Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Weird question. Does the recipient of the GOH free night have to know who gifted it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird question. Does the recipient of the GOH free night have to know who gifted it?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP

I know. This is a super weird question.

I was gonna give away a free weekend via GOH to a teacher at my kids school.. but it’s an anonymous auction type thing.

Does my name actually show up when the recipient checks in or any other time?

thanks
Old May 27, 2022, 2:00 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
The GOH reservations I made never showed my name. The WoH number may appear, but I doubt the recipient could link that to you.

I see no issue gifting it anonymously. The only thing is, you have to make the reservation. So the guest would have to contact you, that could be the only touchpoint linking the reservation to you.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
So the guest would have to contact you
Not sure why the guest would have to contact the person booking it.

It would not show their name to the guest at check in or anywhere on the folio it would not mention the globalist’s name.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:45 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Matt4200

It would not show their name to the guest at check in or anywhere on the folio it would not mention the globalist’s name.
Is the OP picking the weekend or is the recipient? If the latter some contact would be required. Personally I'd recommend against the former unless the OP is certain the gifted stay would be welcomed.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 6:35 pm

The reservation email shouldn't show it. However, the last time I booked a GOH reservation for someone, the check-in agent proactively said "I see this's booked by Mr. ezak". Funny thing is, I was there myself (because I've maxed out the promotion of that quarter, I booked a GOH reservation under my SO's name to get some extra points) so the incident was harmless. But I did find it unprofessional, and it could've been unnecessarily awkward in some cases, like yours. Apparently they can see it in their system, though this was the only time (that I heard of) when hotel staff disclosed this information.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:09 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA

because someone has to tell the OP what dates and hotel to book.
broncophil and craigthemif like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
because someone has to tell the OP what dates and hotel to book.
OP mentioned it was via an auction with pre-set dates so I’d guess it would be something like -

You’ve won a stay at Manchester Grand Hyatt on August 19th to the 21st.

Just an example as OP said they hope to remain fully anonymous.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I was considering gifting a GoH to a charity auction, but since in my case it would go to someone I don't know, my concern was getting stuck with a stranger's incidentals being charged to my credit card in error.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by JackE
I was considering gifting a GoH to a charity auction, but since in my case it would go to someone I don't know, my concern was getting stuck with a stranger's incidentals being charged to my credit card in error.
That could never happen it’s literally impossible.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by JackE
I guess this's highly unlikely, although if the person staying decides to no-show, the donor's credit card could be on the hook for that cancellation charge (first night rate). Personally, I'd be more concerned with this, especially if the person staying is not familiar with how award stay works in terms of cancellation, and thought they can just forfeit it when they can't go at the last minute.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 7:08 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
1) The recipient will not know the name as its not on the email/app
2) The receptionist and the WOH line knows the name of the person who gifted, and they can accidentally mention the name to the recipient

I wouldn't recommend doing GOH for an auction.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 7:41 am
skj

OP mentioned it was via an auction with pre-set dates so I’d guess it would be something like -

You’ve won a stay at Manchester Grand Hyatt on August 19th to the 21st.

Just an example as OP said they hope to remain fully anonymous.
You might want to read the OP again. Nothing was mentioned about "pre-set dates" and it was to a gift to a specific person (a teacher) and not some random auction winner. Even if it was to any high bidder, there would still be some communication needed so the donor could make the reservation in the recipient's name.

Unless the OP is certain the dates and location work for the recipient, I'd strongly recommend against giving something like "a stay at Manchester Grand Hyatt on August 19th to the 21st". There's no assurance the recipient could actually use it and then you get into the questions raised by ezak regarding cancellations and no-shows.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 8:42 am
skj

Getting a bit off topic here ... My wife is a teacher and I was mentioning this thread to her. She said that legally and ethically, she can only accept gifts valued at $50 or less. Otherwise she would risk losing her certification. I'm sure limits, if they exist at all, vary by school and jurisdiction but I'd look into this before putting the teacher in a potentially awkward situation.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by skj
Getting a bit off topic here ... My wife is a teacher and I was mentioning this thread to her. She said that legally and ethically, she can only accept gifts valued at $50 or less. Otherwise she would risk losing her certification. I'm sure limits, if they exist at all, vary by school and jurisdiction but I'd look into this before putting the teacher in a potentially awkward situation.
Limits may also vary for anonymous gifts... an underlying reason for the rule is to discourage bribery for grades, standardized test scores, etc. So it makes sense for a truly anonymous gift to be treated differently in places where it is.

Also it sounds like some sort of charity thing set up by the school anyhow as opposed to a potentially problematic ad hoc gift.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
The Globalist’s name and WoH account number may not be visible to the guest, but it is noted in the reservation and it’s in the realm of possibility that the person checking the giftee in will mention the Globalist’s name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.