Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Condesa Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Condesa Mexico City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by b8brooks
Just FYI - it seems like the "lp suite pts upgr" rate is pricing at $39 + 6000, at least for dates I checked in March and April. This seems like a good deal....right?
wow great deal! I booked a few nights, thanks!!
b8brooks likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:44 pm

whoa. weird. I snagged one. but it looks like they're actively delisting them as I type this. I wonder if they'll honor them.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:51 pm

Now published on View From The Wing. Say goodbye to this deal and reserve fast if you still find it.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like there are three Andaz Suites here. So my guess is that they’ll honor this good price since the deal is limited.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
Looks like there are three Andaz Suites here. So my guess is that they’ll honor this good price since the deal is limited.
Yeah, I saw this mentioned on a "small blog" and it blew up after I booked it. The inventory seemed very limited so logic says the deal should be honored.

The free upgrade to a suite isn't worth that much to me because I'm a Globalist, but I was attracted to the 6000 point rate, which I figure will never be seen again.

I've been meaning to get to Mexico City. I've travelled extensively around Latin America, but I've never been.to CDMX. I've seen plenty of stories questioning the city's safety, but I've also seen many people say the nice neighborhoods are safe. From previous experience, I suspect Mexico City will be safer than other Latin cities I've been to. And it seems like the Andaz is in about the safest location. Are the worst things about CDMX the traffic and noise?

It looks like my flight into MEX will arrive after midnight, so I was thinking of staying at an airport hotel and making it to the Andaz the next day. Would that be a reasonable idea? What's the best economical-but-practical way to the hotel?

I was also planning on spending a few days seeing the sights and relaxing outside the city. Not sure how to organize that. I assume I won't be renting a car. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 8:41 pm

I booked for 7 nights and had to inquire with the hotel whether or not a family with two young kids could stay in an Andaz Suite. They replied to me that it would be allowed with a rollaway bed, which would be $20/night. They noted that they found my reservation and could add the rollaway for me. So I concluded two things:

1) Wow, they used my email address to find my reservation. I made no comment of having a reservation nor did I give them my name.
2) They must have seen the mistake fare and are clearly planning to honor it, assuming I agreed to the rollaway charge.

Originally Posted by iahphx
The free upgrade to a suite isn't worth that much to me because I'm a Globalist, but I was attracted to the 6000 point rate, which I figure will never be seen again.
The cash rate of $39 was the steal. The 6000 points is the standard cost of upgrading to a suite on a standard rate...but $39 was obviously not intentional.

From previous experience, I suspect Mexico City will be safer than other Latin cities I've been to. And it seems like the Andaz is in about the safest location. Are the worst things about CDMX the traffic and noise?
Yeah the nice neighborhoods, which are basically a pricier western bubble, all feel very safe. The Andaz is very central to this entire area. If you stay in the bubble, it is indeed traffic and noise to complain about (and perhaps also the lack of affordable housing prices for locals)

It looks like my flight into MEX will arrive after midnight, so I was thinking of staying at an airport hotel and making it to the Andaz the next day. Would that be a reasonable idea? What's the best economical-but-practical way to the hotel?
I arrived with my family for our first time to CDMX around midnight, and initially I planned to stay at the Marriott at the airport purely due to safety reasons. But then a local acquaintance who had clearly been on the more cautious side of things in all of their recommendations to me, actually said that uber should be fine since it is tracked, there's very little complaints about using uber. When she said that, and given her propensity to warn me about many other things, I decided to just take an uber to the hotel despite the late arrival. And yeah, never felt worried or unsafe at all from the airport to the Hyatt Regency. It's a 24/7 city and the city was plenty vibrant at that hour. So my recommendation is uber.

I was also planning on spending a few days seeing the sights and relaxing outside the city. Not sure how to organize that. I assume I won't be renting a car. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Teotihuacan is an obvious destination outside the city. Definitely worth it. I'm not familiar with the areas nearby it, but if there's somewhere to stay out there that is relaxing then I'd go for it and just uber. Uber is very reasonable from the city to Teotihuacan. Farther afoot is San Miguel de Allende or Guanajuato. I know some people turn those into relaxing side trips for a few days.
iahphx likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 3:26 pm

projectmaximus it would have been preferable to wait to call Hyatt or the hotel directly. #thefirstruleofthefightclub
Old Oct 23, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
I also recommend Teotihuacan. Make sure to see the drawings/painting. I was told that is the best part. I took subway to Norte station then the bus there. It was less than $10 for the subway/bus (rt) and admission. I really liked Polanco (was staying at the Hyatt Regency). I thought food at El Turix was just ok. But super cheap for being in Polanco. When you going ?
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like it's now 6,000 points and $500+.

I went to Mexico City maybe four years ago and loved it and have been wanting to go back. Frankly, I found it perfectly safe. I mean, it's a big city, so there are the normal issues, and I'd guess it's less safe than LA or NY, but I'm not worried at all about visiting and enjoying again.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by katstarr
projectmaximus it would have been preferable to wait to call Hyatt or the hotel directly. #thefirstruleofthefightclub
I get that. I really thought it was an innocuous question and didn't think they'd connect my question to any particular reservation. I have emailed several dozen Hyatts in the past to inquire about about capacity restrictions on particular rooms.

Anyway, apologies if my action was the first flag that led to the eventual end to this deal.
katstarr likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So can these suites be transferred under Guest of Honor? Does that apply to cash+points or is that for points reservations only?

I have two rooms so we can bring another couple, and I'd like them to qualify for breakfast. But if not, of course, it's still a great deal.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:49 am

Well here's something interesting I just noticed. It looks like rooms at this hotel are completely unavailable for points bookings now. Moreover, even when looking at cash rates, the Andaz Suite (the one that used to be 6000 pts + $39) is no longer available to select. My reservations (in Feb and Apr, both taking advantage of the fare) both still say "Andaz Suite" as my room type, though.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah - maybe they're busy rebranding the janitorial closet in the basement as the "Andaz Suite."

I wish I had saved a pic of the description . . .

Edit: Dan has it:

Old Oct 25, 2022, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Yeah - maybe they're busy rebranding the janitorial closet in the basement as the "Andaz Suite."

I wish I had saved a pic of the description . . .

Edit: Dan has it:

It's also still on the hotel's website when you click "Rooms" and go to the suites.
josephstern likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:47 pm

Hmm - ok, so I snagged one of the$39+6K suites -- but am about to release it. As good of a deal as it is, it's probably unrealistic for me to schlep the whole family/crew down there -- and we'd have to end up booking another room anyway. And I need the points back for other things right now.

So -- not at all sure if it'll actually become bookable online, or even if it does at what price -- but there's a 7-night stay from 4/8 coming back into inventory in 3...2...1...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.