Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Compensation for smoke detector alert?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for smoke detector alert?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:36 pm

I would hit them up for 1000 points a minute or enough points for a free night which ever is greater
Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
Then again it didnt happen in the middle of your sleep but 30 mins before you wanted to get up and you want the World as compensation, it doesnt matter that the hotel didnt know that ,

Sorry I cant but feel its not the 30 mins of lost sleep but the chance to ca$h in that is #1, and instead of low balling an offer to the hotel you came on here to see what we thought was the max you could pull out of the hotel. I dont believe I ever did that , when I wanted to be compensated I told the hotel what I felt was fair and it wasnt based on how much did I think I could get out of them, but rather by what [ I ] felt would make me whole. And thats why I wouldnt have asked for anything for a 30 min loss of sleep, especially if I had control of when I would hit the sack
Whoa, project much? On what planet does "Would you ask for compensation? If so, what would you ask for?" mean that I "want the World as compensation" or that I "came on here to see what [you] thought was the max I could pull out of the hotel"? I came here to ask what other people would do in my situation.

And if it matters, I had limited control over when I hit the sack because I had a meeting until 1:15 a.m. (meetings with East Asia and Europe means someone gets the short end of the stick) and had to get up at 6:45 a.m. to catch a flight. That's why I really wanted the full 5 1/2 hours of sleep.

Last edited by SJC1K; Oct 4, 2021 at 5:56 pm Reason: Fix formatting.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Well this wins Most Amusing Thread of a Monday Evening.

You lost 30 minutes of sleep. Mention it to the GM and/or in the post-stay survey. Maybe they throw you a compensation bone. End of story.
LETTERBOY and solewalker like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC1K
Whoa, project much? On what planet does "Would you ask for compensation? If so, what would you ask for?" mean that I "want the World as compensation" or that I "came on here to see what [you] thought was the max I could pull out of the hotel"? I came here to ask what other people would do in my situation.

And if it matters, I had limited control over when I hit the sack because I had a meeting until 1:15 a.m. (meetings with East Asia and Europe means someone gets the short end of the stick) and had to get up at 6:45 a.m. to catch a flight. That's why I really wanted the full 5 1/2 hours of sleep.
Sorry but in my then 2 decades being on FT, I found most of the times (not every time) that when a person posts as you did that their goal was to max out what they could get. Its pretty much that way on another nameless site where they felt they hit the jackpot by something going wrong. So the person who felt wronged didnt want to ask say for 5K in pts when others would end up posting for alot less then what you went thru I got a heck of alot more

When I felt wronged by a hotel, I told them what I wanted to be made whole, at times they agreed, others felt it was too much and yes a few times I was told I will be getting more then I asked for. But I didnt come onto FT or any site and present my case I spoke with the FD or GM or MOD

For some reason I can sleep thru an alarm clock but not a phone call. Cant count the # of times I got up before the requested time for my wake-up call and was out of bed and my call time came and past w/o the call ever coming thru
. Now thats a Failure on the hotels part since they didnt know I was already up , I did mention it when checking out so that hopefully what ever went wrong wont with the next person, Compensation was exactly what I asked for NOTHING, but it was a Fact that the hotel Failed.

As i said already since they were Johnny on the spot to fix it , I wouldnt hold it against them unless I knew they didnt bother changing the batteries, thats not that I thought thats why it happened but knew it for a fact, which unless some employee told me that was the case theres no way I know of to know that = the hotel gets a pass from me. You dont want to give them a pass, speak to the Mgr and tell them what you want to be made whole
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Smoke alarm batteries have a general level of predictability. A hotel absolutely can schedule regular battery changes so that the alarm doesn't go off randomly at 6am.

I agree with you, response was good, and should be considered as a mitigator.
Right, if I was managing a hotel with a couple of hundred rooms, I would hopefully have sufficient data to tell me how long those batteries tend to last and then make sure they get swapped a month before the expected “failure” time to avoid having them go off in the middle of the night (as mine at home are apparently guaranteed to do). And yes, that’s not optimal from a battery utilization point of view, but in the hospitality business I would rather not do the swap at 3am or even 6:15am when a guest calls down to the front desk.

Interesting timing - this week is national fire prevention week
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Right, if I was managing a hotel with a couple of hundred rooms, I would hopefully have sufficient data to tell me how long those batteries tend to last and then make sure they get swapped a month before the expected “failure” time to avoid having them go off in the middle of the night (as mine at home are apparently guaranteed to do). And yes, that’s not optimal from a battery utilization point of view, but in the hospitality business I would rather not do the swap at 3am or even 6:15am when a guest calls down to the front desk.

Interesting timing - this week is national fire prevention week
This might be reasonable as a general rule of thumb, but there are IE models that take account of the distribution of time to failure versus the "cost" of failure and use decision theory to make recommendations about when parts should be replaced in advance of failure. It's not rocket science.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This might be reasonable as a general rule of thumb, but there are IE models that take account of the distribution of time to failure versus the "cost" of failure and use decision theory to make recommendations about when parts should be replaced in advance of failure. It's not rocket science.
I know, that’s a good general observation but in this particular instance it’s pure speculation as to what caused the OPs alarm to sound. Might have been negligence, might not. I replace all mine at home on a regular schedule. Last time was 3 weeks ago and the damn things started beeping 10 days later.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
If I were to ask for comp .. every time the alarm has gone off at my stays...who knows where I would be...
leave it... just let the front desk know.. if you want too....
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Emailing hotel management to tell them about the issue is reasonable. I would not ask for compensatione we get, just point out the problem.

Maybe you get something but likely not for a half hour.

Having to change rooms would be another story.

Last edited by beachfan; Oct 5, 2021 at 8:09 am
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by craz
You guys got to be kidding me. 1stly Id rather have a smoke alarm go off due to malfunction, then for it to malfunction when it should have gone off and didnt

When it comes to issues for compensation, my $1 rule is Did the hotel have control of the situation and did it happen due to negligence on their part and how did they do to fix the problem. Here I just dont see that hotel was at fault unless the OP. knows that hotel knew there was a problem with the alarm.

Also once notified they were very prompt in fixing it

This is just IMO a case of bad luck and I wouldn't ask for anything
It is disturbing to me that the hotel doesn't have something as basic in health and safety as a regular schedule for changing the batteries in these devices. We change them in our home every year on New Years Day. My husband buys the batteries in advance and then gets up on the ladder and swaps them out. He also labels each one with the date installed with a Sharpie.

To me this is just an ordinary part of maintaining a place of accommodation. Nine volt batteries are about $2 each when purchased in bulk, and anyone who can use a stepladder can replace them in the space of about five minutes per, and that's accounting for the time to move the ladder to the next room.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by SJC1K
I stayed at a Hyatt Regency property last night. My own schedule meant that I was only going to sleep from 1:15 a.m. until 6:45 a.m., but at 6:15 a.m. the smoke detector in my room started chirping loudly every 30 seconds or so. After I figured out that it was the smoke detector, I pulled the battery but it kept chirping. I called the front desk and they sent someone up to replace the battery in about 10 minutes, but my last half hour of sleep was lost.

Would you ask for compensation? If so, what would you ask for? Half an hour of sleep isn't much, but I was counting on it to be fully functional today. A hotel guest expects to be able to sleep, and unlike noise from other guests or fire alarms, this is 100% within the control of the hotel. If you change the battery regularly, this will never happen.

I wouldn't get into the specifics of when you planned to sleep, but just state that your sleep was disrupted when you were awoken by the chirping. I wouldn't ask for anything in compensation but let them know that you were disappointed by you sleep being affected by what should have been an item that should be part of a routine maintenance program. If they don't make a modest offer of points or an upgrade when you return, take your business elsewhere in the future.
Old May 25, 2023, 10:47 am

Adding to the theme, I think certain things are table stakes staying at a hotel. Like you expect a bed in the room, the other is there is maintenance on the things like alarms because when that chirps it’s the most incredibly annoying thing and can lead to injury. In my case, I was staying at a hotel, and the co2 detector was doing the 2 am chirp ( separately in the age of AI there’s got to be a better way than this chirp but I digress) knowing the poor quality experience at check in I figured I’d take care of it myself given I needed to be awake again in a few hours. Well I slipped off the chair and ended up breaking my shoulder. While it’s my own fault for getting on a chair, I do think it is table stakes that the batteries are checked extremely regularly to prevent the chirp. Unfortunately I haven’t found and lawyers willing to take the risk of my case.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 12:58 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
From Briant2828 in what is currently the post above this one, with emphasis added from me but no alteration to the text..

Adding to the theme, I think certain things are table stakes staying at a hotel. Like you expect a bed in the room, the other is there is maintenance on the things like alarms because when that chirps it’s the most incredibly annoying thing and can lead to injury. In my case, I was staying at a hotel, and the co2 detector was doing the 2 am chirp ( separately in the age of AI there’s got to be a better way than this chirp but I digress) knowing the poor quality experience at check in I figured I’d take care of it myself given I needed to be awake again in a few hours. Well I slipped off the chair and ended up breaking my shoulder. While it’s my own fault for getting on a chair, I do think it is table stakes that the batteries are checked extremely regularly to prevent the chirp. Unfortunately I haven’t found and lawyers willing to take the risk of my case.
This is a heck of a first post on FT.

[BTW, if you had lawyers in this case they'd probably be advising you not to post things on a public forum openly admitting fault. You do not volunteer an admission like that if you're pursuing legal action, and you're not as anonymous as you think you are on the internet, especially in the face of a corporation whose attorneys know how to carry out discovery. No, I'm not a lawyer and I am not offering legal advice...I'm merely offering a dose of common sense as somebody darkly amused at a poster coming on here and in their first post both dragging an old thread up and managing to shoot a putative legal case in the foot.]
Old May 31, 2023, 7:38 am

If I had to guess, most if not all hotels have hard wired smoke detectors and send a signal directly to the front desk or fire department. If you had successfully reach it, you would have been disappointed by your inability to disconnect it.

Perhaps there actually was a CO2 issue
Old May 31, 2023, 12:27 pm

I probably wouldn’t ask for consideration. I wouldn’t want to be flagged over this sort of concern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.