Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Devaluation! New award category changes effective 3/22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Devaluation! New award category changes effective 3/22

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coleslaw
That’s what happens each time there’s a category change. Same thing when a promotion expires.

The reasoning seems pretty clear… leaving it up after the fact would only lead to more confusion (/disgruntlement).
Except it’s not a promotion it’s a Category change. How exactly could leaving it up for at least 30 days after the change lead to confusion?

It’s not like they emailed all World of Hyatt Members a list with the changes.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by demue
Got a Cat 2 to 1 move for 2 bookings and nothing so far. I'll sit tight and let them get to it as the Standard Suite is not available any longer to rebook at my current dates. YMMV.
Just to update, I got two notifications from Hyatt about points deductions on my account and my two reservations were rebooked / updated at the lower Cat 1 rate for standard suite. 35k points back for 7 nights, not bad, thank you.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Except it’s not a promotion it’s a Category change. How exactly could leaving it up for at least 30 days after the change lead to confusion?

It’s not like they emailed all World of Hyatt Members a list with the changes.
Yes, I didn’t say it was a promotion. I said that promotion information pages are handled in the same way. They get taken down as soon as they’re no longer current and relevant.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by demue
Just to update, I got two notifications from Hyatt about points deductions on my account and my two reservations were rebooked / updated at the lower Cat 1 rate for standard suite. 35k points back for 7 nights, not bad, thank you.
Not moi. But I did save 30k (5k per night) by making my reservation before the category bump plus another 20k (20% rebate) on my booking. I guess I will need those points later this year as the rates went up at all the other properties that I plan to book with points LOL.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hyatt rate increases don't look so bad compared to the Marriott Red Wedding right now...
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hyatt rate increases don't look so bad compared to the Marriott Red Wedding right now...
Bloodbath over there. So glad I burned most of my points and switched to Hyatt a few years ago. I fear though only a matter of time before Hyatt follows suit.
UA-NYC and cfabar1 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Loyalty is overrated. That said, Hyatt offers a nice program right now. Even with the devaluations. Marriott offers almost nothing right now that is worth it in my view. Once people realize this, they will flee or say “well, they still have a good footprint”. I also think Hyatt will be under pressure to increase profitability.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Its all relative, I had a 1 nighter last week and 1 this week both by an airport and I just looked at the same day of the week for next week and both hotels are less points now. So it seems as long as you are looking at the lower end properties you will most likely save on the amount of pts needed, eg Element,Fairfields,Towne Place, Courtyard etc etc but if you want a resort or a full service in a high demand area then Marriott will make you pay with the last drop of blood in you
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Loyalty is overrated. That said, Hyatt offers a nice program right now. Even with the devaluations. Marriott offers almost nothing right now that is worth it in my view. Once people realize this, they will flee or say “well, they still have a good footprint”. I also think Hyatt will be under pressure to increase profitability.
Yeah I agree with this. Issue though really is Hyatt's footprint is indeed weak in places you wouldn't expect it - I have an upcoming visit to LA and am trying really really hard to stay at a Hyatt, but if you don't want to be in either LAX or Anaheim, the options aren't too great.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by slariz
Yeah I agree with this. Issue though really is Hyatt's footprint is indeed weak in places you wouldn't expect it - I have an upcoming visit to LA and am trying really really hard to stay at a Hyatt, but if you don't want to be in either LAX or Anaheim, the options aren't too great.
We stay in the LA area pretty frequently our top 4 properties -

Hyatt Regency Valencia (the farthest but great price point, great breakfast and great activities l/dining options nearby)

Hyatt Regency Orange County - Great Price, Great location

Hyatt Regency John Wayne Airport - Great Price Great location Great Breakfast

Hyatt House John Wayne Airport - Great Price Great location
Boraxo, 59Impala and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Matt4200
We stay in the LA area pretty frequently our top 4 properties -

Hyatt Regency Valencia (the farthest but great price point, great breakfast and great activities l/dining options nearby)

Hyatt Regency Orange County - Great Price, Great location

Hyatt Regency John Wayne Airport - Great Price Great location Great Breakfast

Hyatt House John Wayne Airport - Great Price Great location
good places but not LA .
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
good places but not LA .
I’ve lived in LA for many years we moved a few years ago and go back to visit. Anyone from LA wouldn’t recommend staying deep in LA, especially if traveling with family.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by slariz
If you don’t mind staying downtown the Figueroa is pretty good.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
I just canceled a points booking at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach in July and went to to rebook for several days later. Got hit with a category increase and peak pricing, so the nightly rate went from 20k to 29k. I have to remind myself that I’m using Chase Ultimate Rewards points, so it’s still a good deal compared to the cash price.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:43 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by jsnearline
I just canceled a points booking at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach in July and went to to rebook for several days later. Got hit with a category increase and peak pricing, so the nightly rate went from 20k to 29k. I have to remind myself that I’m using Chase Ultimate Rewards points, so it’s still a good deal compared to the cash price.
Not sure of the cash rates but if we figure that a Hyatt point is approx 1.7 cents and we believe the overall
consensus of most bloggers before the devaluation
and their assessment is agreeable then you are paying approx around 500 dollars for your redemption night.
And that’s on what I consider the somewhat low side personally
Are the cash rates much higher?
I thought 20k was plenty for that property based on aging rooms and upkeep.
Perhaps the property has had a major refresh since I was there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.