Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Hyatt Business Card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I think the point is that Ink cards aren’t subject to a 24-month wait.
Ah ok thanks. So they don't add to the 5/24. But you still have to cancel for several years before you can do another SUB?
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:31 am

[vil]
projectmaximus likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 21, 2024 at 5:55 pm
Old Oct 9, 2021, 9:43 am

Received an email solicitation for this card, but, as others have observed, I really don't see why anyone wouldn't just opt for one of the Inks, and transfer the points to Hyatt. Moreover, if I recall, my Ink Preferred is 3X on hotels? So, an extra 2 points is hardly worth the effort, especially given the inevitable devaluation that will ensue.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:23 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Can you elaborate on this? You can apply for multiple inks using different EINs or something?
Originally Posted by beltway
I think the point is that Ink cards aren’t subject to a 24-month wait.
Beltway is right. 1 person can farm ink subs. Plus, CIU CIC subs are free whereas this Hyatt Biz sub costs at least $100.

Very weird to see people try to defend this card. If Hilton, Marriott, or IHG released a card this bad, would anyone step up to defend it?
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Beltway is right. 1 person can farm ink subs. Plus, CIU CIC subs are free whereas this Hyatt Biz sub costs at least $100.

Very weird to see people try to defend this card. If Hilton, Marriott, or IHG released a card this bad, would anyone step up to defend it?
To make this card worthwhile they should offer 5th night free when booking with points and if that is too expensive for them 7th night free. Chase IHG card gives 4th night free when booking with points also Hilton and Marriott programs offer 5th night free without requiring an affiliated credit card.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Aside from the business card being a bad deal in general, the current SUB on the personal card (which has been running for most of this year) is really terrible.
beltway likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
To make this card worthwhile they should offer 5th night free when booking with points and if that is too expensive for them 7th night free. Chase IHG card gives 4th night free when booking with points also Hilton and Marriott programs offer 5th night free without requiring an affiliated credit card.
Agree. Even an uncapped 20% rebate at $50K spend (which is essentially a more flexible 5th night free) would have made this card worthwhile for high spenders IMO.

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Aside from the business card being a bad deal in general, the current SUB on the personal card (which has been running for most of this year) is really terrible.
I agree. Sad when the elevated SUB is just double EQNs
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by josephstern
Man. This thing is really getting panned by everyone here and the blogs.

My guess is that this is aimed toward those small businesses that will only use a "business" card for their business, and who want to accrue Hyatt points and nights.

Sure, they should just use a personal card, but some small businesses don't really get that you can cross over like that.
It's cleaner to use business cards for business. I'm about to hire a full-time bookkeeper (I run a 25-person small business) and I'm delighted to see this so that I can move my business spend from my WoH personal card to this WoH business card. It'll be nice to be able to give my employee access to just the Chase business cards. I qualify based on a mix of spend and actual stays. It will be straightforward for me to put $50k of general unbonused vendor spend on the card in January, get 25 EQN, and benefit from the rebate.

Given my scenario, I think I might drop the personal card, but we'll see..
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:42 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by ralphs
It's cleaner to use business cards for business. I'm about to hire a full-time bookkeeper (I run a 25-person small business) and I'm delighted to see this so that I can move my business spend from my WoH personal card to this WoH business card. It'll be nice to be able to give my employee access to just the Chase business cards. I qualify based on a mix of spend and actual stays. It will be straightforward for me to put $50k of general unbonused vendor spend on the card in January, get 25 EQN, and benefit from the rebate.

Given my scenario, I think I might drop the personal card, but we'll see..
I mean, there are years when I could dump my taxes on a card in January and have the bonus for 350+ days. The "risk" at that point is that the effective cut in cost for award stays would result in me diverting more spend over to other Chase cards (depending on the category). This would effectively mean that CSR dining/travel spend would be kicking back 3.6 Hyatt points on a transfer (thanks to the 20% bonus), which would be asignificant factor in adjusting where I'd drive my spend. NGL, if you offered me a card that gave that to me flat-out, I'd be tempted to apply with no SUB (obviously, I'd want one), since at that point I'd probably be able to run about 20-25 free nights/year (at an "average" category of 2.5, 25 nights runs a "base" total of 250,000 points [which would generate 50k in rebate, bringing the cost down to 200,000 points]. In such a scenario I'd probably be generating 36-41 nights/year from two credit cards [25-30 off of the Business card, depending on how early-year tax stuff shook out; 5 "base" nights from the personal card; and then 6-10 nights from personal card spend], so...yeah, Globalist with no cash spend sounds pretty nice to me.

[I won't break it down all the way, but I think a split of 40-ish nights from the CCs, 21 award nights, 4 FNA nights, and 35 paid nights feels like how a 100-night year would break down with Hyatt under these circumstances. The 200k points needed post-rebate would roughly break down to 25k from the paid stays themselves, 10-15k from other Chase-based sources, 45k from the milestone awards, and 120k or so from the CCs [incl. Hyatt spend triggering bonuses]].
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'm still having a problem understanding how to make the numbers work after year 1. Maybe my math isn't good but I don't see any compelling reasons to hold this card, even for a small business, over other business cards out there.

I'm a super Hyatt loyalist and was waiting for another CC. I never imagined that one would be released and I might/probably wouldn't sign up.

But here we are.
JetAway, beltway, Visconti and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I'm still having a problem understanding how to make the numbers work after year 1. Maybe my math isn't good but I don't see any compelling reasons to hold this card, even for a small business, over other business cards out there.

I'm a super Hyatt loyalist and was waiting for another CC. I never imagined that one would be released and I might/probably wouldn't sign up.

But here we are.
My calc is that after year 1, you earn 1.4 points/dollar on the first $50K in spend. You then also get 25 EQN. Then you stop using it. And that costs you $100.

That's not terrible. Assuming you'd already spend $15K on the personal, this $50K spend on the personal would net you 1 point/dollar and 20 EQN and save you $100. For $100, I'd take the extra 20K points and 5 EQN.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:45 am

My calc is that after year 1, you earn 1.4 points/dollar on the first $50K in spend. You then also get 25 EQN. Then you stop using it. And that costs you $100.

That's not terrible. Assuming you'd already spend $15K on the personal, this $50K spend on the personal would net you 1 point/dollar and 20 EQN and save you $100. For $100, I'd take the extra 20K points and 5 EQN.
You’re missing opportunity cost on spend which is around $500 if your $50K spend is entirely non-category spend. If your $50K spend is in lucrative categories (ie dining, groceries, travel, office supply stores, etc), your opportunity cost on spend increases dramatically. I mean even getting an additional 1 point per dollar with the BBL or even half an extra point per dollar with the CIU would net you much more than 20K WoH.

If you need to spend your way to Globalist, perhaps it could be worthwhile (it is easier to prevent overshooting with the personal card) but the 20K points is inconsequential. The additional $100 (more for people that accurate discount prepayments) is just the cost of admission to even begin to attempt this.

TL;DR OK for manufactured spenders that want to spend their way to status. Sub-optimal for people with legitimate business expenses.

This is a weak card because… Chase and Hyatt don’t care lol. One more time for the people in the back: Chase and Hyatt don’t care. They have both explicitly said this is not a priority for them and demonstrated it repeatedly over time. Any and all subsequent Chase WoH cards will be weaker than comparable Amex hotel cards for Marriott and Hilton. It sucks but it is what it is. Things would have been so much better if Chase took SPG and Amex took Hyatt IMO.
beltway and Visconti like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You’re missing opportunity cost on spend which is around $500 if your $50K spend is entirely non-category spend. If your $50K spend is in lucrative categories (ie dining, groceries, travel, office supply stores, etc), your opportunity cost on spend increases dramatically. I mean even getting an additional 1 point per dollar with the BBL or even half an extra point per dollar with the CIU would net you much more than 20K WoH.

If you need to spend your way to Globalist, perhaps it could be worthwhile (it is easier to prevent overshooting with the personal card) but the 20K points is inconsequential. The additional $100 (more for people that accurate discount prepayments) is just the cost of admission to even begin to attempt this.

TL;DR OK for manufactured spenders that want to spend their way to status. Sub-optimal for people with legitimate business expenses.

This is a weak card because… Chase and Hyatt don’t care lol. One more time for the people in the back: Chase and Hyatt don’t care. They have both explicitly said this is not a priority for them and demonstrated it repeatedly over time. Any and all subsequent Chase WoH cards will be weaker than comparable Amex hotel cards for Marriott and Hilton. It sucks but it is what it is. Things would have been so much better if Chase took SPG and Amex took Hyatt IMO.
Actually, the opportunity cost on the $50K in spend is at least $1000, no? 2% cards are readily available. In my case, it would be on my Freedom Unlimited, giving me 1.5 Hyatt points/dollar in one use case, so actually not too much higher than the 1.4 with the biz card.

And, of course, I'd only put non-bonused spend on here ever.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:53 am

Actually, the opportunity cost on the $50K in spend is at least $1000, no? 2% cards are readily available.
No. Opportunity cost is the loss of potential gain between two scenarios. You are now forgetting to factor in the rebate you earn from WoH. You still earn a return on spend just much smaller one. I generally use 2.5% or a 2.625% rebate for non category.

In my case, it would be on my Freedom Unlimited, giving me 1.5 Hyatt points/dollar in one use case, so actually not too much higher than the 1.4 with the biz card.

And, of course, I'd only put non-bonused spend on here ever.
You are talking about opening a new business credit card to put $50K spend on. I would argue your frame of reference should be another card you open, not a card you have now. Even then, given that UR > WoH (as a function of flexibility), the opportunity cost is not negligible especially as you are paying $100 for the privilege of paying this opportunity cost. For someone with even modest assets and access to BoA, they are effectively paying hundreds of dollars, not $100.

There’s just so much mental gymnastics required to justify this card. Only compelling feature of it is the faster EQN earn IMO. But even then, you would need to be buying a lot of EQNs to justify that additional $100+ AF (for me it’s $115).
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:59 am

Ah, it doesn't outright suck, but I'm certainly not gonna go out of my way to get it. Perhaps, if I didn't have the personal one; but, even then, I'd probably just to get the Inks. However, I do appreciate the poster who wants his employees to use the cards when staying at Hyatts--just really don't see any reason other than probably what it was intended for, I suppose. Sometimes, I forget that there are many who aren't just in this game to harvest points as efficiently as possible.

I'm a loyalist (I use this term very loosely), and I'd consider a business one if they were to up the ante.
WasKnown likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.