Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Points now limited in usability?

Hyatt Points now limited in usability?

Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Minimum stay is the most common cause I've seen for non-availability of awards. Unless you are talking about a peak property (like Ventana) or a high-demand date.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I'm not super familiar with all the technical rules of Hyatt redemptions, but whatever they are, award availability is extremely limited in warm weather destinations I have looked at for Christmas, MLK day, etc. It's the same for Marriott and such, but the point is that availability seems to be getting worse. Hyatt points are worth more than competitors, but that is hard to take advantage if there is no availability. The mechanism (minimum night requirements, changing definition of base rooms, reducing number of base rooms, etc) is irrelevant, the end result is less availability.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by dr58
TI never heard back, but 2 days later, the issue was resolved and plenty of award availability popped up. I suspect this practice may be getting more widespread, sadly.
I mentioned this in another thread, but I reached out to Hyatt regarding an HP that wasn't offering basic rooms for points bookings. Took them an hour to "fix the problem" (actually took half a day, but when I originally reached out at night they said they needed to wait til the hotel's office was open in the morning) and the next morning it was available. So, in some instances it can be a quick fix.
poptarts likes this.

Last edited by projectmaximus; Dec 15, 2021 at 7:03 pm
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I'm not super familiar with all the technical rules of Hyatt redemptions, but whatever they are, award availability is extremely limited in warm weather destinations I have looked at for Christmas, MLK day, etc.
You're surprised? Awards have always tended to be scarce at high demand locations during high demand periods.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're surprised? Awards have always tended to be scarce at high demand locations during high demand periods.
Yeah I don't get it - we're 2 weeks away from a peak holiday week and MLK weekend is only a month away, so any limitation there is wholly unsurprising...how about Spring Break? Memorial Day? Labor Day? That would be a lot more telling about "issues".
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I'm not super familiar with all the technical rules of Hyatt redemptions, but whatever they are, award availability is extremely limited in warm weather destinations I have looked at for Christmas, MLK day, etc. It's the same for Marriott and such, but the point is that availability seems to be getting worse. Hyatt points are worth more than competitors, but that is hard to take advantage if there is no availability. The mechanism (minimum night requirements, changing definition of base rooms, reducing number of base rooms, etc) is irrelevant, the end result is less availability.
I think the issue is that you and millions of other Americans (who are much more points rich than people from other countries) are now all looking at the same relatively few destinations. So Hawaii is basically full (though I did manage to get points at the HR Kauai in January). Meanwhile every hotel in Asia is open on points and many more than usual in Europe.
nsx, Adelphos, tearex and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I think the issue is that you and millions of other Americans (who are much more points rich than people from other countries) are now all looking at the same relatively few destinations. So Hawaii is basically full (though I did manage to get points at the HR Kauai in January). Meanwhile every hotel in Asia is open on points and many more than usual in Europe.
Yes, while there are definitely some problem properties (Andaz Maui being a good example), and some new additions to that list (such as PH Aviara and possibly HR Mission Bay), I've found Hyatt award availability to generally be pretty good recently. (FWIW, Marriott's not bad either, though the cost tends to be higher in relative terms and the lesser benefits, particularly upgrades, make Marriott redemptions less attractive overall for me.)
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Yes, while there are definitely some problem properties (Andaz Maui being a good example), and some new additions to that list (such as PH Aviara and possibly HR Mission Bay), I've found Hyatt award availability to generally be pretty good recently. (FWIW, Marriott's not bad either, though the cost tends to be higher in relative terms and the lesser benefits, particularly upgrades, make Marriott redemptions less attractive overall for me.)
I was looking for last minute, week between Christmas / New Years hotels in any coastal / warm weather location (passport is being renewed, which limited certain Caribbean destinations / Europe). Wasn't seeing really anything for Hyatt and very limited options with Marriott. Ended up redeeming via Hilton. But everything seemed sold out, and cash prices seemed to average $750-$800 a night regardless of the location.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Hyatt Regency in Maul from 17 Jan till 20 Jan. Nothing available for points, but 11 rooms showing up for cash bookings from 2 Queen Beds, partial ocean view to Ocean Front Suite (not standard suite). Are these all non base rooms?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Originally Posted by mayday23
Hyatt Regency in Maul from 17 Jan till 20 Jan. Nothing available for points, but 11 rooms showing up for cash bookings from 2 Queen Beds, partial ocean view to Ocean Front Suite (not standard suite). Are these all non base rooms?

I believe partial ocean view is not a base room.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
This is Hyatt properties be extremely greedy, or at least way more greedy than the other 2 programs where I have both points and access to friends/family pricing. I have 3 free night Hyatt certs that expire on Dec 31 so I thought I would use them for a last minute pivot to a US trip (we cancelled plans to go to Jordan). I am not talking about really nice or expensive properties, every property in San Diego is blocking use of points and certs during the next 2 weeks. I called and asked for some help and nobody was able to say it was a minimum stay, it is just a " Unfortunately This property is not offering redemptions on points during this period" message. It is not that the property has no base rooms available either, this is a uniform block on use of points.

It's fine, I will take my business elsewhere, but anyone here defending Hyatt has Stockholm syndrome. No other brand is doing this or allowing franchisees to do it. And this isnt even because prices are high or inventory is limited. I'll stay on my $60 Marriott Explorer rate and laugh when we walk by the Hyatt.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
This is Hyatt properties be extremely greedy, or at least way more greedy than the other 2 programs where I have both points and access to friends/family pricing. I have 3 free night Hyatt certs that expire on Dec 31 so I thought I would use them for a last minute pivot to a US trip (we cancelled plans to go to Jordan). I am not talking about really nice or expensive properties, every property in San Diego is blocking use of points and certs during the next 2 weeks. I called and asked for some help and nobody was able to say it was a minimum stay, it is just a " Unfortunately This property is not offering redemptions on points during this period" message. It is not that the property has no base rooms available either, this is a uniform block on use of points.

It's fine, I will take my business elsewhere, but anyone here defending Hyatt has Stockholm syndrome. No other brand is doing this or allowing franchisees to do it. And this isnt even because prices are high or inventory is limited. I'll stay on my $60 Marriott Explorer rate and laugh when we walk by the Hyatt.
Seconded.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:32 pm

every property in San Diego is blocking use of points and certs during the next 2 weeks.
I just looked at San Diego for the next three nights (Thursday through Sunday) and virtually all Hyatt properties are offering base awards, including Manchester GH, HR Mission Bay, HR La Jolla, Alila Marea Encinitas (!), and even PH Aviara (!!!).

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you're searching correctly?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:41 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
…every property in San Diego is blocking use of points and certs during the next 2 weeks.
I just looked at San Diego for the next three nights (Thursday through Sunday) and virtually all Hyatt properties are offering base awards, including Manchester GH, HR Mission Bay, HR La Jolla, Alila Marea Encinitas (!), and even PH Aviara (!!!).

just to second Kacee . Ensure you do not have any corporate code inserted when searching.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:45 pm

I am not sure how you searched it, but there is no availability from my end as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.