ATONA - new brand for Japan

Old Sep 21, 22, 10:39 pm
  #1  
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zulu Romeo Hotel
Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Posts: 3,779
ATONA - new brand for Japan

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=124292

.
Hyatt and Kiraku Unveil New Hospitality Brand Under Joint Venture
The new brand, ATONA, will feature the distinctive culture, history, and environment of each of its destinations in Japan through a modernized hot spring ryokan experience
.

CHICAGO (September 21, 2022) Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) announced today that a Hyatt affiliate and Kiraku, Inc. (Kiraku) have entered into a strategic joint venture that will launch a collection of modern-style hot spring ryokans (Japanese-style inn) in Japan targeting global travelers under the new hospitality brand, ATONA. Hyatt and Kiraku will each own fifty percent of the joint venture and will leverage the expertise and strengths of both Hyatt and Kiraku to develop this new offering.

Japan was ranked as the number one tourist destination in the world out of 117 countries and regions according to the recent Travel and Tourism Development Index (TTDI 2021) and published by the World Economic Forum. Each region in Japan is home to an incredibly unique culture and landscape, many of which are still relatively unknown to much of the world. Leveraging the interest of global travelers to the country, the ATONA brand will express the unique charm of each regions architecture, design, cuisine, activities, and hospitality through the ryokan experience. Centered around the onsen (hot spring), a treasured part of Japanese culture, the ryokans built by the joint venture will feature a modernized style that will serve as the base of each guests journey in Japan. Set amongst breathtaking landscapes, each will offer new experiences and discoveries both within and beyond the ryokan that are special to its locale.

ATONA is an expression of deep connection: a combination of two old Japanese words (吾汝) that means me and you. The ATONA brand experience will offer bespoke experiences and warm Japanese hospitality away from the bustle of everyday life, inspiring guests to feel the deep wisdom hidden within nature and a peaceful place to reconnect with oneself.

Rooted in the rich history, culture, and people of the locale, guests will be able to experience encounters and meaningful exchanges with other travelers, foster connections with the local community and contribute to the regional revitalization of Japan.

Kirakus collaboration with Hyatt, a leading global hospitality company, presents an exciting opportunity to discover and share the unique charms of Japan from a global perspective, said Kou Sundberg, founder and chief executive officer of Kiraku. Having roots in both Japan and the United States, I have always been interested in the diverse cultures and landscapes that can be found across Japan, and at Kiraku, we have focused on creating businesses that share these treasures with the world. Through the building of hot spring ryokans under the ATONA brand across the country, we hope these ryokans will provide guests, both local and from abroad, a special place to experience the still unseen wonders of Japan, while also positively impacting local economies.

We are thrilled to announce this new hot spring ryokan brand, ATONA, through our joint venture with Kiraku, that will showcase Japans many attractions and unique experiences to our guests and support the revitalization of the local economy, said Sam Sakamura, Hyatts vice president Japan and Micronesia. We believe that the five essential elements for inbound tourism are food, culture, history, safety, and transportation infrastructure, and as a highly sought-after tourist destination, Japan exceeds in each of these categories. Through our strong collaboration with Kiraku on the ATONA brand, the joint venture will build on the unique, personalized experience of traditional Japanese ryokans, which have been loved by locals for centuries, and make them accessible to inbound travelers, many of whom have never experienced staying in a ryokan before.

Kenya Hara, one of Japans leading designers, joins this project to serve as creative director for the ATONA brand. Development plans are currently under way to unveil the collection of ATONA-branded ryokans beginning in 2025.

The joint venture is expected to expand ryokans under the ATONA brand in regional areas of Japan. The ATONA brand will be managed independently by a team of highly experienced hospitality experts who have a deep understanding of both Japanese culture and international hotel standards.
59Impala is offline  
Old Sep 21, 22, 11:17 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,108
Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post
https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=124292

.
Hyatt and Kiraku Unveil New Hospitality Brand Under Joint Venture
The new brand, ATONA, will feature the distinctive culture, history, and environment of each of its destinations in Japan through a modernized hot spring ryokan experience
.

CHICAGO (September 21, 2022) Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) announced today that a Hyatt affiliate and Kiraku, Inc. (Kiraku) have entered into a strategic joint venture that will launch a collection of modern-style hot spring ryokans (Japanese-style inn) in Japan targeting global travelers under the new hospitality brand, ATONA. Hyatt and Kiraku will each own fifty percent of the joint venture and will leverage the expertise and strengths of both Hyatt and Kiraku to develop this new offering.

Japan was ranked as the number one tourist destination in the world out of 117 countries and regions according to the recent Travel and Tourism Development Index (TTDI 2021) and published by the World Economic Forum. Each region in Japan is home to an incredibly unique culture and landscape, many of which are still relatively unknown to much of the world. Leveraging the interest of global travelers to the country, the ATONA brand will express the unique charm of each regions architecture, design, cuisine, activities, and hospitality through the ryokan experience. Centered around the onsen (hot spring), a treasured part of Japanese culture, the ryokans built by the joint venture will feature a modernized style that will serve as the base of each guests journey in Japan. Set amongst breathtaking landscapes, each will offer new experiences and discoveries both within and beyond the ryokan that are special to its locale.

ATONA is an expression of deep connection: a combination of two old Japanese words (吾汝) that means me and you. The ATONA brand experience will offer bespoke experiences and warm Japanese hospitality away from the bustle of everyday life, inspiring guests to feel the deep wisdom hidden within nature and a peaceful place to reconnect with oneself.

Rooted in the rich history, culture, and people of the locale, guests will be able to experience encounters and meaningful exchanges with other travelers, foster connections with the local community and contribute to the regional revitalization of Japan.

Kirakus collaboration with Hyatt, a leading global hospitality company, presents an exciting opportunity to discover and share the unique charms of Japan from a global perspective, said Kou Sundberg, founder and chief executive officer of Kiraku. Having roots in both Japan and the United States, I have always been interested in the diverse cultures and landscapes that can be found across Japan, and at Kiraku, we have focused on creating businesses that share these treasures with the world. Through the building of hot spring ryokans under the ATONA brand across the country, we hope these ryokans will provide guests, both local and from abroad, a special place to experience the still unseen wonders of Japan, while also positively impacting local economies.

We are thrilled to announce this new hot spring ryokan brand, ATONA, through our joint venture with Kiraku, that will showcase Japans many attractions and unique experiences to our guests and support the revitalization of the local economy, said Sam Sakamura, Hyatts vice president Japan and Micronesia. We believe that the five essential elements for inbound tourism are food, culture, history, safety, and transportation infrastructure, and as a highly sought-after tourist destination, Japan exceeds in each of these categories. Through our strong collaboration with Kiraku on the ATONA brand, the joint venture will build on the unique, personalized experience of traditional Japanese ryokans, which have been loved by locals for centuries, and make them accessible to inbound travelers, many of whom have never experienced staying in a ryokan before.

Kenya Hara, one of Japans leading designers, joins this project to serve as creative director for the ATONA brand. Development plans are currently under way to unveil the collection of ATONA-branded ryokans beginning in 2025.

The joint venture is expected to expand ryokans under the ATONA brand in regional areas of Japan. The ATONA brand will be managed independently by a team of highly experienced hospitality experts who have a deep understanding of both Japanese culture and international hotel standards.
Any idea on Category or Price Point?

Id try out a hot spring hotel, unique concept.

Also, Im guessing full WOH participation right?
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:30 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,792
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post

I’d try out a hot spring hotel, unique concept.
Not even remotely unique for Japan. There are thousands of ryokans you could stay at.

What is unique is a US-based hotel chain getting involved in a market segment limited to a single non-USA country, rather than just paying some 20-something consultant fresh out of US business school to dream up a new cookie-cutter brand to impose on the world.
jamiel and BearX220 like this.
craigthemif is online now  
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:39 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,108
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Not even remotely unique for Japan. There are thousands of ryokans you could stay at.

What is unique is a US-based hotel chain getting involved in a market segment limited to a single non-USA country, rather than just paying some 20-something consultant fresh out of US business school to dream up a new cookie-cutter brand to impose on the world.
By unique concept I meant for a U.S. Based hotel chain to embrace as AFAIK no Hiltons, Hyatts or Marriotts have these, even in Asia.

Its definitely a unique concept to the US as Ive stayed in areas in the US with Hot Springs like Colorado Springs and no major hotels actually have them on site.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:06 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 99,667
There's an independent hotel in Alaska with a hot spring on the premises that feeds a pool (which is open to the public as well as hotel guests).

IIRC in some of the hot springs towns in Europe, there are hotels with hot springs on the premises in addition to the public municipal facilities.

ADDED: There are other western chain hotels in Japan with onsens, including RC Nikko, Mitsui Kyoto (Bonvoy LC), H. Niseko Village (RC Reserve, so no real Bonvoy benefits).
GratefulSmile and BearX220 like this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 22, 22 at 2:19 am
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:19 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,108
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
There's an independent hotel in Alaska with a hot spring on the premises that feeds a pool (which is open to the public as well as hotel guests).

IIRC in some of the hot springs towns in Europe, there are hotels with hot springs on the premises in addition to the public municipal facilities.
Any of them affiliated with Hyatt, Hilton or Marriott?

Obviously theres going to be some independent hotels that want to capitalize on them, but my comment specifically says for the big chains.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:38 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 99,667
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
Any of them affiliated with Hyatt, Hilton or Marriott?

Obviously theres going to be some independent hotels that want to capitalize on them, but my comment specifically says for the big chains.
See what I added to my post above naming some chain hotels in Japan with their own onsens.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:42 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,108
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
See what I added to my post above naming some chain hotels in Japan with their own onsens.
So 1 property in Japan with a connection to 1 of the 3 or 4 major hotel chains. While your main post was about Alaska and Europe.

Seems fairly unique then, at least for a hotel with Hot Springs to have a connection. To one of the Major hotel chains.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:33 am
  #9  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,214
Another badge pickup in Japan too. Nice.
Aventine is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:40 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: Eurobonus, Hyatt
Posts: 26
Hyatt Regency Hakone does have a hot spring onsen on site, of the Hyatt properties I've visited in Japan. Looking forward to more Hyatt properties with that option.
TravisMT81 and MSPeconomist like this.
Living_on_Points is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:00 am
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 558
Japan ranked "#1 Tourist Destination in the World 2021"?

More like "Least credible poll in the World".
Ghoulish is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:01 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,108
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
Another badge pickup in Japan too. Nice.
I like how Hyatt has address like 10 new brands in the last year to get badges.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:30 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Singapore, London
Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Posts: 247
Depends on the price point, it will definitely give groups like Hoshino or Fufu (ryokan-like hotels which are more catered to foreigners) a run for their money. Anyway, always welcome more competition!!

Last edited by williamluk; Sep 22, 22 at 9:47 am
williamluk is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:51 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Posts: 19,243
Originally Posted by Ghoulish View Post
Japan ranked "#1 Tourist Destination in the World 2021"?

More like "Least credible poll in the World".
In 2021 it was almost wholly uncontaminated by tourists.
MasterPlanner likes this.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:57 am
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 558
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
In 2021 it was almost wholly uncontaminated by tourists.
Exactly. The Japanese got a little taste of what expressing their anti-gaijin sentiment to its full would feel like, and hence, even as the tourism industry has withered to near death, are being dragged kicking and screaming into some form of reopening themselves to the infected, filthy foreign masses.
antonius66 and wrldwide1 like this.
Ghoulish is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread