Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is WOH losing control to enforce hotels to make standard redemption rooms available?

Is WOH losing control to enforce hotels to make standard redemption rooms available?

Old Jun 8, 22, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DealDetective View Post
Ironically, I had no problem booking an award stay at Aviara, but was surprised that I could not book a standard award night at Manchester Grand. They are offering free night awards for suites, but not a standard room. When I looked at the paid room availability, they had no base level rooms at a publicly-available rate, but my corporate code yielded a standard 2 queen room! Clearly they have the base level rooms, but are only offering them for non-public rates.

At Manchester Grand 2 Queens is not a standard room.

1 King Bed and 2 Double Beds are the Standard Rooms.

You can check any dates all through next July and youíll never once find an award stay for 2 Queens as itís not considered a standard room at Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego, we frequently stay there.
Old Jun 8, 22, 4:32 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Ironically, I had no problem booking an award stay at Aviara, but was surprised that I could not book a standard award night at Manchester Grand. They are offering free night awards for suites, but not a standard room. When I looked at the paid room availability, they had no base level rooms at a publicly-available rate, but my corporate code yielded a standard 2 queen room! Clearly they have the base level rooms, but are only offering them for non-public rates.
I hear ya Booked the Marriott Autograph collection for the 4th couldn't get into Manchester but they have been so good to me over
the decades I'll probably look the other way If it isn't the norm going forward
DealDetective likes this.
Old Jun 8, 22, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
At Manchester Grand 2 Queens is not a standard room.

1 King Bed and 2 Double Beds are the Standard Rooms.

You can check any dates all through next July and youíll never once find an award stay for 2 Queens as itís not considered a standard room at Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego, we frequently stay there.
Thanks for clarifying that.
Old Jun 8, 22, 5:47 pm

Thanks for clarifying that.
No worries I had a hard time believing that at first but since they have the 2 Double Beds Room and the 1 King Room theyíre good.

Though personally I donít see any difference between the 2 Doubles and 2 Queens itís a designation that allows them to have an unofficial Base Room bookable on 3rd party sites for cheap sadly.
DealDetective likes this.
Old Jun 8, 22, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
No worries I had a hard time believing that at first but since they have the 2 Double Beds Room and the 1 King Room theyíre good.

Though personally I donít see any difference between the 2 Doubles and 2 Queens itís a designation that allows them to have an unofficial Base Room bookable on 3rd party sites for cheap sadly.
Tend to look at their whole record over the course of many years.Have not noticed game playing even when large conferences are in town
Added to that a GM that has been there many years,a dedicated team with exceptional elite recognition.And kudos for clarifying the base standard rooms
Old Jun 8, 22, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Tend to look at their whole record over the course of many years.Have not noticed game playing even when large conferences are in town
Added to that a GM that has been there many years,a dedicated team with exceptional elite recognition.And kudos for clarifying the base standard rooms
Itís a fantastic property with historically amazing customer service and amenities and the best Grand Club in the US IMHO.
Old Jun 8, 22, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

If these are the violators sign me up for more business with them lol and well said Matt4200
Old Jun 9, 22, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
If these are the violators sign me up for more business with them lol and well said Matt4200
I'm embarrassed I suggested they were not playing fairly. IME, 2Q rooms are usually base level, so I was surprised I couldn't book an award other than suites. (BTW, not a bad redemption for Hospitality suites!) It did give me a good excuse to try PH Aviara.
Old Jun 9, 22, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

I'm embarrassed I suggested they were not playing fairly. IME, 2Q rooms are usually base level, so I was surprised I couldn't book an award other than suites. (BTW, not a bad redemption for Hospitality suites!) It did give me a good excuse to try PH Aviara.
Its human nature to expect the worst in others sadly and in the past few years we have seen more bad actors than in my entire lifetime.
Though our shared participation here we learn from one another and weed out the offenders.If others choose to support an offending property that is their right
Won't likely be me though.I too have been quick to judge at first glance.Its all about taking the time to do your due diligence and get the facts and comparisons

Appreciate everyone for sharing their experiences here in this thread and in this forum which helps all of us to decide who gets our business
be it Hyatt or other competitor.If Hyatt has indeed lost control of select properties who wish to game Hyatt and its customers
Perhaps create an official black list of hotels for shaming as well as a Gold standard list of the those properties that rise above and beyond

For years I have networked privately with other seasoned global elite trusted travelers to learn of properties to avoid or book in every program worldwide.
I think we all wanted to treated fairly/reasonably with regard to booking awards/revenue
End experience & property cooperation matter too.Granted its never going to be a perfect world
But many times the stars do align
Old Jun 11, 22, 1:32 pm

Hotel de Louvre in Paris has also recently started playing games by making it impossible to book a standard room with points. More details are in the thread for that property.
Old Jun 11, 22, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyeranon247 View Post
Hotel de Louvre in Paris has also recently started playing games by making it impossible to book a standard room with points. More details are in the thread for that property.
While every date Iíve checked has no award availability, Iíve also noticed that every date Iíve checked is off peak (shows 21k redemption). I think there may be a correlation there where people booked up rooms fro prospective dates because theyíre were at a discount.
Old Jun 12, 22, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyeranon247 View Post
I noticed this in April of this year when I was trying to book a backup plan for the PH after it went to Cat 8. Neither I nor the MHC were able to find availability for a base room for all of 2022. May have changed since then, but Iíve written off the Hotel de Louvre due to the games. As with conflicts of interest, the appearance of game playing is just as significant as actually playing games with award inventory.

Search this Thread