Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

Hyatt | World of Hyatt

40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5k points?

View Poll Results: 40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5,000 points?
$100 gift card
53.40%
5k points
46.60%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5k points?

Old Aug 11, 22, 8:23 am

Programs: AA PPro, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
<snip> I do however know several people in NYC who fly to Chicago or take the train to Philadelphia and Mattress Run very cheaply, several have also posted on the Mattress Run threads
Bully for them. And do you know what that is called? It's called...

It's called... CHOICE

It fascinates me that you just can never stop arguing. You always need to have the last word, you always have to be right. There is no other Hyatt travel way but your way...

Regards
antonius66, NJNY, Kacee and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 22, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
my fav go-to leisure nights are driving to LA hotels , points rate usually looks like .02/pt value , and the free valet for award night globalist is a big perk
Old Aug 12, 22, 6:59 pm

The most heated discussions erupt over choices where the options are nearly equivalently valued. Personally, I value Hyatt points at 2c/point, and so 5k points = $100. I think it's right that you can find better redemptions and worse redemptions, depending on where you stay. And points or cash may be more useful, depending on how many points you already have. So having the choice is a fantastic perk where Hyatt may not actually care what people pick. I still think a noteworthy upside of the gift card is that you can use it for all Hyatt spending, whereas points can only be used for stays. So if you want to get dinner at the hotel, or go for a spa treatment, you have a good redemption option for the gift card.
NJNY likes this.
Old Aug 12, 22, 9:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Wow, MATT 4200. I live in a city with only one Hyatt. It is NEVER under $135. I am usually 2 or 3 nights short of 60 each year so I stay at that local Hyatt to achieve 60. I dont want to travel anywhere. Especially to Las Vegas which would be a 23 hour drive for me. That is my rational. You do not have to agree with it, but neither do you have to call it ludicrous. It makes perfect sense to me.
Steph58, scubadu, NJNY and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 22, 10:39 pm

Gift card means you have to spend it at Hyatt hotel. And spending at a hotel is almost always going to be more expensive than if you go next door, or down the street, for a similar product/service. I'd take the points knowing that I'm shooting for $0.02 per point, or more. At the nicer, high end resorts, this is quite achievable if the award is available. And as others have mentioned, the mental remembering of having to redeem the gift card is an added hassle. And when it really comes down to it, this 5000 pts vs $100 gift card is really the difference in a few dollars one way or another...
Old Aug 15, 22, 10:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joey965 View Post
Wow, MATT 4200. I live in a city with only one Hyatt. It is NEVER under $135. I am usually 2 or 3 nights short of 60 each year so I stay at that local Hyatt to achieve 60. I dont want to travel anywhere. Especially to Las Vegas which would be a 23 hour drive for me. That is my rational. You do not have to agree with it, but neither do you have to call it ludicrous. It makes perfect sense to me.
Yes and the other 57-58 nights out of the year where you stay and travel you have tons of opportunities outside of both your locale and Las Vegas. I named a dozen cities just off the top of my head and theres easily a dozen more.

It is ludicrous considering the extreme ease of attaining points otherwise.

Originally Posted by Seagull689 View Post
Gift card means you have to spend it at Hyatt hotel. And spending at a hotel is almost always going to be more expensive than if you go next door, or down the street, for a similar product/service. I'd take the points knowing that I'm shooting for $0.02 per point, or more. At the nicer, high end resorts, this is quite achievable if the award is available. And as others have mentioned, the mental remembering of having to redeem the gift card is an added hassle. And when it really comes down to it, this 5000 pts vs $100 gift card is really the difference in a few dollars one way or another...
I would say if you have even 1 single stay with any charges at all on your folio (nightly room rate, dining, mini bar, spa, anything at all) then the gift card would work out better.

Points are just so easy to attain both Chase and Hyatt give them our like Candy 60k and 100k at a time.

If you get both a Sapphire Card and the World of Hyatt card thats 160k World of Hyatt points. Thats not even counting points earned for regular spending either.

If points were much harder to come by then Id say get the points but theyre just so easy to get its comical to take the points option, especially if you count that you actually earn points from using the gift card too, up to 1,950 points just for redeeming that same $100 gift card during a 3x promo. Meaning during that period its 3,050 points or $100.
Old Aug 16, 22, 3:22 am

Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
I have always selected gift card, better value because I can use it in Americas. While redemption of the points can be now as low as 3500, a gift card even with the limited using possibilities, earns points as cash does. Until now I have spend it in Cat.3 hotels(12k points) and exactly with the room rate of 100usd taxes included. My next use of the card will be a Cat.4 hotel with price of 117usd taxes included, while points amount is 15k. Other two options were to use of 6500 points in Cat.2 hotel or cash 114usd++, or Cat.1-4 voucher at other Cat.4 hotel or cash 298usd++. Meanwhile in Europe I just booked 5k points stay where the cash prise was 135gbp at lowest.
rhg247 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 22, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Matt4200, wow, there is not just one path. I'm glad that Hyatt gives us options. "Ludicrous" really? Just FYI, I find your # of posts on this thread, proving your point from every angle, to be ludicrous.

For me this year:
I have a few upcoming stays at an HP that has unusually high rates ($240+) but still 5K points. And my points are running lower than usual. So I took the points.
Old Aug 16, 22, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just as a note -

The offer just changed now its -

5k points or a $100 Gift Card AND 1,300 World of Hyatt Points.

Effectively Making it 3,700 Points or a $100 Gift Card due to gaining the 1,300 World of Hyatt Points along with the $100 Gift Card.

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...-journeys.html

At least for stays Through 12/20
Old Aug 16, 22, 12:10 pm

Just as a note -

The offer just changed now its -

Effectively Making it 3,700 Points or a $100 Gift Card due to gaining the 1,300 World of Hyatt Points along with the $100 Gift Card.l
Your math still doesn't make sense if someone plans on staying at a place like NJNY is
Originally Posted by NJNY View Post
I have a few upcoming stays at an HP that has unusually high rates ($240+) but still 5K points. And my points are running lower than usual. So I took the points.
Old Aug 16, 22, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), several others
… The offer just changed now it’s -
Effectively Making it 3,700 Points or a $100 Gift Card due to gaining the 1,300 World of Hyatt Points along with the $100 Gift Card.
“The offer just changed now it’s … “$100 Gift Card AND 1,300 World of Hyatt Points”, where is that from?

“5k points or a $100 Gift Card AND …” would seem to refer to Hyatt 40 Nights Milestone Rewards. The link goes to Q4 Bonus Journeys registration page. Seems to be a non-sequitur, please clarify.

… Getting points is severely severely easy - as mentioned above Chase gives them away like candy, ...
… the extreme ease of attaining points otherwise...
I looked and I couldn’t find the “as mentioned above ”. Hyatt points are not generally considered “severely easy” to earn, most authorities seem to place ease of earning Hyatt points at perhaps 2 out of 5, a little more difficult than easy, perhaps related to the typical valuations of a Hyatt point being closer to the top of the heap than the bottom. (Hyatt 1.4-1.7 cents/point, compared to MR/UR at 1.8-2.0, UA/AA/DL at 1.2-1.4, and IHG/Hilton/Marriott at 0.5-0.8.)

Please share your “extreme ease” method(s) for earning Hyatt points. Thank you.
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
I always take the 5K points - as long as I can redeem at 2 cents or over consistently, it matches $100 in value and makes more sense than hassling with gift cards that hotel associates may or may not know how to run correctly.
This 100%. Tired of dealing with the front desk and people who haven't been trained in redeeming these cards. They also need a password to do so which usually only the manager has.
Old Aug 17, 22, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post
The offer just changed now its $100 Gift Card AND 1,300 World of Hyatt Points, where is that from?
I believe he is saying you will get $100 * 5x *30% bonus = 650 * 2 promo = 1,300.

What Matt is missing is that most people who generally reach 40 nights have a mix of points and cash stays anyway. So its not really $100 + 1,300 points vs 5,000 points. So if the property made sense paying cash anyway, they would pay cash, and get the 1,300 points anyway. Its just about which bucket it comes from.
Old Aug 17, 22, 10:06 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Just as a note -

The offer just changed now it’s -

???
Screenshot taken now. you're making things up again it seems.

skj likes this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post
???
Screenshot taken now. you're making things up again it seems.
It should be simple.

You spend $100 on a hotel room and you earn 500 Hyatt points. Do it during a double point promo and you get 1,000 points. Plus another 150 if you are Globalist. 1,150 in total.

5,,000 points gets you nothing when you stay using points.

Therefore the net effect is 3,850 points versus a $100 savings.

I get it if people cannot be bothered to do or understand the math. It is perfectly reasonable to prefer the convenience of 5k points over a $100 gift card that requires some hassle to use. But giving people a hard time for trying to explain the clear financial benefit of choosing the $100 gift card is OTT IMO...

Search this Thread