Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is WOH losing control to enforce hotels to make standard redemption rooms available?

Is WOH losing control to enforce hotels to make standard redemption rooms available?

Old May 31, 2022, 1:09 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

There seems to be a worsening trend @ "World of Hyatt" with more hotels starting to game the system when it comes time to playing fair with standard award room redemption availability.
The Hyatt Centric Waikiki is notorious for this (more excuses than bad politicians) I now boycott the hotel for revenue or reward in principal.
Post renovation Park Hyatt Aviara apparently as well.

Frequently I have read others frustrated and upset in this forum and heard from those emailing me asking about Andaz Maui
where its also more difficult but not impossible to book award nights
I still find a number of World of Hyatt hotels to not game the system and play fair however this cancer does seem to be spreading and Hyatt helpless to control the bad actors business behavior.
Really what are the good folks from Hyatt thinking to turn a blind eye?
I'd be interested to hear of others experiences.

Today's View from a Wing thread made me revisit my own thoughts.
In all fairness there are still may Hyatt hotels that have stellar business behavior and I admire
Years ago in this forum I made a Gold standard list in the Gold Passport days to congratulate those exceptional Hyatt hotels that indeed play fair and deliver above expectations
and many of you here chimed in with their kudos too for their faves.

https://viewfromthewing.com/park-hya...t-award-stays/

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 31, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 2:00 pm

Agreed. Im trying to book rewards rooms in Maui for December, no redemption availability for Andaz and Hyatt Regency but plenty cash rate for basic rooms with over $1k per night, managed to grab a room at Hana-Maui resort for 30000 points/night where cash rate is $700/night with 4 nights stay. Seriously considering moving to Marriott, Wailea Marriott have redemption rooms for the whole month, and 5 nights for price of 4 in terms of redemptions, unfortunately I dont have enough points for my whole trip.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:12 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Still
Agreed. Im trying to book rewards rooms in Maui for December, no redemption availability for Andaz and Hyatt Regency but plenty cash rate for basic rooms with over $1k per night, managed to grab a room at Hana-Maui resort for 30000 points/night where cash rate is $700/night with 4 nights stay. Seriously considering moving to Marriott, Wailea Marriott have redemption rooms for the whole month, and 5 nights for price of 4 in terms of redemptions, unfortunately I dont have enough points for my whole trip.
There's plenty of availability at HR Maui the 1st 3 weeks of December, with most nights at off-peak rates, or 21K points per night. If you're looking at just before or after the 25th, there's no standard rooms available for points or cash. Given this time frame, that's totally understandable and definitely not evidence of any gaming room availability.
UA-NYC, craigthemif and heartluo like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:23 pm

Yes, dates are just before Christmas, maybe they are not gaming but didnt go well with you can book awards rooms if cash rooms are available, Marriott never said that but I can still use points for their rooms, to me that makes a difference for holiday seasons with family time.
Edit You said no cash room available as well, didnt know that
Old May 31, 2022, 2:42 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I just posted on the PH aviara thread after talking to my concierge about it. The number of these higher-end/points-rich hotels are increasing each year. We all need to contact our concierges + express our concerns respectively to [email protected]

Leaves a bad taste. If you're going to block availability when rooms are clearly available, why would you join your hotels to be part of the Hyatt portfolio in the first place? I don't get it.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
PH Aviara Ive found tons of availability just it seems to be peak dates.

What I feel like happened is that loads of people noticed both the Peak Date change coming up and booked based on that, then kids of people noticed the category change and booked based on that. So you have tons of people whove booked prospective bookings with (IIRC) a 72 hour cancellation policy so even if they dont fulfill those trips you wont know until 72 hours prior.

I definitely do not believe its the property playing games but rather that loads of people booked prospectively to avoid the cost increases, which is definitely valid.

HC Waikiki Ill admit does play games with Award availability and theyve admitted as much to me. They mostly just dont allow award bookings for 1-2 nights but will allow them for 3-4+ night stays from my experience.

I wish Hyatt would at bare minimum create an Avenue for those wishing to book using a TSU as they are then guaranteed not to be using a Standard Room and therefore wouldnt require standard room availability logically. Im then wondering if Hyatt could/would find a way to circumvent the standard room availability to book using a TSU. Especially considering TSUs are almost exclusively held by Globalists in normal times.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Still
Yes, dates are just before Christmas, maybe they are not gaming but didnt go well with you can book awards rooms if cash rooms are available, Marriott never said that but I can still use points for their rooms, to me that makes a difference for holiday seasons with family time.
Edit You said no cash room available as well, didnt know that
Marriott will absolutely offer you rooms for points - at about 0.5c/pt that is - some (3% ish ) already price that way others will kick in next year... if you can get awards at fixed rate that fit your needs do it this year...
UA-NYC and Still like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
My experience has been that award availability in the US (including Hawaii) is much easier to find at Marriott properties (for more than .5 cents per point - my value is .8 or higher - just booked one for 1.2 and am staying this weekend at one for 1.1) than at Hyatt properties.

The award availability games at some Hyatt properties is off-putting. I would love to try the Andaz Maui, but it's far too frustrating.

Now, Marriott in Canada seems to play some games with the definition of a standard room.

Still though, Hyatt award availability is a much easier game than trying to book a Web Special award with AA.
MarkOK likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Accors Southwest-like policy of you can throw points at any room we have- we just wont calculate the amount needed based on deep discount promo rates is starting to look better and better. If all the other major players are going to floating award rates based on cash pricing too, at least Accor doesnt seem to limit the number of room available for award stays.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Let's add HR Mission Bay to the list.

The program is still far better than any other, but if Hyatt doesn't crack down, we will continue to see more and more of this bad behavior and at some point it has a material impact on program value.
Originally Posted by azepine00
Marriott will absolutely offer you rooms for points - at about 0.5c/pt that is - some (3% ish ) already price that way others will kick in next year... if you can get awards at fixed rate that fit your needs do it this year...
It's pretty easy right now to redeem Marriott at 1 cpp or higher.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Kacee
Let's add HR Mission Bay to the list.

The program is still far better than any other, but if Hyatt doesn't crack down, we will continue to see more and more of this bad behavior and at some point it has a material impact on program value.

It's pretty easy right now to redeem Marriott at 1 cpp or higher.
For me the material impact is here to some fair degree because standard room availability
is just one part of the important equation
Shrinking elite breakfast benefits at select properties with no consistency, higher than ever
redemption costs for premium hotels more often than
not with a bottle of cheap water and no amenity points or amenity doesn’t make for a stellar
top tier experience now or historically
This isn’t to say the WOH sky is falling either but it’s slowly taking its toll as well as Hyatts
failure to freshen/ evolve the program
It’s well known in the industry that loyalty programs most evolve and change overtime
to stay relevant

So perhaps this is a bit of tough love on Hyatt but it’s competitors have all freshened their programs
even if no program is the winner or has it all
Even the tired staid frugal IHG Rewards .A for effort even if Hyatt customer service is vastly superior
I’ll try to stay on the topic of standard award room availability 😏
Old May 31, 2022, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Accors Southwest-like policy of you can throw points at any room we have- we just wont calculate the amount needed based on deep discount promo rates is starting to look better and better. If all the other major players are going to floating award rates based on cash pricing too, at least Accor doesnt seem to limit the number of room available for award stays.
not up to date interested to learn more
Old May 31, 2022, 10:48 pm

Andaz San Diego is the F'ing worst with these games. They won't even let you pay CASH to book a single damn Saturday night many weekends. That being said, I love the property and consider it a battle of wits to get what I want with points. I generally win in the end.

But it is freaking annoying. Marriott doesn't let its properties play these stupid games. This is a legitimate complaint to have against Hyatt and something that I think Hyatt needs to nip in the butt before it pisses more and more people off. They don't have the footprint to fall back on.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Arrow

Originally Posted by Matt4200
PH Aviara I’ve found tons of availability just it seems to be peak dates.

What I feel like happened is that loads of people noticed both the Peak Date change coming up and booked based on that, then kids of people noticed the category change and booked based on that. So you have tons of people who’ve booked prospective bookings with (IIRC) a 72 hour cancellation policy so even if they don’t fulfill those trips you won’t know until 72 hours prior.

I definitely do not believe it’s the property playing games but rather that loads of people booked prospectively to avoid the cost increases, which is definitely valid.

HC Waikiki I’ll admit does play games with Award availability and they’ve admitted as much to me. They mostly just don’t allow award bookings for 1-2 nights but will allow them for 3-4+ night stays from my experience.

I wish Hyatt would at bare minimum create an Avenue for those wishing to book using a TSU as they are then guaranteed not to be using a Standard Room and therefore wouldn’t require standard room availability logically. I’m then wondering if Hyatt could/would find a way to circumvent the standard room availability to book using a TSU. Especially considering TSU’s are almost exclusively held by Globalists in normal times.
If a hotel has the blessing of Hyatt to implement its own rules I’d at least
like to see disclosure when I go to book like we reserve the right to limit award bookings to a 2 or 3 night min
of course it’s a double standard as they wont do it on a revenue room
But to not disclose is poor form.I had a Hyatt Conceirge look into this and they too were stumped they couldn’t book a room for an entire year
josephstern likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:43 pm

Does Ventana Big Sur fall under playing with availability or is it just that great of a property?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.