Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Category 8 Hotel Certificates 🤔

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Category 8 Hotel Certificates 🤔

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Lightbulb Category 8 Hotel Certificates 🤔

Do you think it would be a good idea for Hyatt to release this as a new milestone award? Refreshing the Hyatt app now shows 64 properties are now category 8s - thats more than half the amount of catgeory 7s 😐
Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Add it as a 100 night milestone.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:55 pm

Send that request to Hyatt consumer affairs then. Maybe if enough people say, hey how about making the 60 night certificate a cat8, maybe they will, especially since it makes basic sense.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Does any other hotel program offer a certificate that can be used at any hotel? I believe HIlton might? But I am not sure.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Does any other hotel program offer a certificate that can be used at any hotel? I believe HIlton might? But I am not sure.
Yes, Hilton does.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Chase Hyatt card used to have a two free night bonus good at any Hyatt property. I think in those days the top hotel was 30k points.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Chase Hyatt card used to have a two free night bonus good at any Hyatt property. I think in those days the top hotel was 30k points.
Those days Miraval was the highest property, and it could be used there…
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:32 am

As a person who always gets the Cat 7s, of course I think it's a good idea. But, as per FT, I suspect those who don't get them would think it's a horrible suggestion.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Add it as a 100 night milestone.

Id say it s/b based on the # of actual stays a person does rather then the total # of stays they have. The difference is CC stays earned wouldnt count and only BIB (butt in bed) stays would. But Im not sure Hyatt will beable to track this.

I wouldnt expect a Cat 8 cert until such time that the # of 8s increases alot more then the 64 today
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Id say it s/b based on the # of actual stays a person does rather then the total # of stays they have. The difference is CC stays earned wouldnt count and only BIB (butt in bed) stays would. But Im not sure Hyatt will beable to track this.

I wouldnt expect a Cat 8 cert until such time that the # of 8s increases alot more then the 64 today
I don't see why they would count nights stayed over CC nights. There is a reason that hotel chains (not only Hyatt) and now airlines (AA and to a lesser extent AS) have started giving status for CC spend. It's because it's profitable for them. If your actions make them money they want to keep you as a customer. Whether those actions are spending on a CC or staying in a hotel are irrelevant. All that matters is how much money you generate for them.

Within a few years I expect this to be the norm across most loyalty programs. Selling points and miles is profitable.
ceebee100 and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:31 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
This week's devaluation added 9 Cat 8 properties. Even with those 9, Hyatt properties account for only about 20% of all the Cat 8s. The other ~80% are SLH properties whose only attachment to Hyatt is a marketing arrangement.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't see why they would count nights stayed over CC nights. There is a reason that hotel chains (not only Hyatt) and now airlines (AA and to a lesser extent AS) have started giving status for CC spend. It's because it's profitable for them. If your actions make them money they want to keep you as a customer. Whether those actions are spending on a CC or staying in a hotel are irrelevant. All that matters is how much money you generate for them.

Within a few years I expect this to be the norm across most loyalty programs. Selling points and miles is profitable.
Look Im shooting myself in my foot with what I posted. But I still hold by it. eg a few yrs ago I got the JetBlue CC purchased my cards at supermkts , spent 50K which got me Mosaic status and a ton of pts. Im almost thru the stash I earned via my CC. Ive been on tons of B6 flights and the only thing I paid for was the Security fee of $5.60 which they pass onto the Govt. Yet I got my checked bags for free, free beer, back then More Space Seats were free etc etc, I dont believe B6 profited off of me due to my CC spend. And once Im done with my pts Im done with B6 since with LT status on AA & UA I can take a carry-on with a Basic fare for $0 and get checked bags and extra room seats for $0

So a person can Spend there way to Globalist with never actually staying a night using the CC, yea Hyatt will get some $$ but why give a top hotel away for that. I hated when the Carriers went to a Rev way for status since Id never get to the top again, BUT it was a very smart move for them to have done so , thats if they actually start taking care of those who Spend the $$. So by limiting a Cat8 cert to staying nights it would be geared to those who Hyatt s/b taking care of,IMO

For the record, should Hyatt do as I said then Id Never get a Cat 8 cert. this year I have more then 40 nights only 2 of them were Rev stays since it wasnt cost effective to use my pts
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Look Im shooting myself in my foot with what I posted. But I still hold by it. eg a few yrs ago I got the JetBlue CC purchased my cards at supermkts , spent 50K which got me Mosaic status and a ton of pts. Im almost thru the stash I earned via my CC. Ive been on tons of B6 flights and the only thing I paid for was the Security fee of $5.60 which they pass onto the Govt. Yet I got my checked bags for free, free beer, back then More Space Seats were free etc etc, I dont believe B6 profited off of me due to my CC spend. And once Im done with my pts Im done with B6 since with LT status on AA & UA I can take a carry-on with a Basic fare for $0 and get checked bags and extra room seats for $0

So a person can Spend there way to Globalist with never actually staying a night using the CC, yea Hyatt will get some $$ but why give a top hotel away for that. I hated when the Carriers went to a Rev way for status since Id never get to the top again, BUT it was a very smart move for them to have done so , thats if they actually start taking care of those who Spend the $$. So by limiting a Cat8 cert to staying nights it would be geared to those who Hyatt s/b taking care of,IMO

For the record, should Hyatt do as I said then Id Never get a Cat 8 cert. this year I have more then 40 nights only 2 of them were Rev stays since it wasnt cost effective to use my pts
This is the best type of Globalist... someone who's putting $150k a year on their WOH card. Hyatt are selling Chase at least 150k points a year at little to no cost on Hyatt's side since the Globalist don't actually stay at Hyatts.

But this is also a super edge case, even for Flyertalk.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if Hyatt (not the hotel, but Hyatt corporate) gets more money from a hotel when you stay for 2 nights, or from Chase when you spend $5000
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I wonder if Hyatt (not the hotel, but Hyatt corporate) gets more money from a hotel when you stay for 2 nights, or from Chase when you spend $5000
It's going to vary significantly by property. But I would say for most HP/HH properties (where rates are usually <$150 a night) then I would guess there's more money coming from selling Chase the points/EQN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.