"Damage waiver fee"

Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:32 pm

Obviously this feels like (and arguably is) a ripoff by a hotel. But I'll say that as an short-term rental operator there are many hosting companies and 3rd party insurance providers that offer the same type of product and will typically require that to be paid by the guest. Even airbnb in a sense does this for all its bookings, part of its fee goes towards insurance for the stay (although it isn't as comprehensive as what the others offer)
Tami likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by josephstern
Aren't they essentially inviting people to do up $1500 worth of damage "accidentally"? Who will care if they put dishwasher detergent in the washing machine or flush a hand towel?

This seems like a stupid move from a few angles.
Me: Hello, front desk. I paid $79 to cause up to $1500 in damage to my room. Could you send the manager to watch so that I don't exceed $1500? Oh, and a late checkout please....I need an extra hour!

Front desk: You can't do that sir!

Me: Yes, I can! Send up the manager because I'm about to destroy the phone and won't be able to take calls. Thanks!
steveholt and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Me: Hello, front desk. I paid $79 to cause up to $1500 in damage to my room. Could you send the manager to watch so that I don't exceed $1500? Oh, and a late checkout please....I need an extra hour!

Front desk: You can't do that sir!

Me: Yes, I can! Send up the manager because I'm about to destroy the phone and won't be able to take calls. Thanks!
Accidentally
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:13 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
The fee may be waived for Globalists
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This is the kind of crap thought up by people in executive offices who've never actually worked the front lines in a hotel.
bostontraveler and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I'm not sure infrequent Hawaii visitors are understanding the situation well. IF you pull up Maui availability, you will get a few true hotels and a string of (mostly not that recent build) condominium complexes. It's not like Hyatt represents all or even most of the units in the complex. You will generally find Hyatt-bookable inventory limited as to room types and number of units. You may not even be checking in at an on-site Front Desk. Not to mention they are telling you the terms of rental; not asking you to pick an option.

The complex we frequent with some regularity has very few "Hyatt" rooms. Most rent through Vrbo or Airbnb; something else similar, or even direct from the unit owner. If you want to go the deposit route those may be available to you. (Our "regular" unit owner will go deposit IF and only, you rent direct, if you have rented from her before, and she is comfortable with you. Otherwise, she insists on the insurance route).

The insurance thing is becoming more of the norm since it keeps the owner out of court trying to get blood out of a turnip if the damages exceed the deposit. Or if there is a dispute what the amount should be. (We met a woman on the beach who owned a unit around the corner from where we were renting. She was on-island that month dealing with a trashed unit being repaired).

Generally I prefer a hotel arrangement over a pseudo-hotel condo hybrid. This is one of the reasons why. But I suppose it can also be your protection from a dishonest unit owner trying to creatively refinance updates..

Last edited by jayer; Jul 15, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by jayer
I'm not sure infrequent Hawaii visitors are understanding the situation well. IF you pull up Maui availability, you will get a few true hotels and a string of (mostly not that recent build) condominium complexes. It's not like Hyatt represents all or even most of the units in the complex. You will generally find Hyatt-bookable inventory limited as to room types and number of units. You may not even be checking in at an on-site Frond Desk. Not to mention they are telling you the terms of rental; not asking you to pick an option.

The complex we frequent with some regularity has very few "Hyatt" rooms. Most rent through Vrbo or Airbnb; something else similar, or even direct from the unit owner. If you want to go the deposit route those may be available to you. (Our "regular" unit owner will go deposit IF and only, you rent direct, if you have rented from her before, and she is comfortable with you. Otherwise, she insists on the insurance route).

The insurance thing is becoming more of the norm since it keeps the owner out of court trying to get blood out of a turnip if the damages exceed the deposit. Or if there is a dispute what the amount should be. (We met a woman on the beach who owned a unit around the corner from where we were renting. She was on-island that month dealing with a trashed unit being repaired).

Generally I prefer a hotel arrangement over a pseudo-hotel condo hybrid. PThis is one of the reasons why. But I suppose it can also be your protection from the renter from a dishonest unit owner trying to creatively refinance updates..
Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing.
But quite frankly if Hyatt is selling it and earning revenue it should be the one carrying the insurance and dealing with the legalities- not offloading them onto the customer as a new revenue stream.
Thats the part I find obnoxious.
Fortunately this ever increasing long list of additional fees and charges is banned in a large part of the world.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jayer

Generally I prefer a hotel arrangement over a pseudo-hotel condo hybrid. This is one of the reasons why. But I suppose it can also be your protection from the renter from a dishonest unit owner trying to creatively refinance updates..
Usually if i book through hyatt the cost is significantly higher that booking the same or similar unit directly or via vrbo and such. If they start adding nonsensical extras on top of inflated pricing i'll skip hyatt middleman altogether. So far it seems to be limited to a rogue or overzealous property or two. I booked several destinations properties recently and this was my first time seeing this addon on hyatt site...

I sent an email to consumer affairs - hopefully they'll look into that...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:50 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Another article that OMAAT picks up from FT and posts as his own…unless OP is OMAAT, which I doubt

https://onemileatatime.com/news/hote...ge-waiver-fee/

Last edited by 59Impala; Jul 18, 2022 at 11:15 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Another article thar OMAAT picks up from FT and posts as his ownunless OP is OMAAT, which I doubt

https://onemileatatime.com/news/hote...ge-waiver-fee/
But he did credit the OP...
MatthewLAX and Tami like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Another article thar OMAAT picks up from FT and posts as his own…unless OP is OMAAT, which I doubt
OMAAT was lucky9876coins on FT. Hasn’t contributed on FT in over five years, but apparently still harvests information from the site.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
OMAAT was lucky9876coins on FT. Hasnt contributed on FT in over five years, but apparently still harvests information from the site.
What's the difference between "harvesting information" and "reading"? This isn't a closed forum.
Tami likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by steveholt
What's the difference between "harvesting information" and "reading"? This isn't a closed forum.
I read messages and use some of the information to improve my own travel experiences. If I re-packaged the information to sell on a blog, I would call that “harvesting”. I didn’t say it’s a closed forum or not allowed.
59Impala and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am glad this is being noted by blogs (and Matthew, Juha and others please voice your thoughts too) - more publicity should at least make corporate aware...

I did get a response from consumer affairs - basically they (or perhaps a particular agent as i doubt that was escalated) suggest that anything goes since condo property "follows different rules than a traditional hotel".. Globs dont get a waiver but hey they fixed the wording on coverage

And over the last couple days it spread to most if not all HI Destination properties so they are going for it... so far it is not showing up for colorado ones..

Dear ..,

Thank you for contacting Hyatt; I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The Mauna Lani Point is a condo rental property which follows different rules than a traditional hotel. The $79.00 Damage Waiver Fee eliminates the traditional security deposit usually needed for this type of vacation rental. Globalist would not be exempt from this fee. You are able to download a copy of the waiver from the Mauna Lani Point website.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ha...ni-point/koaol

They have fixed the wording on the waiver. It now says "for up to
FIFTEEN HUNDRED AND NO/100 DOLLARS ($1,500.00)"

Best regards,
Guest Care Support

Last edited by azepine00; Jul 16, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I read messages and use some of the information to improve my own travel experiences. If I re-packaged the information to sell on a blog, I would call that harvesting. I didnt say its a closed forum or not allowed.
The post isn't being "sold" on a blog. It's not some deal or secret. It's information being shared to improve other people's travel experiences, which are just as valid and important as yours. It's also more likely to actually result in something being done about the issue, since more people will read that post than the FT thread.
Tami and pchanxx like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.