Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATONA - new brand for Japan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It’s not just the hot springs, it’s a whole property concept. KI-NRT posted a really good ryokan guide the other day and it sounds like the kind of experience I’d love to have if I could figure out how to overcome the language issues and figure out how not to unintentionally do something dumb or offensive.

The top end of the concept-

Japan Luxury Ryokans - A Primer + Impressions
jamiel likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Any idea on Category or Price Point?

I’d try out a hot spring hotel, unique concept.

Also, I’m guessing full WOH participation right?
It's "beginning in 2025" which is a solid 2+ years away. WOH may be quite different then.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
PH Niseko has an onsen as well as some rooms with rotenburo (in room hot spring bath), PH Kyoto has a few rooms with onsen bath as well IIRC. Under IHG the Indigo Hakone and IC Beppu have onsen (Indigo every room, IC not all rooms though). IC and CP Appi Kogen have them too.

Of course these are only a few while there are thousands of Japanese Ryokan with onsen and someone mentioned the Hoshino resorts and also Tsugaru group (focus on Hokkaido) though some properties in those portfolios can be great while others can be meh, YMMV. Definitely interesting, let's see what they will come up with.

I think many people (especially tourists, I include myself there) may be a bit intimidated by the full blown, top end Japanese ryokans as there can be lots of rules to be followed that are not necessarily known to foreigners, plus you better have a very well filled wallet .
beachmouse and GratefulSmile like this.

Last edited by demue; Sep 22, 2022 at 8:32 am
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Great! Can’t wait to try it out once Japan finally opens up to tourists in twenty years or so.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bretmd
Great! Can’t wait to try it out once Japan finally opens up to tourists in twenty years or so.
Seems like Oct. 11th?
(Japan to remove daily 50,000 entry cap on Oct. 11: PM Kishida)
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmouse
It’s not just the hot springs, it’s a whole property concept. KI-NRT posted a really good ryokan guide the other day and it sounds like the kind of experience I’d love to have if I could figure out how to overcome the language issues and figure out how not to unintentionally do something dumb or offensive.

The top end of the concept-

Japan Luxury Ryokans - A Primer + Impressions
you should look him up at TripAdvisor, the number of reviews he got on ryokans are astonishing!! Not sure he actually got to stay at home much lol.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Matt4200
So 1 property in Japan with a connection to 1 of the 3 or 4 major hotel chains. While your main post was about Alaska and Europe.

Seems fairly unique then, at least for a hotel with Hot Springs to have a connection. To one of the Major hotel chains.
Please read. I listed three separate properties associated with Bonvoy. One counterexample is enough to disprove a claim.

Since ATONA will be a Hyatt brand, I didn't feel it necessary to list Hyatt properties (although there a few, such as Hakone) and I don't normally stay in Hilton, etc. I also didn't try to think of properties that might have a hot spring associated with a hotel's spa (and thus available only to the spa's clients). I'm just not that interested in this concept.

Within Hyatt, Ventana Big Sur might qualify depending on the source (I don't know) of the water for their outdoor hot tubs.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 22, 2022 at 10:36 am
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Hopefully by 2025 the economy and stock market are not going to be in tatters anymore b/c I predict this things will not be cheap. Very exciting though
Old Sep 24, 2022, 12:38 am

This article gives a little more insight into what this new brand will be:

Hyatt Partners With Kiraku To Develop Ryokans, Small Hotels Built Around Hot Springs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.