Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay in the Hollywood Area?

Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Of the 3 locations in the Hollywood area where would you stay? I'll be 3 nights, Thu-Sun, needing to work a full day on the Friday with an event to go to that night in Hollywood. Saturday will be relaxing and an evening out with local relatives who live more in the Woodland hills area. I'll not have a car and will likely need to rely on Uber to get around or rides from family. Other than needing to be in Hollywood on Friday night, I have no other reason to be there so would consider other LA properties if suggested. Flights will be in/out of LAX.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theshaun
Of the 3 locations in the Hollywood area where would you stay? I'll be 3 nights, Thu-Sun, needing to work a full day on the Friday with an event to go to that night in Hollywood. Saturday will be relaxing and an evening out with local relatives who live more in the Woodland hills area. I'll not have a car and will likely need to rely on Uber to get around or rides from family. Other than needing to be in Hollywood on Friday night, I have no other reason to be there so would consider other LA properties if suggested. Flights will be in/out of LAX.
I’d say Andaz
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:51 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
If you have no other reason to be in Hollywood, then I'd stay at The Shay.
I will not stay at the Andaz anymore. Last stay was disppointing. Terrible party-stuff on the roof top, cannot use the pool as a non-party guest.
Thompson was an option for me, but after reading the reports on the loud party-style DJ Music on the rooftop a no-go. Also the Tommie. lot's of homeless people in the vicinity of both hotels.
haven't stayed at The Figueroa, so cannot judge/comment.
If you can wait a couple of years then the PH would be an option.

So The Shay it would be for me at this stage.

Last edited by 59Impala; Sep 24, 2022 at 4:02 am
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
If you have no other reason to be in Hollywood, then I'd stay at The Shay.
I will not stay at the Andaz anymore. Last stay was disppointing. Terrible party-stuff on the roof top, cannot use the pool as a non-party guest.
Thompson was an option for me, but after reading the reports on the loud party-style DJ Music on the rooftop a no-go. Also the Tommie. lot's of homeless people in the vicinity of both hotels.
haven't stayed at The Figueroa, so cannot judge/comment.
If you can wait a couple of years then the PH would be an option.

So The Shay it would be for me at this stage.
Guessing you ran into an LGBTQ party. Considering West Hollywood where the Andaz is situated is the biggest LGBTQ area in Southern California not surprising in the least, it’s huge on partying. I would definitely compare it to Andaz San Diego as not being like any other Andaz property.

If OP had a car I’d definitely say check out HR Westlake it’s very hidden but probably closer to Woodland Hills and a good amount to do and eat nearby.

Hollywood generally isn’t a good area to actually stay, it’s pretty much a slum, people generally go just for the tourist attractions or for an event at night as you are, though they’d typically stay in the surrounding areas.

If price is no issue then go to The Shay but their cash rates tend to be $300+.

There’s a very good Hilton in Woodland Hills which I’d recommend it’s just Hilton not a specific brand. That would likely be the most convenient. If you need the nights with Hyatt that’s a tough situation.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
LOL. The Shay is not in or even near Hollywood. It's in Culver City.

I believe the options are the Andaz, the Thompson, and the Tommie. I haven't stayed at any of them, at least since back when the Andaz was the Hyatt West Hollywood. (Heck, I even stayed there when it was the Hyatt on Sunset.) But based on the comments about loud parties at the Andaz and Thompson, I'd stay at the Tommie (although being basically the same address as the Thompson, it might be loud as well). It and the Thompson are much more the heart of Hollywood; Andaz is more in West Hollywood. Both the Thompson and the Tommie are just a short walk from the Hollywood/Vine Metro stop. I haven't rented a car in L.A. in many years now; I use the transit, which is cheaper and way easier. So that gives you an extra option since you're without a car.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Now considering staying at HR LAX since I really only need to be in Hollywood one night. I figure Uber to and from is worth all $$$ that I would save compared to the Andaz
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:33 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by hotturnip
LOL. The Shay is not in or even near Hollywood. It's in Culver City.
Considering OP does not need to be in Hollywood other than that one single evening, I consider 6,8 miles from Hollywood very near, especially in L.A.

OP is even considering the Hyatt at LAX, it is double the distance compared to Culver City - LOL…

Last edited by 59Impala; Sep 25, 2022 at 8:59 am
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:33 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Now considering staying at HR LAX since I really only need to be in Hollywood one night. I figure Uber to and from is worth all $$$ that I would save compared to the Andaz
In that case I’d suggest The Shay as well, particularly since you won’t have a car- there’s a fair amount in Culver City within walking distance. The HR LAX is… well, exactly what you’d expect, an airport hotel without a lot within walking distance other than the terminal and other airport hotels.
59Impala likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Good choice, many of us quite enjoy HR LAX, for me particularly the breakfast buffet . I've done the same thing a bunch of times for CME (Continuing Medical Education) at UCLA or Beverly Hills Hotel and even the old HR Century Plaza (more expensive at the time). Depending on your hotel priorities, might even consider the new Hyatt Place/Hyatt House LAX. I did it with a one day car rental once or twice before Lyft and Uber were in common use. Now, with Lyft/Uber, it's an even more viable option.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:46 am
Community Director Emerita

My husband stayed at Tommie a couple weeks back. He needed a break from driving north to south, and it was on his route. The room was extremely small and there are tents for homeless along the street. Check the property thread for pictures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.