Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Devaluation! New award category changes effective 3/22

Devaluation! New award category changes effective 3/22

Old Mar 23, 22, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, ITA Volare Executive, Royal Air Maroc Gold
Originally Posted by kpott View Post
Has anyone had a refund of points for properties dropping a category? I had a reservation for a property that is dropping from cat 2 to cat 1. Do I need to call in to get those points back or will they automatically get refunded?
In the last go-round (last October?) I waited and they were refunded automatically. The reason I waited is that I didn't want to screw-up the reservation. Remember, there is no saying that they will necessarily have availability for your date, and who knows what whoever you call in to talk to is going to do to get you your points back.
Old Mar 23, 22, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
One of my bookings that went down a category has been automatically rebooked at the lower rate, and the points saved back to my account.

Other bookings are untouched so far.
Old Mar 25, 22, 11:25 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Got a Cat 2 to 1 move for 2 bookings and nothing so far. I'll sit tight and let them get to it as the Standard Suite is not available any longer to rebook at my current dates. YMMV.
Old Mar 25, 22, 11:44 am

Trying to book HR Paris Etoile in July. To my knowledge a Category 4 and points calendar does indeed show 15k for a standard room for my dates -- neither peak nor off-peak. So should be 15k for a standard room, no? But when I try to book it shows 21k for a twin with Club access. I checked and the room offered is definitely not a standard suite. Those are showing at 24k.

It's like it's pricing as a Category 6.

What gives?
Old Mar 25, 22, 11:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gregorio1 View Post
Trying to book HR Paris Etoile in July. To my knowledge a Category 4 and points calendar does indeed show 15k for a standard room for my dates -- neither peak nor off-peak. So should be 15k for a standard room, no? But when I try to book it shows 21k for a twin with Club access. I checked and the room offered is definitely not a standard suite. Those are showing at 24k.

What gives?
I noticed this too as I was also looking for July/August dates. Open hotel alert doesn't even list a room name that sounds like a standard room for some dates. I'm not sure what the standard room is.
Old Mar 25, 22, 12:07 pm

What gives?
the calendar shows the cost of the room IF there are any standard rooms available. The calendar does not however represent actual availability of standard rooms.
Old Mar 25, 22, 12:16 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
1) Price determines categories, not brand
That's what we are led to believe but I would argue fuzzy math is at work behind the scenes at Hyatt with someone inflating above
the ADR or demand far above the rate of inflation
As just one of many examples San Francisco where ADR has been 149 to 200 per night in most of the solid 4 Star Hotels over the past 24 months.
Yet redemption rates are now 23k to 29k per night ?
Huh The city is on its knees unlike anything I can remember except perhaps 9-11

I am redeeming for almost half of those rates outside of WOH at present and early in the year less than half
When you look at age & condition of hard product,closed restaurants and clubs on average more limited elite benefits grab & go stand on a line etc
I'm out for now
IMHO Hyatt is way out of whack & someone is smoking something in accounting likely the financial data.

As someone who has been a massive supporter of Hyatt overall for decades I have never seen anything
like the bomb they dropped on this programs value since I enrolled in 1994
Hyatt was the quality and value leader.
Now see them more than often as a basic commoditized product like every brand/program now with some special standout exceptions.

Typically look at price, quality standard and location now.
Especially as quality & variety of breakfast standards and benefits have slipped throughout the chain since the pandemic started .
smilee and Matt4200 like this.
Old Mar 25, 22, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by myperks View Post
the calendar shows the cost of the room IF there are any standard rooms available. The calendar does not however represent actual availability of standard rooms.
yep Ive seen where it shows 15K for a Cat4 but it wants 18K as only a non Standard room was available. Ive also seen where a 4 night stay at a Cat4 was 66K turned out it was 18K a night for Sat & Sun even for a Standard due to it being Peak and the other 2 nights weekday being non-peak

So until you actually go all the way thru to pay you wont know the exact amount due

And also it would show the # of pts needed and when you click on the Rate box to book it, you get the SOL message that there arent any rooms available, then why show the amount of pts needed?!
Old Mar 26, 22, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
That's what we are led to believe but I would argue fuzzy math is at work behind the scenes at Hyatt with someone inflating above
As just one of many examples San Francisco where ADR has been 149 to 200 per night in most of the solid 4 Star Hotels over the past 24 months.

I am redeeming for almost half of those rates outside of WOH at present and early in the year less than half
When you look at age & condition of hard product,closed restaurants and clubs on average more limited elite benefits grab & go stand on a line etc
I'm out for now
IMHO Hyatt is way out of whack & someone is smoking something in accounting likely the financial data.

As someone who has been a massive supporter of Hyatt overall for decades I have never seen anything
Now see them more than often as a basic commoditized product like every brand/program now with some special standout exceptions.

Especially as quality & variety of breakfast standards and benefits have slipped throughout the chain since the pandemic started .

I have to agree with you. I'm looking at rates in Prague and Lisbon ( both new properties) and I have to say I'm really surprised at the paid rates. I just stopped in the new Andaz Prague earlier this week. It's nice and, well, new but is it worth EUR 425/night when I can get very nice rooms in Prague for 1/4 to 1/2 that? (And frankly you can get rooms in Prague for even less that are completely fine.) Accounting is smoking something indeed!
Old Mar 26, 22, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits

I'm out for now

1) San Francisco hotel prices are unusually low relative to other markets because the companies arenít back to work and conventions arenít in town. I am guessing Hyatt is pricing those hotels in terms of categories to expect a more normal environment over the next year or so

2) Everything you said about Hyatt in terms of lounges / breakfast options down can also be said of Hilton and Marriott in the same markets. Those arenít Hyatt specific issues, those are US Hotel issues
Old Mar 26, 22, 10:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I have to agree with you. I'm looking at rates in Prague and Lisbon ( both new properties) and I have to say I'm really surprised at the paid rates. I just stopped in the new Andaz Prague earlier this week. It's nice and, well, new but is it worth EUR 425/night when I can get very nice rooms in Prague for 1/4 to 1/2 that? (And frankly you can get rooms in Prague for even less that are completely fine.) Accounting is smoking something indeed!
Prague has become the new Paris apparently? Who knew?
Appreciate the thoughts and the reminder Prague has an Andaz!

I’m waiting to see what Marriott and IHg do in the weeks ahead before making any final long term conclusions
I do know there are some material improvements to their competing programs.
The Chase IHG credit card will be getting improvements in earning categories too.
Unfortunately I can’t think of anything Hyatt has done over the past 3 years but devalue
their point currency and raise prices aggressively with
worsening conditions experienced in some of their hotels.
In one hotel I frequent for years both times I stepped up to the buffet for the elite breakfast
my dishes were removed and new guests were seated when I returned.
Servers had to bus tables and take care of guests It took 2 and half hours to finish breakfast
and over an hour & 30 minutes for a side of avocado and a bottle of water.
Granted they were understaffed and jam packed and was a more isolated experience.

Dining Quality standards have slipped rather dramatically and seem to be less premium across the board.
Can just imagine what limited service properties must be like now..I’ve gotten to a the point where Amazon Fresh or Whole Foods delivers my breakfast to the front desk occasionally
I ignore eroding elite benefits and quality slippage in food and beverage quality
Historically I’ve always felt taken care of at Hyatt hotels and still do just less so
gadberry likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Mar 26, 22 at 10:10 am
Old Mar 26, 22, 10:29 am

I think the problem is that hotel categories only change once a year but pricing changes every day.

Prices in vacation spots like Andaz Maui and Ventana have shot through the roof so we were all getting screaming deals with our points purchases before the devaluation.

Prices in business locations like SF have crumbled. It would have been nice to see some hotels in SF go down in category but you can't blame Hyatt for expecting things to recover sometime before the next set of category changes.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 26, 22, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by avogadro View Post
Prices in business locations like SF have crumbled. It would have been nice to see some hotels in SF go down in category but you can't blame Hyatt for expecting things to recover sometime before the next set of category changes.
Itís not like business travel would jump back to pre-pandemic levels in the next 8 months (time when they usually announce Category changes in November). On top of that SF of all places just isnít where they should have their expectations itís a wasteland in comparison to what it was with drugs, crime, homelessness, loads of visible property damage and no hope of recovery within the next 2 years, which is why itís an excellent candidate to drop down a category.

As many have said itís like someone new came in and theyíre smoking something because this isnít Hyatt this isnít the brand theyíve known and been loyal to, itís just sad to see.
Old Mar 28, 22, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Interesting -

Hyatt removed the list of changes from its website. Try to use the links in the OP or any blog posting and it now says ďPage not foundĒ.

Not even a week later
Old Mar 28, 22, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
Interesting -

Hyatt removed the list of changes from its website. Try to use the links in the OP or any blog posting and it now says ďPage not foundĒ.

Not even a week later
Thatís what happens each time thereís a category change. Same thing when a promotion expires.

The reasoning seems pretty clearÖ leaving it up after the fact would only lead to more confusion (/disgruntlement).

Search this Thread