Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Chase Ultimate Rewards portal - hotel booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Ultimate Rewards portal - hotel booking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
This information is incorrect regarding CDW coverage when using UR points to book the car rental. The Chase benefits guide states the following in the CDW section:

You are covered when Your name is embossed on an eligible card issued in the United States, and You use Your credit card Account and/or rewards programs associated with Your Account to initiate and complete Your entire car rental transaction. Only You, as the primary renter of the vehicle, and any additional drivers permitted by the Rental Car Agreement are covered

So in summary, when using Ultimate Rewards points to book a car rental through the Chase travel portal I get the same CDW coverage as when using my credit card and charging $ to my card.

I also updated the Chase CDW forum with this info as we are getting a little off topic from the original thread post but I wanted to make this clear because its an important issue.
"You use Your credit card Account and/or rewards programs associated with Your Account to initiate and complete Your entire car rental transaction. Only You, as the primary renter of the vehicle, and any additional drivers permitted by the Rental Car Agreement are covered" EXACTLY and as you noted you MUST use your CC when you "inituate" but you wont be since Chases (or whichever program you use) CC will be the card on record wtih the rental car as the initial CC used

OT same if you use your URs for say a UA tkt, since your CC wasnt used unless you have status you wont get the 1st bag free that the UA CC gives you since its Chases CC that made the purchase and UA has no idea which persons CC was used except it will know a Chase UA CC wasnt and showing the CC isnt 100% quanrantee to get a 1st bag free at checkin. I think it will work with a couple of Carriers not A among others.

So unless you know of a sure way to have Chase use your CC for the rental, you can rent the car give your CC at p/u but in Fact the cards CDW will be of no affect should you need to rely on it in the end.I think the only way to have the cards CDW apply is if a person purchases something else at p/u eg a car seat where your CC and not Chases will be charged but Im not 100% positive on that, I am that the CDW wont apply at least from when I asked and some friends who ended up being behind the 8 ball when their rental was hit while it was parked and had no idea who did it, since they didnt have collusion on their personal car they had to pay out of pocket for the repairs
skj likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
What about this statement from the Chase CDW benefits document confuses you? "and/or REWARDS PROGRAM associated to YOUR ACCOUNT to INITIATE AND COMPLTE Your entire car rental transaction"?

I even called the Chase benefits line to confirm this. It's documented in the benefits guide. It's important to keep in mind that the benefits I'm describing here are SPECIFIC TO the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. You might have a different Chase chard where the language is different that's why its important to review your individual card's benefits document for the fine print.

You can hop over to the Chase Auto Rental CDW forum to dive deeper if you like on all things Chase CDW : Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated] - Page 32 - FlyerTalk Forums

I'm glad I was able to confirm that CDW coverage is the same as my Sapphire Preferred card when using the UR travel portal to reserve a car
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by craz
OT same if you use your URs for say a UA tkt, since your CC wasnt used unless you have status you wont get the 1st bag free that the UA CC gives you since its Chases CC that made the purchase and UA has no idea which persons CC was used except it will know a Chase UA CC wasnt and showing the CC isnt 100% quanrantee to get a 1st bag free at checkin. I think it will work with a couple of Carriers not A among others.
The arguments provided are invalid because of a misunderstanding/misinterpretation of benefit terms.

You get free bag(s) on UA when the ticket is purchased with the Chase UA CC because that is the stipulation of the benefit. Paying with UR points is not the same as paying with a Chase UA CC because using UR points implies you are using a non-UA CC, so why would you get free bags?

Free checked bags on other carriers via a CC benefit are not an equitable example. There is no stipulation on the AA and DL CCs which require you to purchase the ticket with their branded CC to get the free bags. There is no need to show the CC at any time because it is an automatic benefit - you only need to be an active cardmember where the card is tied to the FF account and is traveling on the PNR.

A statement showing the use of UR points from the card with the CDW benefit should be more than sufficient for the benefits administrator if they couldn't already pull that up themselves.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:19 pm
Suspended

What about this statement from the Chase CDW benefits document confuses you? "and/or REWARDS PROGRAM associated to YOUR ACCOUNT to INITIATE AND COMPLTE Your entire car rental transaction"?

I even called the Chase benefits line to confirm this. It's documented in the benefits guide. It's important to keep in mind that the benefits I'm describing here are SPECIFIC TO the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. You might have a different Chase chard where the language is different that's why its important to review your individual card's benefits document for the fine print.

You can hop over to the Chase Auto Rental CDW forum to dive deeper if you like on all things Chase CDW : Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated] - Page 32 - FlyerTalk Forums

I'm glad I was able to confirm that CDW coverage is the same as my Sapphire Preferred card when using the UR travel portal to reserve a car

I apologize, after I posted I got a call that someone was waiting downstairs for me (they got here early). Anyways as I was logging off I indeed noticed "rewards" but had to run.I didnt notice when I actually read your post. thats Great news and probably the ONLY CC (at least that I know of) that will allow CDW to have coverage if your CC isnt the CC that is actually paying for the rental
Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Well now I want to check with Amex because I have lots of their rewards points as well. The point in all of this is reading and understanding the fine print.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
I use the AMEX car rental insurance program for $25 per rental.

I trust AMEX more than I trust Chase with anything and everything.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Well i booked 1 night with Marriott for this Friday night using the UR portal and paid with my credit card. The reason is I'm already over 60 nights on Hyatt this year and my Chase Sapphire gives me an annual $50 hotel credit if I book through their portal. The price was almost identical to what Marriott was charging for the room from the Marriott website. I'll see if Marriott gives me stay credit but once I again, I doubt it. This will be a one a year type of booking for me to get the $50 statement credit
Did you end up getting points and/or status credits for this stay?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamont2718
Did you end up getting points and/or status credits for this stay?
No. All I got was the Chase $50 statement credit, which posted almost immediately after my stay. Marriott did not give me stay credit for the reservation made through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. So, based on this, we can assume with almost 100% certainty that Hyatt would do the same.

That's why instead I will transfer any Chase UR points to Hyatt and then book through Hyatt using the points transferred in. The only way to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred annual $50 hotel credit is to book the stay through their portal so that will be a once a year thing for me.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I made a two-night reservation at a non-chain hotel in Ireland through the Chase portal. Using $, not UR points. May be $10-15 more than Booking.com, but I value the 5x UR points as much as the 7% I might be getting from TopCashBack if I were to do Booking.com. Also, the Booking.com is in Euros and I am guessing that could move against me $10 or more. Finally and most relevant here, I want to use up my $50 hotel credit from Chase Sapphire Preferred before I forget, since 99.9% of the time I am in the chain (Hyatt, Hilton etc.) gang.

So much for the rationale for booking a hotel through the Chase portal. Except that, oh yeah, they offer day before cancellation, and I think Booking.com is two days before. Which brings me to:

Am I correct that the Chase travel agency partner is taking prepayment on this, even though I swear I never saw anything saying that they are going to do it? There is already a hold for the full amount on my Chase Sapphire Preferred, whereas Booking.com did not place a hold and is explicit that payment is at the hotel. In this case, assuming the ability to cancel and get a refund is legit, paying ahead is fine with me (see my inexpert speculation on exchange rate movements, above), but the whole thing has a fishy smell to it.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I made a two-night reservation at a non-chain hotel in Ireland through the Chase portal. Using $, not UR points. May be $10-15 more than Booking.com, but I value the 5x UR points as much as the 7% I might be getting from TopCashBack if I were to do Booking.com. Also, the Booking.com is in Euros and I am guessing that could move against me $10 or more. Finally and most relevant here, I want to use up my $50 hotel credit from Chase Sapphire Preferred before I forget, since 99.9% of the time I am in the chain (Hyatt, Hilton etc.) gang.

So much for the rationale for booking a hotel through the Chase portal. Except that, oh yeah, they offer day before cancellation, and I think Booking.com is two days before. Which brings me to:

Am I correct that the Chase travel agency partner is taking prepayment on this, even though I swear I never saw anything saying that they are going to do it? There is already a hold for the full amount on my Chase Sapphire Preferred, whereas Booking.com did not place a hold and is explicit that payment is at the hotel. In this case, assuming the ability to cancel and get a refund is legit, paying ahead is fine with me (see my inexpert speculation on exchange rate movements, above), but the whole thing has a fishy smell to it.
I missed the connection - how is this related to Hyatt?
Also, Hold <> Payment. A gas pump will put a hold of $50 or $100, doesn't mean you're actually charged it.
And unless you saved off and show us what your T&C for your booking say, it could very well make sense. There are plenty of prepay AND cancellable rates out there. You pay up front, but you can cancel up to X days and get your money back. You really have to read the rate rules to determine what's going on. And only if they actually charge you, and your rate wasn't prepaid and you're not within the cancellation period would there actually be a problem with putting a charge on your card.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by jameswes
I missed the connection - how is this related to Hyatt?
Also, Hold <> Payment. A gas pump will put a hold of $50 or $100, doesn't mean you're actually charged it.
And unless you saved off and show us what your T&C for your booking say, it could very well make sense. There are plenty of prepay AND cancellable rates out there. You pay up front, but you can cancel up to X days and get your money back. You really have to read the rate rules to determine what's going on. And only if they actually charge you, and your rate wasn't prepaid and you're not within the cancellation period would there actually be a problem with putting a charge on your card.
Whoops. Mea culpa. Not related to Hyatt. I had Googled for a thread for the Chase portal and hotels -- hadn't looked closely at where it was nested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.