Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Question for those who moved to Hyatt from Marriott

Question for those who moved to Hyatt from Marriott

Old Jan 24, 22, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I would not say they are typical of MY experience in Hyatt Houses/Hyatt Places in Phoenix, Denver, Portland, Las Vegas, and those are more of my Hyatt stays than any other Hyatts. Marriott has some run down Courtyards…
Old Jan 24, 22, 11:53 am

I've stayed in both of these, though my recollection of the ATL North is fuzzy as it was probably nearly a decade ago and I don't remember it being so bad back then. The HH Waltham seemed ok but I was staying in a 2-bedroom suite which seem to be kept a bit better than many other rooms.

Anyway, I simply want to sympathize, and say that there are many poor HHs and HPs. There are also plenty of good ones so it's important to check reviews and choose accordingly. The biggest problem for you may be that there isn't much choice in certain markets. I do believe Globalist is worth it so if you can stomach the lower end properties or find alternative solutions that work (credit card, more mid-level properties) then do it.
Old Jan 24, 22, 11:55 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Hyatt Expl
Deleted
CO-PLAT likes this.

Last edited by schriste; Jan 24, 22 at 6:08 pm Reason: On second thought, off topic
Old Jan 24, 22, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by skj View Post
I'll disagree a bit here and say, IMHO, your stays can be representative of the HH and HP brands. Both properties you mention were either Summerfield Suites or AmeriSuites before those chains were acquired by Hyatt about 15 years ago. If you stay in those old properties, your experiences are not atypical. As others have mentioned, the newer build HH and HP properties can be nice, but even some of those are starting to show their age.
agreed and the same is true re: old vs new Courtyards by Marriott.
Old Jan 24, 22, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I don't understand the question: Globalist is far better than anything Marriott "offers". Obviously spend for Hyatt😉I'm lifetime Titanium and only use Marriott as a back up now or for particular properties that I like, usually StR or LC. I still haven't spent a dime on a room at Marriott in over a year. Still using points.

I will always spend and go out of my way to requalify for Hyatt and don't even think of Marriott now, even if comparable spot cheaper.

The treatment at Park Hyatts are far superior to anything I get in the Marriott world. My problem is right now I'm stuck in one country and there aren't enough Hyatts where I am. I spent 40 nights at 1 Park Hyatt last year on vacation of sorts. I expect to ty stay at same property a lot again this year to requalify.

I'll do a mattress run if need be at a cheap Urcove or HH for 20 nights if I have to as the PH benefits are so good.

Now, if you only stay st HH and HPs, then Marriott is fine. Hyatts benefit advantage come out at PHs and some GHs and HRs.

At lower price point, Marriott is probably superior because of the price and spread advantage. Earn at cheaper ones and redeem at StR if points aren't devalued too much

​​​​​
EuropeanPete and UA-NYC like this.
Old Jan 24, 22, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, seems like I should keep going with Hyatt and maybe figure out a way to find the age of some of these properties before booking. I worked for Tripadvisor for many years earlier in my career so I'm well aware of the value of reviews, but despite checking the reviews for both of these properties, the experiences were pretty bad. I wish there were better ways to summarize the feedback here on these properties but for now this is very helpful, so again thanks to everyone for your help.
Old Jan 24, 22, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'll disagree a bit here and say, IMHO, your stays can be representative of the HH and HP brands. Both properties you mention were either Summerfield Suites or AmeriSuites before those chains were acquired by Hyatt about 15 years ago. If you stay in those old properties, your experiences are not atypical. As others have mentioned, the newer build HH and HP properties can be nice, but even some of those are starting to show their age.
You can instantly identify a lot of these older HPs by glancing at a picture of the exterior of the building. IME the bad ones all look alike. It's also bad if you see a room photo that has a bright mustard colored sofa rather than the newer beige and even newer gray color scheme. Some of the new HPs and HH have bare (simulated wood) floors with just area rugs.

The new HHs have kitchens with GE Profile appliances, stainless steel of course, including a combination microwave and convection oven and a nice quiet full size dishwasher with a sanitizing cycle. However, I was surprised that my studio suite didn't have a full sized refrigerator/freezer but just a large under-counter one built into the island.

IME the best HPs have individually designed buildings for their site and they *do* have some senior one bedroom suites, usually with a large bathroom (shower only) and also a kitchen (full sized refrigerator, sink, microwave, and lots of counter space). I've been given these rooms as Glob upgrades (without using a TSU, which I don't think can be used for HP). Look also for HPs designed into historical buildings (downtown St Paul and downtown Des Moines for example).
Old Jan 24, 22, 4:49 pm

We are in the middle of a world war called Covid and you think you can fairly compare individual properties under a Hyatt or Marriott Flag? How about wait until we win the war?
Old Jan 24, 22, 4:59 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MikeBOS View Post
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, seems like I should keep going with Hyatt and maybe figure out a way to find the age of some of these properties before booking. I worked for Tripadvisor for many years earlier in my career so I'm well aware of the value of reviews, but despite checking the reviews for both of these properties, the experiences were pretty bad. I wish there were better ways to summarize the feedback here on these properties but for now this is very helpful, so again thanks to everyone for your help.
This post does a nice job of identifying the HHs and HPs that were part of the AmeriSuites/Summerfield Suites (and other) acquisitions.
FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatts - Property Index & Reviews on Flyertalk
Old Jan 24, 22, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This post does a nice job of identifying the HHs and HPs that were part of the AmeriSuites/Summerfield Suites (and other) acquisitions.
FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatts - Property Index & Reviews on Flyertalk
Not every acquisition is bad. HP Minneapolis downtown was an Embassy Suites. It has a pretty nice lobby and big atrium with more evening F&B choices than most HPs. Rooms were renovated and there are a lot of large suites.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 24, 22, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks, this is really helpful...I'll go out of my way to avoid the properties on this list.
Old Jan 24, 22, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat / LTG, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec
Adding a different perspective here — I was a Hyatt Diamond until a year or so before the SPG/Marriott merger, and ended up switching back to SPG because it was getting too hard to make status with Hyatt (my travel patterns changed).

If I could make the stays for Hyatt Globalist, I would absolutely switch back immediately — and I have stayed in at least one of those two hotels. I will probably figure out a way once the pandemic is over and I finally hit LTP.

I have stayed at some incredibly disappointing Marriott properties over the past few years (Courtyard ATL Downtown springs to mind, where they downgraded me to a room without a desk, as a Titanium). I'm not going to lie and say I didn't have similar experiences at a few Hyatt properties. But I have had almost no *exceptional* experiences in several years of stays with Marriott -- and had too many to count with Hyatt. Obviously the industry has changed, but service was a big part of that.

As an aside — while the former AmeriSuites / Summerfield Suites properties deserve extra scrutiny, I've had excellent stays at others. Just pay extra attention when considering them; as MSPeconomist mentions, the old furniture is distinctive (no arm on the end of the sofa for HP).
Old Jan 24, 22, 7:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Hilton/IHG Diamond, LT UA Silver.
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
But I have had almost no *exceptional* experiences in several years of stays with Marriott -- and had too many to count with Hyatt. Obviously the industry has changed, but service was a big part of that.
Can't way I've had exceptional stays at either in the past few years. Really, the only ones I recall were at pre-merger SPG properties. I focused on Hyatt last year and made Glob and now I'm wondering why I bothered because I don't see a lot of difference between the two aside from the obvious footprint disparity. I don't get to stay at high-end properties for work travel and on my under-$150/night limit there's little to differentiate them.

Anyway as has been stated, there are some great HP/HH properties and there are many terrible ones. Read reviews here and maybe TripAdvisor. Same is gonna happen at Marriott/Hilton/IHG.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 24, 22, 8:08 pm

In Texas, one of our favorites has been Hyatt Place in Corpus Christi, a Level 2 property. We have been able (as a family) to get a few rooms and enjoyed the closeness to the beach, without having to pay outrageous amounts of money to stay at beachfront properties. Also have stayed at a Hyatt Place & Hyatt House in Austin that were very nice - even though they were not new. Look around & you may be surprised. Look especially at the newer properties.

Last edited by Lou123; Jan 24, 22 at 8:08 pm Reason: Correction
Old Jan 24, 22, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
As an aside — while the former AmeriSuites / Summerfield Suites properties deserve extra scrutiny, I've had excellent stays at others. Just pay extra attention when considering them; as MSPeconomist mentions, the old furniture is distinctive (no arm on the end of the sofa for HP).
Agreed, I’ve been at some of those converted Amerisuites. They were 100% adequate for the task. But I probably wouldn’t notice if there was a pea under my mattress.
cfabar1 likes this.

Search this Thread