Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Devaluation! New award category changes effective 3/22

Devaluation! New award category changes effective 3/22

Old Feb 20, 2022, 2:19 am

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Speaking from experience, there is only one Hyatt "on" I-95 between Savannah and Richmond (in Florence, SC; there are some properties in the Charleston area, one in Sumter, and two in Columbia. Hyatt has nothing in NW Florida (e.g. Ocala, Gainesville, etc.) between Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, and Tallahassee. There's nothing between Biloxi and Baton Rouge. Nothing in Montgomery. Only a single property on I-20 between Birmingham and Dallas (Jackson, MS). Nothing in NH, only a single property in Maine (now Cat 5), and only a single (resort) property in VT. Nothing in Syracuse, Binghamton, Scranton, Harrisburg, Chattanooga, Little Rock...West Virginia...Montana...

Now, this doesn't get into "there's a Hyatt but no full service Hyatt", at which point you start getting quite a few states. And it gets higher if you exclude some of the resort properties from the mix as well (which, while full-service, aren't generally oriented towards someone wanting a day to relax while "on the road" as much as "destination travelers"). At that point I could point to some massive gaps.
Yes and globally it's the same. Think about Northern Europe, London, UAE and pretty much all of Africa, Australia, Hong Kong... Hyatt is either woefully lacking in these places or has (in my opinion) clearly inferior options qualitywise than Marriott.

The reason I still stay more with Hyatt than with Marriott is that a) in some places I go to frequently, I prefer the Hyatt properties and b) Hyatt has the far better loyalty program. That's why I think WoH needs to be better than Bonvoy - it has to compensate for less, and often less attractive (for me, I understand this is personal) choices.

I actually don't mind the category changes just announced. I care more about the status benefits than the points. There's a clear devaluing of the Cat. 1-7 cert, but that the points are adjusted to cash prices is understandable.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
II believe many of us are still digesting what Hyatt has thrown our way with what on the surface may be the largest devaluation
I've ever seen from Hyatt historically.
Its higher than the national rate of inflation. And that is really bad
I only care where it affects me and the Cat 7 - 8 for PHNY & PH Vendome certainly isn't good for me. Based on my recent stays, both those properties are no longer worthy of, in my very humble opinion, handing over my hard earned $$ for, and have been relegated to the "only points" category. With this increase, perhaps it's just best to write them off entirely because, again from my experience, I seem to recall both were much better even 5 or 6 years ago.

I've been with Hyatt since 1994 and staying in their hotels long before that with no rewards/points being offered
All that said I have never seen the Hyatt program as dysfunctional to this degree where frequently it simply just doesn't make a whole lot of sense
Sticker shock along with declining in house services, shrinking elite dining breakfast benefits/closed clubs/limited menus and no welcome amenity points
that I receive in every other program at a number of major locations/brands.
While I haven't stayed nearly as long as you have, I have pretty fond memories of my first year as a newly minted Hyatt Diamond. I agree with all of your points and can only hope this erosion hasn't or will not taint the Hyatt experience in SE Asia.
js1993 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I definitely agree with Hyatt's loyalty program needing to be better than the competition to compensate for their smaller footprint, and I think, even after the devaluation, it still is. I stay at Hyatt where I can (and top off my account with Chase points), and anywhere there isn't a Hyatt (which is actually fairly often, as we aren't really city people), I'll book a basic motel or limited service hotel through Expedia and collect a few of their points.

My biggest concern was always transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards - given that they transfer to both Hyatt and Marriott at the same ratio, but Hyatt points are worth at least twice as much, I figured it was only a matter of time before the ratio got adjusted.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by strickerj
My biggest concern was always transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards - given that they transfer to both Hyatt and Marriott at the same ratio, but Hyatt points are worth at least twice as much, I figured it was only a matter of time before the ratio got adjusted.
That’s a reasonable fear, probably shared by Hyatt. Hyatt wants time money to continue to flow from Chase, so they will negotiate hard to keep the current exchange rate. Which in turn will force repeated devaluation of Hyatt redemption.

Hyatt’s unusually flexible points combining policy is my favorite way to pool Chase points among family members. There’s never a stranded point.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:02 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Visconti
I only care where it affects me and the Cat 7 - 8 for PHNY & PH Vendome certainly isn't good for me. Based on my recent stays, both those properties are no longer worthy of, in my very humble opinion, handing over my hard earned $$ for, and have been relegated to the "only points" category. With this increase, perhaps it's just best to write them off entirely because, again from my experience, I seem to recall both were much better even 5 or 6 years ago.

While I haven't stayed nearly as long as you have, I have pretty fond memories of my first year as a newly minted Hyatt Diamond. I agree with all of your points and can only hope this erosion hasn't or will not taint the Hyatt experience in SE Asia.
Agreed
Hyatt has pushed me into discovering other brands/programs more closely and unlocking some better experiences
examples like Canopy by Hilton an awesome brand and select Kimpton properties
In this case my migration over to Canopy happened as a result of a Hyatt Regency with a closed restaurant other than grab and go
and a line out the door under staffed
With 5th night free with Hilton and 4th night free with IHG plus a 10% points rebate on any night(s) booked Hyatt looks the same
or higher most of the time now.
And unless the breakfast and upgrade are stellar I'd rather spend the $$$ and go out of house as long as I don't sacrifice value
and a good stay experience
Hotel breakfasts have typically gone downhill since the pandemic
I prefer to be a free spirit equal opportunity traveler.We all have to do what is best for all of us individually.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Agreed
Hyatt has pushed me into discovering other brands/programs more closely and unlocking some better experiences
examples like Canopy by Hilton an awesome brand and select Kimpton properties
In this case my migration over to Canopy happened as a result of a Hyatt Regency with a closed restaurant other than grab and go
and a line out the door under staffed
With 5th night free with Hilton and 4th night free with IHG plus a 10% points rebate on any night(s) booked Hyatt looks the same
or higher most of the time now.
And unless the breakfast and upgrade are stellar I'd rather spend the $$$ and go out of house as long as I don't sacrifice value
and a good stay experience
Hotel breakfasts have typically gone downhill since the pandemic
I prefer to be a free spirit equal opportunity traveler.We all have to do what is best for all of us individually.
Hasnt Hilton more or less ended free breakfasts at least in the FS props, and now give you say a $25 allowance per person which may get you a cup of coffee and a danish
Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Hydro88
Yes and globally it's the same. Think about Northern Europe, London, UAE and pretty much all of Africa, Australia, Hong Kong... Hyatt is either woefully lacking in these places or has (in my opinion) clearly inferior options qualitywise than Marriott.

The reason I still stay more with Hyatt than with Marriott is that a) in some places I go to frequently, I prefer the Hyatt properties and b) Hyatt has the far better loyalty program. That's why I think WoH needs to be better than Bonvoy - it has to compensate for less, and often less attractive (for me, I understand this is personal) choices.

I actually don't mind the category changes just announced. I care more about the status benefits than the points. There's a clear devaluing of the Cat. 1-7 cert, but that the points are adjusted to cash prices is understandable.
I'd note that HGP (as it was at the time) was actually the first program I really "hooked into" (I had a prior membership in IHG's program as well, but I parked a bit more regularly at Hyatt). Gaps like these nudged me to Starwood (which also had relatively low thresholds for decent status at the time, as well as solid airline-oriented redemptions), and that plopped into Marriott when that merger happened. Last year's reduced thresholds and carry-over nights pushed me easily to Discoverist, so I came back and pulled Globalist together fairly easily (I think I got something like 110 night credits last year at Hyatt and about 130 or 140 at Marriott...but to be fair, probably 30 from Hyatt and 30-40 from Marriott were from carry-over/double night promos).
Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:40 pm

I’m not happy about the devaluation, but at least the ratio of increase vs decrease is much better than the likes of Marriott.

at the end of the day, more Hyatt properties decreased in points. Bali would be a great redemption destination going forward.

really sad about Hyatt City of Dreams Manila (amazing property with great service) + Hyatt regency Valencia. Both properties great value at 8k points, but not sure about 12k points
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I'm not so certain award charts protect us anymore.
IME the award charts definitely protect me at high end city and resort properties that may go for $1k or more on peak dates. I would never spend $1k+ per night for a standard room but will gladly pay 90k Marriott (or 77k over 5 nights). Heck I won't even pay $500 per night when I have to buy 2 rooms for the family. I fully expect all of these sweet spots will all be gone once Bonvoy award charts are gone.

Look at Hilton - HH theoretically caps rooms at 95k, but I never find rooms at that price when I'm checking peak dates/locations - award nights are always priced higher. Heck I see crappy Hamptons priced at 70k for weekends due to location.

Yes 30k and even 40k per night are a bit tough to swallow at Hyatt. But even at those rates I can still stay free at properties that go for $1k+

For me this is the difference between airlines and hotels. I have great difficulty finding business class TATL and TPAC seats at "saver" award pricing for peak dates, and I simply don't have enough points to pay 200k or 300k one-way per seat. But I can still find the hotel equivalent at acceptable point pricing, though maybe not for much longer.
nsx, Colin, cmjaffe and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes 30k and even 40k per night are a bit tough to swallow at Hyatt. But even at those rates I can still stay free at properties that go for $1k+
When these things happen, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Well, in this case, I got really unlucky! While this isn't anything I'm proud of, even the Hyatt's often criticized minimal footprint is probably too large for me, since, for whatever reason, there are only a handful of places in the world I personally look forward to visiting for leisure--three of those places happen to be NYC (PHNY), Paris (PH Vendome) and Kyoto (PH Kyoto). They're all getting whacked.

Now, I suppose, on the bright side since I've been lucky to have gotten an extra 80K from the bonus journey last Q & 12K pay-off for whining incessantly about the expired Club Access Rewards (virtually useless for Globs), I should see those "gifts" as renumeration for the inflated prices I must now fork over to stay in those 3 properties. And, like yourself, given this current environment, there is no way I'd pay $500 - $1,000 for any of them.

The only viable strategy I see is to try to keep earning points faster than their pace of inflating it.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
The only viable strategy I see is to try to keep earning points faster than their pace of inflating it.
As long as Hyatt is 1:1 transfer partner to Chase this is not a problem. You can earn millions of chase pts a year between SUBs and various other means. A 10k increase from 30k to 40k just means you need to spend 2k more at Office Depot or Staples.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
As long as Hyatt is 1:1 transfer partner to Chase this is not a problem. You can earn millions of chase pts a year between SUBs and various other means. A 10k increase from 30k to 40k just means you need to spend 2k more at Office Depot or Staples.
Concur. The Hyatt transfer deal is a much better deal than Marriott, as you typically need 3x as many MR points to redeem for the Hyatt equivalent (e.g. St. Regis v. Park Hyatt).
Visconti and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:43 pm

Yeah, that's true, especially now since, off the top my head, Hyatt is really the only UR transfer I'd consider, aside from the occasional WN trip, here and there. The only issue--it's a minor one--is having to stay under that 5/24 thing, but, yes, I've got no qualms cranking out Ink SUBs & cheesing the 5X office thing.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
I'm not so certain award charts protect us anymore.
While Hyatt is still important to me as a program member every program even those that are disliked by many here have their sweet spots.
And the biggest mistake many members make is only taking into account only the point redemption on the surface amount of those
redemption's sometimes a very big oversight IMO
To ignore the variety of options and benefits of competitors and not keep an open mind is to limit experiences and overpay should that matter to some.

I believe many of us are still digesting what Hyatt has thrown our way with what on the surface may be the largest devaluation
I've ever seen from Hyatt historically.
Its higher than the national rate of inflation. And that is really bad

Are we paying off their pandemic losses going forward?Will they contribute to mine?
On a 30k Cat 7 redemption even a 10% increase would be 3000 additional points 20% at 6000 30% 9000 etc
For those that say Marriott may be worse we will soon see the bad or the good of that offering.If they massively fail so be it.
They may hurt their bottom line if to aggressive

I've been with Hyatt since 1994 and staying in their hotels long before that with no rewards/points being offered
All that said I have never seen the Hyatt program as dysfunctional to this degree where frequently it simply just doesn't make a whole lot of sense
Sticker shock along with declining in house services, shrinking elite dining breakfast benefits/closed clubs/limited menus and no welcome amenity points
that I receive in every other program at a number of major locations/brands.
Where once I saw Hyatt as my # 1 above all others I now see them as a possibility instead of a must when I do the bottom line analysis
I'm booking away from Hyatt over 50% of the time now and the massive devaluation will just accelerate all that sadly.
The only way I see this working is what the HH execs did years ago which is to overprice rewards but then offer far more promotional earnings by staying
Granted things may get worse and the playing field may level at some point making me shift back.

It seems as if Hyatt execs want to slowly work there way to the Delta airlines program model where revenue may make far more sense
then using point redemption's
Realistically if I had to guess this thing the strategy @ present is fighting internally between dynamic pricing and blaming everything
on seasonal awards the old Starwood/SPG way of doing things
Where aspirational properties are wildly overpriced shifting the redemption's to lower end properties
Historically the key to Hyatt wasn't just the experience it was higher point value currency than other programs.
You had to sometimes frequently go out of your way to stay @ Hyatt
"The little program that could" You had to stay and earn Hyatt points because they were far more valuable.

More properties now seem illogical as one such example I booked nights in Dallas airport non Hyatt
Here is just some of their bizarre pricing revenue vs reward points bookings.Not a big fan of the Regency in that market.Its a maybe as its tired

Hyatt Regency DFW Points 9,500 or 290.00 dollars plus tax (Obviously the points make great sense here) Must be a high demand time
Grand Hyatt DFW Points 23,000 vs 313.00 dollars plus tax throughout this past year I was able to book most of the time for 220 dollars per night.
The property had previously offered 20k redemption consistently
Despite it being a cat 4 for many years @ 15 k which still makes some sense based on the past years revenue rates if they matter
at all anymore and apparently they don't!
I don't understand your comparison to Delta. You are comparing the best hotel program to the worst offenders amongst the airlines.

As someone mentioned earlier, you just have to look at what hotels you can redeem for the same number of Ultimate Rewards points when transferring to either Hyatt or Marriott. There is no comparison even with the current devaluation.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Concur. The Hyatt transfer deal is a much better deal than Marriott, as you typically need 3x as many MR points to redeem for the Hyatt equivalent (e.g. St. Regis v. Park Hyatt).
Paradoxically, this is exactly why I concentrate most paid stays on Marriott - the best way to build Marriott balances is by actually staying at the properties, which I do a lot for work (and pay with a corporate card, so credit card earning plays a role). You can earn plenty of Hyatt points through Chase - but no need for me to really be loyal to them, especially with a less useful footprint.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.