Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Austin REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Thompson Austin REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:50 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Philadelphia, LAX, Paris
Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Posts: 3,414
Had a 3 nights stay at the Thompson Austin back in January (1 on points and 2 paid nights) but forgot to post.

Applied a TSU and got the very nice San Jacinto suite which is quite large and well appointed. I was not a fan of the tommie in the same building so had preconceived notions about the Thompson which I now have a very different opinion of the brand - the hotel is really wonderful, and in fact I will be back next week!

The food at Wax Myrtle was great, but the Globalist breakfast as room service was a JOKE as everything came in on paper plates in paper bags! I get that they want to be green and all that but I want my breakfast on real plates with real silverware, so the next couple of days, I ate at the restaurants and it was great.

I went to college at UT Austin in the 70's and downtown Austin is now a whole new world! The restaurants nearby are absolutely amazing! Of course, there is 6th Street right below with all the live music and the bars, so much fun but so noisy that they provide you with earplugs in the room, LOL
BBQman98 likes this.
sapguy is offline  
Old Jun 6, 2023, 9:06 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 18
Just spent one night this past weekend (Sat to Sun). Used free Cat 1-7 award that was about to expire this month. We live in the area, so it was more of a use it or lose it situation.

For the pluses, the hotel itself is nice and staff was courteous. Received some of the usual Globalist benefits like free parking, breakfast and 4pm late checkout. I should mention that while breakfast was free, the menu options were kinda limited. You'd expect a better breakfast arrangement for a Thompson. We've had much better at lower category hotels.

On the not so great side, we didn't get any type of upgrade. Front desk person said, we've upgraded you to a nice high floor corner room, LOL. The room was indeed on the 12th floor, but sandwiched between rooms. Pretty sure I understand the definition of corner, LOL. Basically, we got a standard room. I did check and suites were available at checkin, later that afternoon, the next day, etc. So they had plenty availability, but decided not to offer one. I didn't ask. I rarely ever do unless I get stuck with a horrible room. But many other properties are more proactive about it. A bunch of times, I even get emails days before my arrival to let me know that I've been upgraded to a suite. Those properties also left us welcome gifts in the rooms like wine bottles, snacks, etc., and even handwritten notes. I'm not saying this because I'm expecting to be treated like royalty, but just to show that some properties do care about going to the extra mile. We got none of that at Thompson Austin.
Another issue is that the building is shared with Tommie. Hotels are basically separated by the elevators. Walk out to one side and you go to Thompson, and the opposite side takes you to Tommie. This situation creates overcrowding in some of the common areas, particularly the pool. It was so packed, it reminded me of spring break in South Beach. This may actually be a good thing for some, lol. But we were looking forward to hanging out and catch some sun, but it was busy and LOUD all day.

I'd read some comments about being loud at night because of the location, but honestly, we didn't really notice that. Perhaps being higher up helped, but couldn't say if lower floors pick up more street noise. They do leave some earplugs on your pillow, so they must've got plenty of complaints about that, lol.
Vicarious is offline  
Old Jun 6, 2023, 12:21 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,942
Originally Posted by Vicarious
Just spent one night this past weekend (Sat to Sun). Used free Cat 1-7 award that was about to expire this month. We live in the area, so it was more of a use it or lose it situation.

For the pluses, the hotel itself is nice and staff was courteous. Received some of the usual Globalist benefits like free parking, breakfast and 4pm late checkout. I should mention that while breakfast was free, the menu options were kinda limited. You'd expect a better breakfast arrangement for a Thompson. We've had much better at lower category hotels.

On the not so great side, we didn't get any type of upgrade. Front desk person said, we've upgraded you to a nice high floor corner room, LOL. The room was indeed on the 12th floor, but sandwiched between rooms. Pretty sure I understand the definition of corner, LOL. Basically, we got a standard room. I did check and suites were available at checkin, later that afternoon, the next day, etc. So they had plenty availability, but decided not to offer one. I didn't ask. I rarely ever do unless I get stuck with a horrible room. But many other properties are more proactive about it. A bunch of times, I even get emails days before my arrival to let me know that I've been upgraded to a suite. Those properties also left us welcome gifts in the rooms like wine bottles, snacks, etc., and even handwritten notes. I'm not saying this because I'm expecting to be treated like royalty, but just to show that some properties do care about going to the extra mile. We got none of that at Thompson Austin.
Another issue is that the building is shared with Tommie. Hotels are basically separated by the elevators. Walk out to one side and you go to Thompson, and the opposite side takes you to Tommie. This situation creates overcrowding in some of the common areas, particularly the pool. It was so packed, it reminded me of spring break in South Beach. This may actually be a good thing for some, lol. But we were looking forward to hanging out and catch some sun, but it was busy and LOUD all day.

I'd read some comments about being loud at night because of the location, but honestly, we didn't really notice that. Perhaps being higher up helped, but couldn't say if lower floors pick up more street noise. They do leave some earplugs on your pillow, so they must've got plenty of complaints about that, lol.
It was extremely loud until 4 am when I stayed. So you definitely got a room upgrade!
SP03 is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2023, 11:35 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Posts: 745
Recently spent one weeknight at Thompson Austin to utilize a Cat 1-7 award.

Room was upgraded a couple of days in advance to the San Jacinto Suite, #1004.

Suite was well appointed and everything functioned as expected. No issues with sound/noise from street level at all whatsoever.

Received a welcome e-mail with globalist benefits overview a couple of days prior to arrival.

4pm checkout proactively offered at check in, and housekeeping respected the DND until 3:50pm which is when we were heading out anyway.

Weekday breakfast was in diner restaurant and valued at $25 per person. Gratuity of 22% was automatically included on check, and removed from folio automatically. Menu included for reference. Front desk advised we could order breakfast as room service, just be sure to call it in and mention Globalist status when ordering.

Gym/Fitness Center well equipped with lots of equipment.

All in all, a great stay!
Attached Images  

Last edited by LedgeT; Jun 10, 2023 at 5:36 pm
LedgeT is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:04 am
  #35  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 33,593
Any experiences with Globalist breakfast for a third person booked on reservation? We booked a suite with 3 people, so the third person is on the room from the start. I know that the T&C rule is two adults, but also know that exceptions are often made. Looking at the menu above, the prices are very good, so not a big deal either way. Just curious about experiences. I will be contacting them anyway.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Apr 18, 2024, 2:50 pm
  #36  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 33,593
Originally Posted by brp
Any experiences with Globalist breakfast for a third person booked on reservation? We booked a suite with 3 people, so the third person is on the room from the start. I know that the T&C rule is two adults, but also know that exceptions are often made. Looking at the menu above, the prices are very good, so not a big deal either way. Just curious about experiences. I will be contacting them anyway.

Cheers.
Coming back to update this after our stay. I did contact them and they said that they would make an exception and add the third adult in lieu of the two children and they did just that.

Cheers.
krazykanuck likes this.
brp is offline  
Old Jun 22, 2024, 9:10 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,323
Got a stay here next week. Used a TSU into a Jacinto Suite. Will report back anything noteworthy.

Any suggestions? First time in Austin and just looking around
goodgirl likes this.
SHLTP is offline  
Old Jun 22, 2024, 9:58 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin
Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 333
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Got a stay here next week. Used a TSU into a Jacinto Suite. Will report back anything noteworthy.

Any suggestions? First time in Austin and just looking around
Hope you enjoy your suite; I'm curious what your room experience is like, as we stayed in a regular room there last year for a staycation over 4 July.

If you like live blues, Antone's is 1/2 block away on 5th. Parker Jazz Club (with set show times) and the Elephant Room (evening 'til late night) are two jazz clubs that are short walks away. You might also check out Continental Club or Saxon Pub, which are both rideshares away, since it's summer in Austin. Speaking of summer, the pool scene at Thompson is quite nice, so bring a swimsuit and enjoy a cocktail or three poolside.

Diner Bar restaurant inside the Thompson is great for HH and/or dinner. Be sure to try the grits. Parkside recently reopened after remodeling, just one block north at 6th. Eddie V's is catty corner from Thompson. Dean's is a great bar hang or full dining experience a few blocks away inside the JW on Congress Ave.

Enjoy your visit!
--woodstock
SHLTP likes this.
JoeWoodstock is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 7:06 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,323
Arrived and well so-so. Location is good, right in heart of Austin. But Austin is tinier than I expected so anyplace downtown probably would be good.

Doorman asked if Thompson or Tommie. I answered and then nothing happened. Why did he ask me? And he not colleague didn't help even though they saw us struggling w several bags each

Check in counter for Tommie and Thompson are same - this surprised me. I didn't realize both properties were in the same building when I booked but certainly didn't expect them to share all facilities when I found out. I thought they'd share a complex but be separate hotels. But no, everything is shared.

So why bother staying in the more expensive side? I used a TSU for Jacinto Suite. This is a small, disappointing suite. It's ok, not bad, but nothing special. It's hard to figure out the lights and find outlets. The seating area is crazy small. I think I wasted a TSU - luckily I have 11 and can't seem to use them but this is disappointing. They did offer an upsell to a more expensive suite. I don't love that.

Front desk welcomed me and said our suite had been prepared in advance with the specific preferences I like - well none of them were prepared when we entered room. So nice that they acknowledged they had prepared to prepare but disappointing that they actually hadn't prepared

​​​​​​I just don't understand this property. I don't get how a supposed luxury/ near luxury hotel shares all the facilities with a budget hotel. Not what I expected.

We will see how rest of the stay goes along. Front desk staff were friendly and told us to take a guided tour for free and other stuff.
.l
​​​
But underwhelmed would be the right word. I thought this would be a luxury experience - so far it is a 3 star hardware and software wise. But I'll get double nights and location is good so it's ok

goodgirl likes this.
SHLTP is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 7:44 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,942
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I didn't realize both properties were in the same building when I booked but certainly didn't expect them to share all facilities when I found out. I thought they'd share a complex but be separate hotels. But no, everything is shared.

So why bother staying in the more expensive side?

But underwhelmed would be the right word. I thought this would be a luxury experience - so far it is a 3 star hardware and software wise. But I'll get double nights and location is good so it's ok
You stay on the expensive side because the rooms are significantly nicer than what you would get at Tommie.

Thompson is a lifestyle brand. If you are expecting a luxury experience, then I'm not surprised you were disappointed.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
SP03 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 8:32 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,323
Originally Posted by SP03
You stay on the expensive side because the rooms are significantly nicer than what you would get at Tommie.

Thompson is a lifestyle brand. If you are expecting a luxury experience, then I'm not surprised you were disappointed.
Yes, I was expecting a more luxurious lifestyle experience, like the W in HK or Andaz in Singapore. I was always under the assumption Andaz and Thompson were situated similarly, just below luxury but in a funky way. I stayed at Thompson NY which at the lower end of the scale for luxury lifestyle that I'd accept. But I think NY is more luxurious than Austin.

They brought my preferences but ended up bringing the wrong thing. At least they tried I guess.

The location is good and I'll enjoy being in Austin
SHLTP is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 8:52 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,942
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Yes, I was expecting a more luxurious lifestyle experience, like the W in HK or Andaz in Singapore. I was always under the assumption Andaz and Thompson were situated similarly, just below luxury but in a funky way. I stayed at Thompson NY which at the lower end of the scale for luxury lifestyle that I'd accept. But I think NY is more luxurious than Austin.

They brought my preferences but ended up bringing the wrong thing. At least they tried I guess.

The location is good and I'll enjoy being in Austin
There are plenty of underwhelming W and Andaz. I think the Thompson Austin is actually on the nicer end of Thompson. It's an upscale lifestyle brand, but I wouldn't consider it luxury or funky.
ProjectSunburst likes this.
SP03 is offline  
Old Jul 2, 2024, 5:13 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,323
Let's be clear - this is not a bad hotel. I'd stay here again if I were in Austin. I was just hoping perhaps for a larger room - and one that didn't have so many kinks.

When the Aircon turned on, my kid thoight it was a motorcycle that went by. Woke me up in morning.

And it is hard to get the lights figured out. You need an unmarked master switch at entrance to room to be switched a certain direction to get the lights in bedroom on and off. I had to call to figure out.

I flew here from Shanghai so was expecting more considering all the accolades. I think my experiences mirror Lucky's at one mile . We also have the exact same suite.
goodgirl likes this.
SHLTP is offline  
Old Jul 2, 2024, 5:56 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston,Texas,USA
Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 969
I stayed there 3 weeks ago , received a great upgrade , room service breakfast, valet parking , waters , and a generous welcome amenity waiting in the suite. Service everywhere was excellent and their concierge was exceptional. After reading your review I realize the AC was funky ( thinking back I woke up hot each night ). They should have a look at that.
martinplas is offline  
Old Jul 2, 2024, 6:04 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Posts: 4,212
This hotel is better than the vast majority of W's I've stayed at in the US. Some international W's are better - the W Hong Kong comes to mind - but this is far more comfortable than domestic W's for me.
steveholt is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.