Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is it time to step off the Hyatt bandwagon?

Is it time to step off the Hyatt bandwagon?

Old Jun 1, 22, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
Any of the current benefits or one in particular? I wouldn't leave Hyatt if they dropped GOH, for example. But if they took away the 4 suite upgrade awards that would be reason to leave. I think specificity on this matters.
Correct. GoH wouldn't matter to me as I've only used it twice in the last 5 years.
Other benefits like Suite Upgrades (complimentary upon check in or SUA), putting a $ limit on breakfast a la Hilton or late checkout would make me reconsider my allegiances.
Old Jun 1, 22, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Go on over to Marriott where, as a Titanium, I'm consistently lied to about suite availability, then told by Bonvoy support "you're only entitled to the best type of room you already booked, not a basic suite upgrade." Or you have to fight for late check out because the hotel claims "they're in a city with a convention center" and "what if everyone was a titanium member, we couldn't give late checkout to everybody."
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
My last hotel stays have been Four Seasons, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, Hyatt, Langham. My upcoming stays are Four Seasons, Hilton, boutique, Hyatt, Marriott. Increasingly I am looking at boutique hotels. Book based on hotel location, trip purpose, hotel quality, price. Mid to low level status at hotels is fine for most, and available via credit card. Don't book a subpar hotel just to stay loyal to a chain, too many good hotels are around to waste time doing that.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
My concern with Hyatt is that as they expand and get bigger they become more like Hilton and Marriott every year. I guess its inevitable at some point, they grow so large that they lose the special touch that has made staying with them as a Globalist so special over these past 10 years. I chuckle as I write this because I remember old Hyatt Diamond members 10 years ago complaining about Hyatt losing their way because they were getting to big and had too many top tier members. I guess its all relative.
@Adelphos you make a good point. Maybe I need to start looking at boutique hotels and let go of the status. I think this day will come, but not this year.
Old Jun 1, 22, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
It is hard to say right now. We will see what happens in the next recession. Hyatt has tried to maintain a standard despite every incentive not to. I will be loyal to them for now, but if things get worse, I may move on and just buy the room in the hotel most convenient to me.

At this point, I tend to buy Hyatt mostly for the service, not for the perks.
Old Jun 1, 22, 1:11 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
My concern with Hyatt is that as they expand and get bigger they become more like Hilton and Marriott every year. I guess its inevitable at some point, they grow so large that they lose the special touch that has made staying with them as a Globalist so special over these past 10 years. I chuckle as I write this because I remember old Hyatt Diamond members 10 years ago complaining about Hyatt losing their way because they were getting to big and had too many top tier members. I guess its all relative.
@Adelphos you make a good point. Maybe I need to start looking at boutique hotels and let go of the status. I think this day will come, but not this year.
If spend is not an issue, Four Seasons is great for special touches. Servers and staff go above and beyond to make you feel welcomed. And no need to chase status.

What I learned after years of business travel is that being a return customer is more important than status for the super special touches. For example, the Portland Hyatt Centric is the one I have recurrent visits the most, the staff and I know each other well, and am treated like family. The valet already knows what time I need my car by, and has it ready most of the time before I even ask. On the other hand, if I go to Big Sur/Napa, I'm just another Globalist without the warm personalized touches. I would recommend building relationships with the hotel that you visit the most often, and you'll get service above and beyond what Globalist will offer.
IAD_flyer and madmanshoney like this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Well, that is my problem, i don't tend to go to the same Hyatt's on a regular enough basis as I like to explore and try new places.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 6:13 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Well, that is my problem, i don't tend to go to the same Hyatt's on a regular enough basis as I like to explore and try new places.
The only way to know, is to try the boutiques out, and see if Hyatt is still worth it to you. Really depends on your travel patterns and your purchasing power.

Search this Thread