FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   "Damage waiver fee" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2086970-damage-waiver-fee.html)

azepine00 Jul 14, 2022 10:46 am

"Damage waiver fee"

that's a new one - popped up for Mauna Lani point..

i hope hyatt will shut down this nonsense

note the amusing
"The Damage Waiver covers the registered guest and such other persons .. for up to THREE THOUSAND AND NO/100 DOLLARS ($1,500.00) of accidental damage"

ATTENTION: A non-refundable Damage Waiver Fee of $79, plus tax if applicable, will apply to the total cost of your reservation. href="https://www.destinationhotels.com/-/media/60a80c041bf44bce911ab3f474a6a8ab.ashx" target="_blank">Download Waiver. ...

DAMAGE WAIVER The total cost of your reservation for this Vacation Rental Residence includes a non-refundable Damage Waiver Fee (USD) with the following costs, plus tax if applicable: $79.00 per reservation for your entire stay The Damage Waiver covers the registered guest and such other persons who are authorized in writing to reside in the Vacation Rental Residence overnight as part of the reservation (collectively the “Registered Guest”) for up to THREE THOUSAND AND NO/100 DOLLARS ($1,500.00) of accidental damage to the Vacation Rental Residence or its contents (such as furniture, fixtures, and appliances), but not personal items of the Registered Guest, as long as the Registered Guest reports the incident to Destination Residences Hawaii LLC prior to checking out. The Damage Waiver fee eliminates the need for a traditional security deposit. The value of any loss, including items damaged or repairs required to return the Property to its condition prior to occupancy, is based on the full replacement or repair value with items of similar make and kind without deduction or credit for the used condition of the property damaged or lost. How to Report Damage Please report accidental damage as soon as it occurs so we can assess and minimize the extent of the damages. To report accidental damage, please call Destination Residences Hawaii LLC at 808-885-5022. Damage Waiver Additional Terms and Conditions a. The Damage Waiver only covers damage that occurs during the authorized rental period and that Registered Guest reports to Destination Residences Hawaii LLC PRIOR TO CHECK OUT. If you fail to report damage prior to check out and damage is later discovered, you shall remain liable for such damage to the extent allowed by law, and the Damage Waiver shall not offset such loss. b. The Damage Waiver Fee is non-refundable for any reason once Registered Guest has checked in to the Property. c. The Damage Waiver does not cover intentional damage or damage caused by smoking, pets or other animals brought onto the Vacation Rental Residence, or criminal activity. The Registered Guest is responsible for intentional damage or loss from acts of the Registered Guest or Registered Guest’s invitees. d. The Damage Waiver does not cover damage to any structure other than the Vacation Rental Residence covered by your confirmed, non-fraudulent reservation. e. Registered Guest is responsible for any accidental damage that exceeds $1,500. Damages for covered claims in excess of $1,500 or for uncovered claims will be charged to the Registered Guest’s credit card used to secure the reservation or at check-in and such charges are specifically authorized by Registered Guest. f. The Damage Waiver program is provided and administered by Destination Residences Hawaii LLC and is not an insurance policy. The Damage Waiver does not provide liability coverage and does not cover vehicles, guest personal items, or injuries to Registered Guest, guests, invitees, or other persons. This Property is managed by Destination Residences Hawaii LLC.

platbrownguy Jul 14, 2022 10:55 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 34425573)
that's a new one - popped up for Mauna Lani point..

i hope hyatt will shut down this nonsense

1. It says 3000 in words but 1500 in numbers, lol
2. It covers damage but only if you report it, lol
3. It's supposedly in place of a traditional deposit. I would tell them that every other hotel in the system is fine with a traditional deposit, they can pre-authorize my card for 1500 if they want but they're not getting a $79 nonrefundable scam fee.

It's one thing to agree to something like this in lieu of a pre-auth (and the property would be within its rights to request a $1500+ preauth--I imagine many folks who pay with debit cards and who would balk at such a preauth, for instance, are the same folks who, statistically, are more likely to cause thousands of dollars in damage from parties/smoking/drug use). But making this fee mandatory is a cash grab and ought to be illegal.

antonius66 Jul 14, 2022 10:55 am

Uh... what?

josephstern Jul 14, 2022 11:00 am

Aren't they essentially inviting people to do up $1500 worth of damage "accidentally"? Who will care if they put dishwasher detergent in the washing machine or flush a hand towel?

This seems like a stupid move from a few angles.

VegasGambler Jul 14, 2022 12:22 pm

I would just tell them outright that if they charge this fee I'm smashing the TV. Unintentionally, of course.

bostontraveler Jul 14, 2022 1:44 pm

Tweet it to Hyatt and copy TPG and a few other travel bloggers... see how much fun that will create!

VegasGambler Jul 14, 2022 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 34426140)
Tweet it to Hyatt and copy TPG and a few other travel bloggers... see how much fun that will create!

While there is a carveout for intentional damage, I don't see anything about gross negligence or abject stupidity.
  • "I wanted to see if it would float"
  • "I'm practicing levitation"
  • "My fastball got away from me"

bostontraveler Jul 14, 2022 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 34426265)
While there is a carveout for intentional damage, I don't see anything about gross negligence or abject stupidity.
  • "I wanted to see if it would float"
  • "I'm practicing levitation"
  • "My fastball got away from me"

I think you quoted the wrong post.

Point is it's ludicrous.

Make it public. The press will have a field day with this one. And Hyatt will likely put pressure on the hotel to back off.

These are the kinds of ridiculous fees that should be banned outright.

But considering "consumer protection" is far more lax in the US than in many countries the only way to handle it is to name and shame. Hit them in the wallet.

59Impala Jul 14, 2022 2:38 pm

So like airlines have the „no-fly list“ (which is a good thing), we could start a „no-stay list“, which would be a good thing :D

myperks Jul 14, 2022 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 34426292)
I think you quoted the wrong post.

Point is it's ludicrous.

Make it public. The press will have a field day with this one. And Hyatt will likely put pressure on the hotel to back off.

These are the kinds of ridiculous fees that should be banned outright.

But considering "consumer protection" is far more lax in the US than in many countries the only way to handle it is to name and shame. Hit them in the wallet.

maybe for a hotel or hotel-affiliated property, the fee seems ridiculous.

but some of the timeshare or vacation resorts I’ve been to have these “insurance” tacked on as part of the reservation (in addition to “cleaning fees”). Makes me think the property has been doing prior to coming into the Hyatt world.

jayer Jul 14, 2022 5:33 pm

Like many Destination by Hyatt Residence properties, this appears to be a resort condo type of property. (You can also book units on Vrbo and Airbnb and who knows what other channels). Almost certainly many or all units are individually owned, rather than a single landlord with a Hyatt management contract. Non-refundable non-negotiable insurance is the individually-owned unit equivalent of a destination fee.

Good luck getting it waived in lieu of a deposit if it is a listed charge at the time of booking.

josephstern Jul 14, 2022 5:40 pm

Way cheaper than a typical resort fee if you stay for a few nights.

bostontraveler Jul 14, 2022 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 34426766)
Way cheaper than a typical resort fee if you stay for a few nights.

Not the point.

It's not appropriate.

notquiteaff Jul 14, 2022 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 34426350)
but some of the timeshare or vacation resorts I’ve been to have these “insurance” tacked on as part of the reservation (in addition to “cleaning fees”). Makes me think the property has been doing prior to coming into the Hyatt world.

I recently booked a vacation rental (whole house) in Mexico through a local agency. They want a $500 deposit in cash to cover damage or a non-refundable $75 “insurance” fee. I knew this before I booked and just factored the $75 into the total rental cost (just like the fairly modest cleaning fee). If the deposit was a credit card hold, I would take that, but I don’t want to chase after my $500 in cash at checkout day.

mecabq Jul 14, 2022 7:12 pm

Taking a cue from the rental car industry I suppose.