Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Shortening reservation after rate increase

Old Sep 11, 22, 6:08 am
Original Poster

I booked a stay at a Hyatt (La Jolla) a few months ago and need to shorten it by one night. I couldn't adjust the reservation directly on the website, so I contacted my concierge. She told me that because the rate has since increased, changing the length of the stay would trigger the higher rate. That is, it'd be as if I canceled the reservation and made a new one.

This seems pretty absurd to me. So I'm thinking of just keeping the original reservation, then asking to check out a day early when I arrive. I can't find any information about early check-out fees, however. Does anyone have experience with this? In case that makes a difference, I'm a Globalist, and I booked a cash rate + points upgrade to a suite.
Old Sep 11, 22, 7:35 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Soriak View Post
I booked a stay at a Hyatt (La Jolla) a few months ago and need to shorten it by one night. I couldn't adjust the reservation directly on the website, so I contacted my concierge. She told me that because the rate has since increased, changing the length of the stay would trigger the higher rate. That is, it'd be as if I canceled the reservation and made a new one.

This seems pretty absurd to me. So I'm thinking of just keeping the original reservation, then asking to check out a day early when I arrive. I can't find any information about early check-out fees, however. Does anyone have experience with this? In case that makes a difference, I'm a Globalist, and I booked a cash rate + points upgrade to a suite.
It'll depend on the property and the rate booked. If it's a 2 night stay w/ a 72 hour cancellation period then it's less likely to work out for you vs. a 7 night stay w/ a 24 hour cancellation period.
Old Sep 11, 22, 11:01 am

I had this situation for Andaz Papagayo a month ago.

I called a month in advance and was told that three nights at the new rate would be more expensive than four nights at the original rate.

When I checked in, I told the front desk that I was planning to only stay three nights. They didn't offer to change the reservation and I didn't really press the issue.

In the end, I paid for the four nights and checked out after the third night. I only got three EQNs oddly.
Old Sep 11, 22, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

works for award stays and usually renegotiated corporate rates but ymmv for paid rates which often vary depending on length of stay etc.. you can always let hotel know at check in - they may be able to adjust.. the other day westin warsaw told me i would be able to check out any day and keep the original rate as long as i inform them the night before.. (i did end up shortening my stay by one night).. otoh a have a stay at destination property coming up and i am not expecting the same outcome...
Old Sep 11, 22, 1:18 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by avogadro View Post

In the end, I paid for the four nights and checked out after the third night. I only got three EQNs oddly.
that is not odd in fact, as you theoretically need to be physically there for the credits. So if you check out after 3 days the folio is closed. Other option may have been to check out via the app after the 4th night you did not use. That would have triggered 4 tier nights. Unsure if this works though at the Andaz Papagayo.

Last edited by 59Impala; Sep 11, 22 at 1:49 pm
Old Sep 11, 22, 7:41 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Say you book 4 nights in June at a particular rate. You are making an agreement with the hotel that youll be there for 4 nights and the hotel agrees to take $XX per night.

in September, you decide maybe you dont need that 4th night and now you are essentially breaking your agreement with the hotel to occupy that room for 4 nights. But in the meantime rates have been going up for 3 months. And now the hotel has to sell an additional night to someone because youre leaving a day early.

So you arent holding up your end, but you expect them to offer you the same rate? Doesnt work like that. If you want 3 nights today, your reservation gets repriced at todays rates.
Old Sep 11, 22, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, UA Gold (1mm),Marriott Plat, AVIS PC, National ExecElite
If my plans aren’t rock solid, I book a couple of one night stays.
HPN-HRL likes this.
Old Sep 11, 22, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post
that is not odd in fact, as you theoretically need to be physically there for the credits. So if you check out after 3 days the folio is closed. Other option may have been to check out via the app after the 4th night you did not use. That would have triggered 4 tier nights. Unsure if this works though at the Andaz Papagayo.
This is correct. By verbally telling them OP was leaving after 3 nights they basically kept the reservation intact, checked them out after 3 nights and the 4th was treated as a late check out/no show so no EQNs were issued.
Old Sep 11, 22, 9:18 pm

Its not absurd at all. You made a reservation and any modifications to that reservation would be basically the same as making a new reservation.

Itd be basically the same as me booking 10 nights at a long term rate (minimum 10 nights) then calling in and saying Id like to change it to 8 nights, but keep the special long term rate.

Thats absurd to assume.

The same is true for points reservations if you booked a year ago and it changed categories or was designated as a peak date it would change to the new rate for all dates on the reservation.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Update: the hotel shortened the stay at the original rate, even before I could reply to my concierge. Given that the responses here don't match my intuition, I'm especially appreciative of them doing this.

Originally Posted by wrldwide1 View Post
But in the meantime rates have been going up for 3 months. And now the hotel has to sell an additional night to someone because youre leaving a day early.
The hotel may risk losing, say, $100 on the original reservation and stands to make $300 on the new reservation with higher prices. They adjust prices dynamically to reflect demand, so the original "bargain" is costly for the hotel: they underestimated how many rooms would fill up. Otherwise, they would have charged a higher rate from the beginning. To clarify: my booking is still quite a while away, so this is not a last-minute change.

Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
Itd be basically the same as me booking 10 nights at a long term rate (minimum 10 nights) then calling in and saying Id like to change it to 8 nights, but keep the special long term rate.
I agree that you cannot get a discounted rate if you don't meet the minimum requirements for that discount. That's not what happened in my case: their nightly rate simply went up.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 1:05 am

I agree that you cannot get a discounted rate if you don't meet the minimum requirements for that discount. That's not what happened in my case: their nightly rate simply went up.
To Hyatt its the same thing -

X Rate was offer lets say in March so you booked under X rate. Since March the rate changed 8 times. The current rate is X + $82.

Shortening a reservation requires rebooking, which means youd get the current rate which is X + $82 per night.

Neither Hyatt Corporate nor Twitter, nor your Concierge can do what you asked, because its not Hyatts policy.

In your case the hotel was nice enough to adjust the stay to one less night. My guess is because it was Hyatt Regency La Jolla which is one of the worst San Diego properties, it definitely does not deserve a Category 3 designation. I would much rather stay at the Hyatt House Sorrento Mesa (same category and typically lower cash rates, or The Hyatt Regency Mission Bay which also has similar cash rates and is also a Category 3). We travel to San Diego pretty frequently (we have family in Oceanside but we stay in the Gaslamp when visiting).

Anyways be thankful the hotel went above and beyond. Also, try Bronx Pizza (really close to your hotel its the Best is SD) and definitely get Phils BBQ both Id highly give my stamp of approval.
Old Sep 12, 22, 1:20 am
Original Poster

In your case the hotel was nice enough to adjust the stay to one less night. My guess is because it was Hyatt Regency La Jolla which is one of the worst San Diego properties, it definitely does not deserve a Category 3 designation. I would much rather stay at the Hyatt House Sorrento Mesa (same category and typically lower cash rates, or The Hyatt Regency Mission Bay which also has similar cash rates and is also a Category 3). We travel to San Diego pretty frequently (we have family in Oceanside but we stay in the Gaslamp when visiting).
In this case, I need to be in La Jolla, not San Diego -- and I put a large premium on walking vs. a 20 minute Uber ride. But I appreciate the suggestions in case I find myself in San Diego sometime. I used points to upgrade to their VIP suite, which at 1,000-1,400 square feet seems like it would be a fun experience at least.

Also, try Bronx Pizza (really close to your hotel its the Best is SD) and definitely get Phils BBQ both Id highly give my stamp of approval.
Definitely, thanks for the recommendations!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 1:55 am

In this case, I need to be in La Jolla, not San Diego -- and I put a large premium on walking vs. a 20 minute Uber ride. But I appreciate the suggestions in case I find myself in San Diego sometime. I used points to upgrade to their VIP suite, which at 1,000-1,400 square feet seems like it would be a fun experience at least.

Definitely, thanks for the recommendations!
I mean thats understandable, I just wish this property was more updated, especially when they charge over $200 per night typically.
Old Sep 12, 22, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by rjburns View Post
If my plans arent rock solid, I book a couple of one night stays.
Very clever!!! Great idea!
Old Sep 12, 22, 9:39 am

To Hyatt its the same thing -

X Rate was offer lets say in March so you booked under X rate. Since March the rate changed 8 times. The current rate is X + $82.

Shortening a reservation requires rebooking, which means youd get the current rate which is X + $82 per night.

Neither Hyatt Corporate nor Twitter, nor your Concierge can do what you asked, because its not Hyatts policy.

Anyways be thankful the hotel went above and beyond. Also, try Bronx Pizza (really close to your hotel its the Best is SD) and definitely get Phils BBQ both Id highly give my stamp of approval.
based on your frequent travels to area, what are your thoughts on all the hotels ?

mission pacific/the seabird?
are alila marea and park Hyatt worth the splurge for points (Id never pay those cash rates)?

why Hyatt house over hr La Jolla? Last time I stayed at that Hyatt house I thought it felt quite dated, plus Ill take a Hyatt regency globalist breakfast over any Hyatt place/house..

hp Carlsbad.. Ill stay there only when it is convenient based on location

never stayed at hr mission bay.. how is it compared to the other hotels north or south?

stayed at grand Hyatt, and felt positive. TripAdvisor, flyertalk, etc seem quite positive as well, with Andaz being a mixed bag. Between these two grand hyatt is the clear favorite in my mind, even if I have to pay a bit more cash.

Search this Thread