Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Grayson New York City [Unbound] REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Grayson New York City [Unbound] REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2022, 5:45 am

Recently had a one night stay in December and my experience matched that of the commenter above. Check-in was slow (only one first deck person) at ~6p and no description of globalist benefit. The room was relatively small but at least the bathroom was a separate room (can’t take that for granted in NY). It was quiet (I was on higher floor) and being new always helps the bed / linens quality. Breakfast was comped (looked to be practically identical menu to Hyatt Union Square). I would stay there again - if traveling with others might push for an upgrade/book larger room.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Wondering how is the breakfast here compare to the Andaz 5th close by? Booked one night stay here end of this month but judging by the early reviews (no room upgrade, tiny room.. etc) I may return to Andaz instead. Especially the minimal points difference compare to Andaz for our date at 17k vs 21k, and the huge cash rate difference at $290 vs $840 which makes Andaz seems like a better redemption.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zoneflyer
Wondering how is the breakfast here compare to the Andaz 5th close by? Booked one night stay here end of this month but judging by the early reviews (no room upgrade, tiny room.. etc) I may return to Andaz instead. Especially the minimal points difference compare to Andaz for our date at 17k vs 21k, and the huge cash rate difference at $290 vs $840 which makes Andaz seems like a better redemption.
The Andaz is generally much better than the Grayson. For a similar price I would always go with the Andaz.
JoeWoodstock and zoneflyer like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zoneflyer
I only stayed here for the Unbound badge pickup. Andaz 5th Avenue is a much better points redemption and hotel.
lsquare and zoneflyer like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the info guys already cancelled here and booked Andaz.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 7:29 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
Or the comparable Marriotts (Ren Chelsea and Midtown) which completely evade the breakfast benefit.
The Ren Midtown has the lounge open for breakfast with continental breakfast and scrambled eggs, and rest of the time to get bottled water and soda. No evening service.

Yes, it's not cook to order, but they fulfilled the breakfast obligation.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The Ren Midtown has the lounge open for breakfast with continental breakfast and scrambled eggs, and rest of the time to get bottled water and soda. No evening service.

Yes, it's not cook to order, but they fulfilled the breakfast obligation.
Open on weekends? This property provides no breakfast alternative when the lounge is closed.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 12:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
Open on weekends? This property provides no breakfast alternative when the lounge is closed.
I am responding to your statement of "completely evade the breakfast benefit." It seems it needs to be qualified with on weekends.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I am responding to your statement of "completely evade the breakfast benefit." It seems it needs to be qualified with on weekends.
Fair enough. The lounge was closed for a very long time; during that period they provided nothing.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
The Andaz is generally much better than the Grayson. For a similar price I would always go with the Andaz.
So I have an upcoming reservation here for $206/night, which ends up being about $240 after tax (resort fee waived as a Globalist). I also have a Cat 1-7 award expiring that I won't otherwise have a use for so wondering if I should burn that for the Andaz instead. Ideally, I'd pay for the room at Grayson and then get the 20K points for an expired certificate but sounds like that's now very much YMMV. It's only one night, but a rare anniversary night away with my wife. What to do? What to do?
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by slariz
So I have an upcoming reservation here for $206/night, which ends up being about $240 after tax (resort fee waived as a Globalist). I also have a Cat 1-7 award expiring that I won't otherwise have a use for so wondering if I should burn that for the Andaz instead. Ideally, I'd pay for the room at Grayson and then get the 20K points for an expired certificate but sounds like that's now very much YMMV. It's only one night, but a rare anniversary night away with my wife. What to do? What to do?
Probably a much better free night stay at the Andaz than this Unbound mess.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by slariz
... Ideally, I'd pay for the room at Grayson and then get the 20K points for an expired certificate but sounds like that's now very much YMMV.
According to whom?
Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
According to whom?
It has been my understanding that you can get 20K points for expired Cat 1-7 certificates but it is now much more at the whim of your concierge, and not as rubber stamped as it was before.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver, Delta Platinum, AA Platinum Pro
Pretty lengthy review posted today over at The Points Guy. Lots of photos.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:16 pm

The wall is paper thin. I won’t stay here again cuz I’m very sensitive to noises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.