Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What am I missing regarding these rates why would I pay more points and more money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What am I missing regarding these rates why would I pay more points and more money

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP

I’ve seen this at a couple hotels maybe I just don’t understand what the LP stands for

Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Some sort of promotional rate. They still show the standard rate to demonstrate how good a deal the promotion is.

Promotion rates typically, but not always, have more restrictive cancellation policies, so that's always a good thing to check.
broncophil and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:26 pm

Assuming that is a Cat 5 property, the Points and Cash rate for a standard suite is 16,000 points + cash (50% of the points for a suite award + 50% of the suite cash rate). The "Room upgrades on paid nights" rate is 6,000 points for a standard suite with the $465 being the eligible room rate that you would be upgrading. I don't usually see those suite points upgrade to a paid reservation listed as an option. For properties where the suite rate is substantially higher than the eligible room rate, that can be a nice savings and a good point redemption!
broncophil likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

When I asked, the phone rep said Lp is Loyalty Program. I didn't ask why it's Lp rather than LP on the web site.
broncophil likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
Originally Posted by serpens
When I asked, the phone rep said Lp is Loyalty Program. I didn't ask why it's Lp rather than LP on the web site.
That makes no sense. Cause they both require points from the said “loyalty program”
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
It's because you are looking at two different ways to get to a suite.

There is a standard offer to pay rack rate for a standard room plus 6000pts per night to upgrade to a suite.

The other one is a 50% points and cash rate for the normal cash and normal points rate for the suite.
broncophil and rogo like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's just overlap between different rates. Neither logic nor consistency is required. Though you'd have to be brain dead to do the points plus cash rate vs. the upgrade. The upgrade can be a great deal when it's offered.
broncophil and Cat88L3 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by broncophil
That makes no sense.
No argument from me.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Neither logic nor consistency is required.
That's a good summary.
broncophil likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
No argument from me.

That's a good summary.
It's just a display issue

The only real issue problem is that they are showing the pts+cash rate while the upgrade is available. When that's no longer available (i believe it requires a certain room type (standard room? deluxe room?) to be available so you have something to upgrade from) then they should show pts + cash.

It's not that different from an airline that might have 10 different coach fares available that have different booking codes but are otherwise identical. They will generally only display the cheapest one that's bookable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.