Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is it time to step off the Hyatt bandwagon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it time to step off the Hyatt bandwagon?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by js1993
2020, I believe.
No way, it was definitely before that. 2020 was free requal due to covid.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No way, it was definitely before that. 2020 was free requal due to covid.
I just Googled it and it was 2019.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I think they might have planned to get rid of it a year or two after introducing the credit card, but the pandemic overtook those plans in a rather dramatic fashion (much as the sheer comedy of Amtrak tightening up booking policies in...either February or early March 2020 only to have to reverse within a few weeks).
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I think they might have planned to get rid of it a year or two after introducing the credit card, but the pandemic overtook those plans in a rather dramatic fashion (much as the sheer comedy of Amtrak tightening up booking policies in...either February or early March 2020 only to have to reverse within a few weeks).
Hyatt announced the end of the 55-night re-qualifier about a year before the pandemic, but it didn't effectively go away until this year, since status earned in 2019 was extended through Feb. 28, 2022. (And nobody needed 55 or 60 to qualify or re-qualify in 2020 or 2021.)
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I'm not watching a video, I might have read an article.

Christ, Article a Video
Profanity within.
Jaimito Cartero and js1993 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by smilee
Being stuck at home for the past 2 years, and just about to travel international for the first time next month and wondering what it's like out there.
Sad.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are different ways to step off a bandwagon, not all of which involve an absolute and unqualified avoidance of the bandwagon.

Originally Posted by SP03
Agree with all of those observations, but which program hasn't devalued? No one should blindly stay loyal to a program, but it's equally silly to look at devaluations in the absolute terms and not see how they compare to the other programs.
There is more than one hotel loyalty program where I get a much higher return/rebate on my hotel spend now than I used to get 10 or 20 years ago. I can't say the same thing about Hyatt, Marriott and Hilton.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I just booked almost 90 nights at a hyatt regency, and their regency club is open all day. Can't wait to go back.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Just go away. I would appreciate it if there are fewer globalists staying at Hyatt properties. Good luck with bonvoy and hilton and ihg. Oh maybe best western will treat you well.
This is a very unhelpful and antagonistic post. The OP raises worthwhile ideas for discussion.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
This is a very unhelpful and antagonistic post. The OP raises worthwhile ideas for discussion.
No this is not a discuss worthy topic. More of an attempt to draw clicks for a scrupulous blog. What is there to discuss? Not to mention the frankly childish language. Bandwagon?
khabah likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by smilee
After watching the video on Hyatt by FM I want to start out by saying I generally agree with many of Frequent Miler Greg's points of view but this video made me wonder why my alignment is not with his. I am thinking that Hyatt might be worth jumping off the band wagon. Where is your view?

I presume his video and was brought on by the recent point devaluation which is disappointing. I agree that the change is somewhat disappointing but that it is mainly the $800+ a night Hyatt’s that are now costing up to 20,000 more points. But valuing Hyatt points do I really want to spend $600, $700 or more in valued Hyatt points per night anyhow. Sure I enjoyed the Park Hyatt Milan or PH NYC as much as the next person but those hotels are not that great.

I also found his post misleading when Greg said Globalist get free parking. I thought that you only got free parking when it was a hotel owned parking lot and you were on an award stay. He made it sound like all parking if free for Globalists? Have I been ripped off when paying of parking?

Other points are Hyatt Concierge service which in the pandemic I realized how little I value that benefit. On Flyertalk people are all excited about the Concierge. The only minimal value the concierge has brought me was the ability to email to ask for a suite upgrade but it took days to get a reply. I generally just take a few seconds and call. The only time I have really needed some help was during the pandemic. I emailed my Concierge to inquire about my Cat 7 and suite upgrades expiring and didn't get a response for a few days and then told me nothing could be done about Category 7 cert or my 4 suite expiring upgrades. Fortunately I read on FT and learned a 5 minute chat on the app and points and 1 suite upgrade was extended. They even gave me points for the useless club awards. Again I don’t see much value in the Concierge.

The other Globalist benefits they say are so worthy of keeping are the suite upgrades. Sure they are better than Marriott but I still end up with many every year as I often don't plan speculative trips and cancel nights rather I plan trips when I know I will go and suites are not more often not available. Have I just been a top tier for 20 years and gotten too spoilt and used to the benefits???

So back to is it time to jump step off they Hyatt bandwagon? I look at the program and the Globalist and make the following points:
  1. The Globalist program has severely changed with few Regency Clubs open. My number 1 reason for engaging in the program.
  2. Hotels are much more expensive (I see 20-50% price increases)
  3. Hyatt has made Globalist harder requiring 60 nights now vs 55 like in the past 4 years (so while the pandemic is raging on and have been advised to not travel I now need to spend even more nights to achieve Globalist)
  4. Peak pricing – 10% increase often for me (not even including recent devaluation)
  5. Less service - been a while since I got turn down service, or even daily cleaning service
  6. No more points + cash at a fixed rate (I know this changed 4 years ago but it still is a thorn in my side)

So my question for anyone interested am I too critical of Hyatt or do I have the Covid cranks? What is your opinion is it time to step off the Hyatt bandwagon
Hyatt is still my favorite chain. Honestly, I still think they have the best value points hotelwise considering there are massive devaluations happening everywhere. Additionally, the service cutbacks are everywhere too, but honestly I don't like having my room serviced while I am staying. I just don't like having random people in my room. I also feel like i still have the best stays at hyatts. The rooms are always clean, comfortable, and the staff is always friendly.

I actually just checked into the Hyatt in East London and when I walked into my room there was a handwritten welcome note with some Macaroons and chocolate covered fruit. While I always stay at what is cheapest, Hyatt is definitely my favorite.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
At the end of the day, you can only engage what the current market place offers, not with some idealized version of what hotel loyalty programs can/should be

1) If you can somewhat easily reach 60 nights, Globalist still appears to be the best loyalty tier by far. Suite upgrades, more consistent breakfast, and more consistent delivery of benefits than Hilton Diamond / Marriott Plat/Titanium/Ambassador. Very few people would argue this. However, loyalty tiers are only one consideration - hotel footprint, convenience, etc all can matter more.

2) The question is - should you try to spend a lot of money and time reaching 60 nights if it is not easy for you to do so, for whatever reason - maybe not. Staying at inconvenient or subpar hotels (for example, staying at a Hyatt hotel away from your conference when the conference is being held at the Marriott) when the absolute benefits of Globalist or value of Hyatt points are going down is looking less and less attractive.

3) Are Hyatt points still the most valuable? Likely yes, especially post Marriott devaluation. 40K Hyatt points for Park Hyatt or Alila or whatever is still good value in the context of hotel room rate inflation. Hilton points look increasingly attractive but their high end footprint is a bit smaller than Marriott.

4) Stop complaining about things like fewer club lounges, more limited service properties, etc - these are industrywide trends that will not reverse. Limited service hotels are the most popular and profitable segment within the US. Hyatt needs many more of these hotels to compete and will get them built. The majority of hotels being built in the US, and increasingly Asia, are in this segment. It is what it is. Club lounges are seen as unprofitable and will continue to be cut / reduced in the US across most brands.

5) Solution? If you can get Hyatt status, great, if not, just do free agency. There are great Hyatt hotels available where you can redeem points, book via FHR/Virtuoso/Prive, or simply pay cash. Just do that. Same with Marriott, Hilton, Four Seasons, etc. Whining and moaning about benefits that are worth $10, $20, $30 a stay or whatever is too much to worry about.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Adelphos
5) Solution? If you can get Hyatt status, great, if not, just do free agency. There are great Hyatt hotels available where you can redeem points, book via FHR/Virtuoso/Prive, or simply pay cash. Just do that. Same with Marriott, Hilton, Four Seasons, etc. Whining and moaning about benefits that are worth $10, $20, $30 a stay or whatever is too much to worry about.
Thank you for a cogent response in a thread full of ...
60 nights is not easy for me as I have no business travel and I have no desire to spend dozens of nights in old Hyatt Places. But there are some fine Hyatt hotels out there I am happy to pay for. Judicious use of Privé rates has worked well for me.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by schriste; Feb 21, 2022 at 10:52 am
Old Feb 21, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
The bloggers need you to get off the Hyatt bandwagon because La Quinta is coming out with a new credit card, which includes 50% off at the Denny's that shares the parking lot.
Ha!
Well before jumping onto the WoH bandwagen, I stayed at a few LaQuintas and they were always cheaper, cleaner, and better taken care of than the Hamptons, Holiday Inns, Courtyards, etc. that were my alternatives. And Denny's doesn't do a bad breakfast.
--------
Regarding the blog post -- I read a rundown of it a couple days ago and can't identify with his ramblings.

Overall, I feel like WoH -now- is a better program than it was in 2018. At least for me. Sure, some point 'devaluations' have recently occurred (though, since 2017, more has stayed the same than has changed, regardless of inflation!). But also, The Hyatt family has quite a few more hotels (including a fair number of upper end hotels), and a wider geographic footprint, and it's quite a bit easier to qualify since that first WoH year since all nights count. Remember that their original idea was only cash and cash+points nights counting for credit, and now WoH CC spend can get quite a few nights too over the year.

And the core benefits that I joined for (free breakfasts, up to 4 weeks of suite upgrades) are entirely intact. I've enjoyed a number of Regency Clubs (and Grand hyatt clubs) too, but the 'average' Hyatt Regency in the US had mediocre breakfasts in the Club (nothing much hot), and were weak on snacks/drinks/other offerings anyways. I'd rather have a restaurant breakfast at HR Minneapolis, HR Baltimore, etc than the club (though, Baltimore did get me quite drunk on some free wine pours a few years ago). I can only have so much lox and muffins before I want something hot for breakfast. And the suite upgrades are nearly always usable with some advanced planning on travel. It's been very rare that I couldn't apply one on a stay successfully.

As for the cat changes -- I've had zero issues rolling with them. When GH-DFW went from Cat 4 to cat 5, I found that I enjoy HR Dallas all the same on my certificates. When a certain bargain redemption goes away because of a up-categorization change, I've always been able to adjust where I burn without any real pain and that baseline burn at cat1s like HR Wichita, HR Tulsa, and many HPs throughout the US, even when they rise to over $200 a night, hasn't changed at all really. My points are still burning at 2-4 cents per point, and I can't seem to accumulate them faster than I find good opportunities to burn them. Just takes a little flexibility in travel plans, patterns, and a little acceptance and these ~yearly cat changes are just not that important in the grand scheme of things (i.e. Those of you wanting to burn a Cat7 at PHNY will just have to settle burning it at the Andaz 5th Avenue (heaven forbid!))

. And to jump off a bandwagon, you have to have something great to go to. And if you do have something great to go to, then go to it already! WoH will never and can never be the program that satisfies everyone.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Honestly, whilst I do have bad stays with Hyatt, most often they are good/great. My stays at Marriott, by contrast are almost always horrid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.