Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5k points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: 40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5,000 points?
$100 gift card
53.40%
5k points
46.60%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5k points?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:54 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I've said it in other threads, but since this thread is a repeat of earlier discussions, I'll repeat it here ... One advantage of gift cards and the difficulty some properties have in applying them is the value may be deducted from your portfolio but not actually debited from the card. This happened to me when I used the $100 at one property but found the card still had its full value many months later.
projectmaximus and Cara332 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by skj
I've said it in other threads, but since this thread is a repeat of earlier discussions, I'll repeat it here ... One advantage of gift cards and the difficulty some properties have in applying them is the value may be deducted from your portfolio but not actually debited from the card. This happened to me when I used the $100 at one property but found the card still had its full value many months later.
$100 buys 5555 points at their sale.

You don’t earn less points if you use a gift card.

the mis- processing is outweighed by fraud.

shouldn’t use it outside US as the high forex fee takes from its value.

I chose the gift card, because it’s worth $10 more than the cost of 5,000 points at their sale.

but the hassle factor combined with fraud is a valid determinant.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by HALL1C
Second this. Last year HR LAX took 30 min to figure out how to use the GC. I will go with the points with less hassle.
Brings back memories of those Costco check certificates from “the good old days”
antonius66 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'll bite... how does choosing the $100 gift card help you avoid hoarding points, given that one would usually use the gift card on a paid reservation?

Regards
Well, it doesn’t add to the problem - in other words, if I had 5,000 more points, they’d tend to sit in my account for awhile. The $100 I’ll spend immediately.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I agree with the previous post. I like the points. I dont think either is a wrong decision depending on your travel situation.
Agreed. I go back and forth for reasons already discussed in this thread.

It's nice that Hyatt provides two options of relatively equivalent value.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:48 pm

I take the points. I know the $100 is worth more -- but it's another thing to track that taxes my brain. When I travel I want to just check out -- ideally on my phone -- and leave. The time wasted in stopping by the front desk and hoping that whoever is there is able to work with the computer systems to rejigger things to accommodate multiple forms of payment when I'm trying to wrangle toddlers to get us to the airport on time. Definitely not worth the 10-20 bucks that I would ostensibly gain by min/max-ing the whole situation.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
i personally would go for points.
yes, gift cards can be used towads room costs, however, I believe they are not valid at all hotels, but mainly in the Americas? Unsure though.

My justification for the points option: if I get 100$ less on room costs, I lose 500 WoH points. so I prefer the 5k points.

There is a main thread on the Milestone Rewards
How do you lose 500 points???

Gift card payment earns the same as any other payment method.

Let’s say you have a folio of $100 exactly on base rate and pay with the $100 gift card.

You earn 5 points per dollar so you get 500 points plus the globalist bonus totaling 650 points.

So by choosing the $100 gift card you get $100 AND 650 Points.

Making it the clear winner.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:24 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Matt4200

Gift card payment earns the same as any other payment method.
ok, if that is true, I stand corrected. Typically vouchers (others, not Hyatt) do not earn points here in Switzerland at least
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
ok, if that is true, I stand corrected. Typically vouchers (others, not Hyatt) do not earn points here in Switzerland at least
In the US or Latin America it’s not a voucher it’s the same as a credit card. If it were a certificate for a free night it would be different but it’s a gift card.
59Impala likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:39 pm

I take the gift card because even if I stay using points, I can end up with room charges from the restaurant, bar, or spa. They don't expire and they don't risk devaluation in the event that Hyatt makes changes to the program.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by AllThePants
I take the points. I know the $100 is worth more -- but it's another thing to track that taxes my brain. When I travel I want to just check out -- ideally on my phone -- and leave. The time wasted in stopping by the front desk and hoping that whoever is there is able to work with the computer systems to rejigger things to accommodate multiple forms of payment when I'm trying to wrangle toddlers to get us to the airport on time. Definitely not worth the 10-20 bucks that I would ostensibly gain by min/max-ing the whole situation.
It’s entirely property dependent if you’re staying at a major property like Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego then they have tons of experience vs. a rural property.

For those using gift cards Hyatt Centric Park City, Park Hyatt Beaver Creek and Hyatt Regency Valencia also have loads of experience they’ve done them with ease on multiple occasions for us.

Also, I’d value the points at $75 vs $107.50 for the gift card (1.5 cent per point valuation) and $100 plus the 500 points earned by using the gift card so $32.50 difference assuming no double or triple points promos are running which would definitely give more value to the gift card.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Well... part of the reason the American economy is what it is and loyalty programs are as successful as they are, relates to the fact that most people are mathematically challenged.

The amount of money, time, resources, tearing of clothes, and gnashing of teeth than many FTers put into the pursuit of "free" hotel breakfast and telling themselves they are "saving" $1000+ per night on an upgraded suite that they never actually would in fact pay for never ceases to amaze me...

Regards
I agree with much of this. The time spent I don't agree with.

When i look at the value I am getting, I look at the value i would otherwise have paid. For example, if I was going to NYC I might pay 250 or 300 for a room, I would never pay $1,000 for a night in the Conrad. So if I use my Hilton night there, I say I got 250 of value for it.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Schnit
I agree with much of this. The time spent I don't agree with.

When i look at the value I am getting, I look at the value i would otherwise have paid. For example, if I was going to NYC I might pay 250 or 300 for a room, I would never pay $1,000 for a night in the Conrad. So if I use my Hilton night there, I say I got 250 of value for it.
I’d say my cap is a Category 3 (Off Peak, or Standard) 4 (only if off peak) property or up to $200 per night including taxes and fees for NYC, everywhere else it’s $150 (excluding anniversaries).
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by skj
OMG your post got me to look up my past gift cards, and last year's is showing with $100 credit still. What is the expiration on these? I don't see one. I could have used it at many points in the past few months but wasn't planning anymore Hyatt stays this year.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
If you live in the US/most of your travel is in the US, get the gift card. If you live/travel elsewhere a lot, get the points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.