed. The difference in the room to suite cost in points the cost difference is 103,000, in cash the cost is $1,876 (pre-tax), that痴 just the upgrade cost from room to suite.

So I would say in that one stay alone it justifies it.

YMMV
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Matt4200

I would say YMMV -

I chased and will spend roughly $1,800 extra this year to maintain Globalist.

In 2023 I have 1 single stay where I am using a TSU for 6 nights where a suite is absolutely needed. The difference in the room to suite cost in points the cost difference is 103,000, in cash the cost is $1,876 (pre-tax), that痴 just the upgrade cost from room to suite.

So I would say in that one stay alone it justifies it.

YMMV
That's only if you hit 50 nights and above. Anything less than 50 nights isn't worth the constant chase, unless of course if you are already close.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
That's only if you hit 50 nights and above. Anything less than 50 nights isn't worth the constant chase, unless of course if you are already close.
Exactly and OP is exceedingly close to Explorist which comes with many benefits such as -

Points bonus, Better Upgrades (many reports of suite upgrades even at select properties), MGM Gold Status, Category 1-4 Certificate and so on.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:49 pm

Does Hyatt not give previous globs a soft landing to Explorist? In any case, if they are already a glob they need not retain Explorist to maintain their MGM Gold. In fact, they ought to be able to maintain Explorist by matching back from Gold. Which means we are all probably burying the lead here.

OP, you can match to MGM Gold if you haven't done so already, and then match back to Hyatt Explorist without ever staying another night if you don't want to. But remember, matching will not give you any milestone awards.
samplat likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Does Hyatt not give previous globs a soft landing to Explorist? In any case, if they are already a glob they need not retain Explorist to maintain their MGM Gold. In fact, they ought to be able to maintain Explorist by matching back from Gold. Which means we are all probably burying the lead here.

OP, you can match to MGM Gold if you haven't done so already, and then match back to Hyatt Explorist without ever staying another night if you don't want to. But remember, matching will not give you any milestone awards.

Definitely true!

So the only real benefit would be the Cat 1-4.

Also if OP does a 2 night MR they壇 get double points on that stay too which may bring down net cost.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:14 pm

So the only real benefit would be the Cat 1-4.
Plus 2 more club access awards they can toss onto the pile of useless club access awards they likely already have stashed away.

Of course you never know, it is feasible that an explorist may have a stay with multiple rooms where it does come in handy to have a bunch of these.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Plus 2 more club access awards they can toss onto the pile of useless club access awards they likely already have stashed away.

Of course you never know, it is feasible that an explorist may have a stay with multiple rooms where it does come in handy to have a bunch of these.
If you can find an open Club Lounge.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
If you can find an open Club Lounge.
There's one here: Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

David
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Yes Manchester Grand Hyatt as well. Though many club lounges are still closed.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Hilton Diamond, WN, AA, Total Rewards Diamond
Do you have a WOH credit card? If yes, spend $5000 before your December statement closes and receive two bonus nights.
samplat likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
One thing I致e done in the past if I was really close (1-3 nights off) is to go to a local women's shelter and ask if they were over capacity and needed a nice room for a mother and child for a night or two. Not only did this allow me to help someone out but I could count the rack rate of the room as a tax write off.
samplat, Seabilly and BBQman98 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for all the suggestions.

As it turns out, had to cancel one of my 2 night trips last night so now I知 4 nights away from Explorist which makes the math more challenging.

5k spend for 2 nights may be an option and matching from MGM might be another option worth exploring.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.