Globalist Benefits Question

Old Aug 30, 22, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Platinum
Globalist Benefits Question

Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered.

Will I get globalist benefits when using points coming from my friend's account and not mine?

Thanks!!
Old Aug 30, 22, 1:15 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by puding View Post
Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered.

Will I get globalist benefits when using points coming from my friend's account and not mine?

Thanks!!
yes, if the reservation is in your name, it does not matter where the points come from.
if it is a GOH booking from your friend, you would also get the Glob benefits due to his/her status being Globalist. you cannot use a TSU though on a GOH booking.
Old Aug 30, 22, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post
yes, if the reservation is in your name, it does not matter where the points come from.
if it is a GOH booking from your friend, you would also get the Glob benefits due to his/her status being Globalist. you cannot use a TSU though on a GOH booking.
Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate it.

Points are coming from my friend's account and the booking will be under my name so wanted to confirm if I can get full globalist benefits (I'm a globalist and my friend is not)
Old Aug 30, 22, 2:09 pm

If you are first transferring points from your friends account into your Globalist account and you then book with those points from your account, they are your points now and it is your booking so your benefits apply to bookings for you, in your name, where you are staying as the guest.

If everything above is the same but you are booking a Guest of Honor stay for someone else, they get the benefits of your account.

Last edited by antonius66; Aug 30, 22 at 3:44 pm
Old Aug 30, 22, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Hold up, I think that puding needs to be super clear what's happening.
1) Is friend transferring Hyatt points to Puding and Puding is making a booking?
No problem, as 59Impala says, this is your points from your account.

2) Is friend making a Guest of Honor reservation for Puding?
Also no problem. Technically the status is coming from the friend, not puding, but no big deal.

3) Is the friend making a normal reservation and adding Puding's name to the reservation?
NO, I would not expect that you'll get any of your Globalist status. Also this is one of those things that people on FT go round-and-round on whether it's ethical or follows the rules/intent of the program. Effectively, this is the friends reservation linked to the friends account. They will end up getting night credit and spend credit. IF and ONLY IF the hotel allows Puding to check in (presumably the friend isn't there). The no-no here is that per T&C the friend made the reservation and they're supposed to be physically there to check in. Presumably, this works most of the time. But if it doesn't, you have absolutely zero recourse because it's not supposed to work. And if this happens regularly Hyatt could say that you're trying to defraud the system and make up a consequence for you. I'm not saying that it will happen, but just that this is a potential violation of Hyatt's T&C and so it's up to Hyatt how to handle it.
Old Aug 30, 22, 3:45 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
Hold up, I think that puding needs to be super clear what's happening.
1) Is friend transferring Hyatt points to Puding and Puding is making a booking?
No problem, as 59Impala says, this is your points from your account.

2) Is friend making a Guest of Honor reservation for Puding?
Also no problem. Technically the status is coming from the friend, not puding, but no big deal.

3) Is the friend making a normal reservation and adding Puding's name to the reservation?
NO, I would not expect that you'll get any of your Globalist status. Also this is one of those things that people on FT go round-and-round on whether it's ethical or follows the rules/intent of the program. Effectively, this is the friends reservation linked to the friends account. They will end up getting night credit and spend credit. IF and ONLY IF the hotel allows Puding to check in (presumably the friend isn't there). The no-no here is that per T&C the friend made the reservation and they're supposed to be physically there to check in. Presumably, this works most of the time. But if it doesn't, you have absolutely zero recourse because it's not supposed to work. And if this happens regularly Hyatt could say that you're trying to defraud the system and make up a consequence for you. I'm not saying that it will happen, but just that this is a potential violation of Hyatt's T&C and so it's up to Hyatt how to handle it.
There's a 4th scenario ... The friend is making a reservation (using their points) in puding's name. This is perfectly legit and is called "Gifting an Award" in the T&Cs. Since the reservation is in puding's name, puding's status will apply. In my view, this is the simplest approach. No points transfer is needed, no GoH is required (assuming the friend is a Glob) and no "second name" issues.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Aug 30, 22, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by skj View Post
There's a 4th scenario ... The friend is making a reservation (using their points) in puding's name. This is perfectly legit and is called "Gifting an Award" in the T&Cs. Since the reservation is in puding's name, puding's status will apply. In my view, this is the simplest approach. No points transfer is needed, no GoH is required (assuming the friend is a Glob) and no "second name" issues.
Right...option 4 is the one I'm expecting, and this shouldn't cause any issues for globalist benefits.

Search this Thread